Most important quality for a ..................... plane

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Most important quality for a ..................... plane

Post by Phoenix » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I was wondering what people think is most important (eg: capacity in airliners) in different types of planes, the type changing every week.
Just answer and underneath write the quality and the number of votes for it (like, Speed:11 Manoeuvrability: 14, etc) adding you own vote.

So what is most important in a fighter plane?

Manoeuvrability: 1

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Re: Most important quality for a ..................... plane

Post by waspe414 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Engines.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green

SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Being able to go past the politicians.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:02 pm

SvenPhantom wrote:Being able to go past the politicians.
QFT

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:45 pm

An intelligent well trained and motivated pilot.
Because with out him any plane is just an inert pile of pieces parts just sitting there.
Image[/align=centre]

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:37 am

Reliability. Because the best fighter for the job is always the fighter that is there, not the fighter with the most bells and whistles. Of course, that also feeds into fuel/weapons endurance.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Backsword
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Backsword » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:07 am

Ability to get off the ground and stay off the ground.

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 am

For aircraft in general, you'd want to say probably their aerodynamic drag vs lift.

For modern fighters & bombers, that's a bit harder, with currently agility becoming less important and avionics and weapons becoming more so.

I was just reading a new report about the Next Generation Bomber program and it appears that the USAF wants it to have a secondary AESA system capable of performing extreme electronic warfare:
frying enemy electronics, jamming enemy sensors, etc as well as being able to remotely hack into enemy networks.

I mean seriously; imagine the B-3 entering a battlefield, finding an enemy AWACS, jumping in on it's system and then revealing the locations & objectives of all the aircraft linked with that AWACS? Pretty epic stuff right there.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Dragon029 wrote:For aircraft in general, you'd want to say probably their aerodynamic drag vs lift.

For modern fighters & bombers, that's a bit harder, with currently agility becoming less important and avionics and weapons becoming more so.

I was just reading a new report about the Next Generation Bomber program and it appears that the USAF wants it to have a secondary AESA system capable of performing extreme electronic warfare:
frying enemy electronics, jamming enemy sensors, etc as well as being able to remotely hack into enemy networks.

I mean seriously; imagine the B-3 entering a battlefield, finding an enemy AWACS, jumping in on it's system and then revealing the locations & objectives of all the aircraft linked with that AWACS? Pretty epic stuff right there.
Will the next-gen bomber be able to do that. WOW!

Could you please post a link to this report. I think it will be very interesting.

Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Post by Iceman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Dragon029 wrote:For aircraft in general, you'd want to say probably their aerodynamic drag vs lift.

QFT
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax

Airbourne
Frame Rate Serial Killer
Favorite Aircraft: F-16 Fighting Falcon

Post by Airbourne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 am

gound crew for fighter pilots

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 am

Phoenix wrote:

Will the next-gen bomber be able to do that. WOW!

Could you please post a link to this report. I think it will be very interesting.
Seems I misread it a bit; the article states:

It's a bit confusing by what they've said: if you want to simply shut down something from communicating use microwaves to fry their electronics. "Network invasion weapon" is an odd term for something like this, but gives the impression that they'll be gaining access to enemy networks (invading them) - definitely not impossible given the processing power you could stuff in the space available in a B-2-like aircraft.

However, I think I'll stay skeptical - they have only said "possibly", the methods may become too complex to be reliable enough, or we may not see such tech until a 'block II' or upgrade of these aircraft - or until something else like a new drone or the 2037 bomber.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

halberdier25
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by halberdier25 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:05 pm

If they went ahead with the re-engining of the B-52's, they were gonna replace the fuel tanks on the wingtips with jamming pods. You'd have enough distance between them (i.e., a long enough wingspan) and enough power being poured out of the new engines' generators to jam a city from a thousand miles away. I'm guessing the same capability is gonna be in the 2037 bomber. The 2018 bomber probably isn't going to happen.

Dragon hit the nail on the head: ability to provide the pilot the greatest situational awareness so that he can strike fast and strike hard.