How can i get involved???

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-15C_Eagle

How can i get involved???

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I want to know how I can take the next step in getting involved in YSFHQ other than posting on the forums. Also for people who have been members for a while I would love to hear your story about YSFHQ.
Last edited by IM NOT A DUCK on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever they told you remember one thing... IM NOT A DUCK
ImageImage

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Re: How can i get involved???

Post by Shiny Rice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Go figure. To become staff or a member of the groups you mentioned, you have to be on for some time and/or (except for staff) and be good or involved with marketing or modding. When I started in the community in 2011 I tried to start my squadron right off the bat, but I didn't have people to do so. You should talk with one of these people and maybe they'll have an idea on how to.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

Nath
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: Panavia Tornado GR4

Post by Nath » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

That's what happened with me, keep posting and things and you might be able to find openings for squadrons or other things, that's basically how I began being a YSUpload Mod. Good luck

IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Nath wrote:That's what happened with me, keep posting and things and you might be able to find openings for squadrons or other things, that's basically how I began being a YSUpload Mod. Good luck
OK DON'T POST ANYTHING ELSE YOU ARE 123 POSTS (pardon my caps)
ImageImage

Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:37 pm

If you really want to contribute to the community, probably one of the best ways is learning how to mod. The forum is packed with information, so it's pretty easy to start.

Here is a good way to learn, but remember there are entire forums dedicated to modding in general.

Decaff has released a great deal of tutorials on how to mod using blender and Scenery Editor, so you can also start there too. If you have any questions, just ask. However, don't be afraid to look around. The forum has accumulated a lot of information over the years, so any basic questions you have most likely been answered.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm

You don't really have to be a mod or anything to be involved. First, maybe you should be a bit more serious because I don't see anything from you that would say you are. Also it's not about how many posts you have or how much you mod or anything. Most admins here have less than 1000 posts. If you want to get involved, the answer is sitting right in front of you. Go do something, join a squad, VA, whatever. Just have fun. Not everyone is being asked to contribute. We just want you to enjoy this place and use it for what it's worth. If you see something that you would like to change, voice your concern. You don't have to be special to contribute is all I'm saying.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Yep.

I probably contributed less by being an admin, than a regular poster.

Being a modder wont get you any closer to being a moderator/admin. I think what helped me become an admin was the amount of time that I've been in YS and the people I became friends with. We all sort of grew up together through YS. 7 years is also a long time to get to know someone's habits online.

I've been involved with pretty much all types of groups in YS - Military, civilian and aero. It also helps when you contribute some knowledge back into the community such as tutorials. Now that I've done everything, I'm going back to the start. I've started a server and fly online at a regular pace. I'm having more fun now than I have in months.

tl;dr - Being an admin is hard work, you begin to lose touch with what YS is actually about (flying) and you get bored. It isn't that great a job.

IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 am

Just to clear things up this is not a request to become a moderator I just wanted information about how i can get more involved and to be honest i don't even want to be a moderator.
ImageImage

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 am

Being a moderator is highly over rated just ask one.WAY TO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY AND FAR TO LITTLE APPRECIATION for necessary every day duties to keep our site from going anarchistic.They do a thankless job with no real reward other than self gratification for a job well done. ;)
Image[/align=centre]

IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 am

Gunny wrote:Being a moderator is highly over rated just ask one.WAY TO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY AND FAR TO LITTLE APPRECIATION for necessary every day duties to keep our site from going anarchistic.They do a thankless job with no real reward other than self gratification for a job well done. ;)
Very well said Gunny. I own a few popular servers on a game called Garry's Mod and I am bugged about people wanting to be admin all the time, but they don't realize it is not a fun thing to do.
Philster wrote:If you really want to contribute to the community, probably one of the best ways is learning how to mod. The forum is packed with information, so it's pretty easy to start.

Here is a good way to learn, but remember there are entire forums dedicated to modding in general.

Decaff has released a great deal of tutorials on how to mod using blender and Scenery Editor, so you can also start there too. If you have any questions, just ask. However, don't be afraid to look around. The forum has accumulated a lot of information over the years, so any basic questions you have most likely been answered.
This is the best info i got from this topic thx bro i will check it out.
ImageImage

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:22 am

My work as an admin is generally keep little things organised (not big things!) and generally edit posts if the need arises.

Recently, i've just been editing groups and assigning/unassigning people accordingly and keeping them all fresh and current. I also fix a few permissions issues.

By biggest contribution is of course my orb project, which I could easily do without admin/mod privelleges. I just do what I can.

Think less about "what can I do for hq?" for now, and more "what can hq do for me". Eventually, you'll find gaps etc, and then you can fix them or add things etc.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!