Thought of the day.

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Thought of the day.

Post by Neocon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:31 pm

BARRACUZ wrote:What year? What trim? how is it with gas? How about maintenance? Do you have to spend much every year on maintenance(alternator, bushings, fluid changes, etc)? Can you do donuts comfortably and easily without having too worry to much about the rear bearings?
I have a 2005 Silverado LS extended cab rwd. It had 79,950 miles when I got it and was well under half the price of a new one in 2009 despite being in great shape inside and out. It gets 20-22 mph on the highway and 16-17 in town on Walmart cheap gas. In six years I've put 50k miles on it. I did have a sensor and a gasket go out this winter and they were expensive ($500) to have replaced. That was the first time in the six years I've had it that I had a major problem to be repaired. I did have an issue with the pump on the windshield washer right after I got it, but that was cheap. I have never attempted to do a doughnut, although I have eaten them in it. When it's time for an oil change after 3,000 miles, the oil is almost always on the full mark. I plan to change the spark plugs and air filter for the first time this spring or summer.

From my experience, which is three vehicles now, the Chevy trucks from 2003 to 2005 seem to be a lot better about fuel and oil use than the early 90s trucks, but when something breaks it costs a lot more to fix and is more difficult to find because of all the electronics and plastic parts all over the engine.

My thought of the day:
If you are in NYC and you walk into a gun store that is set up exactly like an Ammu-Nation and find Michael De Santa working the counter, you ought to know you are in a hidden camera operation set up by Bloomberg.

My response: "Oh, that's the revolver that kid found in his mom's purse? I guess that boot over there is the one your friend Trevor used to stomp on Johnny Klebitz's face?"

RzB
Favorite Aircraft: Su-27 Flanker

Thought of the day.

Post by RzB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:46 pm

NightRaven wrote:
RzB wrote:A Datsun? Hell no.
no u

<R34

TOTD: this holiday is turning out to be school in disguise.
also servers should host Japanese maps more.
Was joking boys. R34 on looks by far, have to yank out all that awd crap though...
BARRACUZ wrote:
RzB wrote:A Datsun? Hell no. @Barra getting something inbetween is always nice. Beaters are cheaper but if you have to sink a bunch of money and effort in keeping them running then it's not worth it.

Also Wankel4life.
I don't mind working on my cars. In fact, I believe that everytime you open the hood you and your vehicle enhance and strengthen the already strong and romantic bond that you both have.

Wankels are good only until you port the housings. That's a $1500 job itself. Or you could dremel it out yourself and drive around with shavings tearing up the apex seals.
I'm just hoping the APEX seals in my RX8 hold up for awhile. Although I already have money set aside for that possiblilty. A catless exhaust would gain me about 40BHP, then removing the rev limiter. Would need abit more capital to put a turbo in it, however replacing the rotors/seals every 30,000 miles would get expensive. However an engine that weighs all of 250LB pumping out over 450BHP is pretty insane. Also best handling car ever.

Best thing about Chevys is the parts are so easy to get and cheap. Also you scavenge GMCs for parts as well. Dodge is the opposite, parts cost an arm, a leg and your first born child from mopar. What I liked best about my old Ranger, I could fix anything easily myself and steal parts from junked fords/Mazdas.(Just kidding I paid for the parts.)

Thought of the day...
GTAV is being sold for 60$ pre-order on steam. Seriously rockstar has made so much money from GTAV launch and GTA online that they should've dropped it to 30$. Especially since there is no disk involved/case etc.

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Thought of the day.

Post by Neocon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:24 pm

I waited a year for the price to drop. For a while it was $35 on Amazon around August, so I got it then for my PS3. I didn't realize until recently that there are people buying for both versions of XBox, PS3, PS4, and Windows. They're making a fortune, but they earned it. People love it.

Thought of the day:
Paula Deen should make a video where people wander into her restaurant and she explains how each item on her menu will clog their arteries.

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 am

Patrick31337 wrote:[post]85213[/post] Paula Deen should make a video where people wander into her restaurant and she explains how each item on her menu will clog their arteries.
This reminds me of an aircraft emergency evacuation experiment I once saw on Nat Geo's "Crowd Control". Basically, they're trying to show that it is more easier to make people follow proper evacuation procedures (making the brace position, follow the cabin lights, take off high-heeled shoes when sliding down) by reminding them the consequences of not doing so (risk of breaking your neck, die in a fire, accidentally injuring the person below).

TOTD: I typed in "yak-141" on Google to take a look at images of said plane. I was surprised to see a statement that said Lockheed had created a partnership with Yakovlev after the fall of the USSR to obtain info to be used on the upcoming F-35B.

http://in.rbth.com/blogs/2013/06/07/f-3 ... 25935.html
http://aviationintel.com/yak-141-freest ... in-moscow/
http://www.airvectors.net/avredvt.html#m3

The more you know I guess.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Greenhorn
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A320, B737, F-5E, Gripen, Mirage F-1

Thought of the day.

Post by Greenhorn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:01 pm

I wish I had a tank to drive to college. There are new drivers in my college who manage to hit parked cars. HOW DO YOU MUCK UP THAT BAD THE BUMPER'S FLOWN OFF MATE
The War RoomImageMalaysiaball, 2nd from the left
Triggered easily, do not startle

A firm believer of using UTC times for international events

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Thought of the day.

Post by Flake » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:25 am

Welcome to university life hahaha!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Thought of the day.

Post by Neocon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:15 am

Thought of the day: I'm not a fan of workplace violence, but the thing that made people like Jeremy Clarkson so much was that he says and does things that other people are too scared to do in the entertainment industry.

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Thought of the day.

Post by Flake » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:35 am

If someone wants to break into your house, it doesn't matter how many locks or barriers you set, they ARE going to break into your house.

My housemates locked all my doors today, I managed to break in in 5 seconds flat.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

NavyGator
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Prop-Driven civil

Thought of the day.

Post by NavyGator » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 am

Thus the saying:
Locks are not made to keep thieves out, they are made to keep honest people honest.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Thought of the day.

Post by Gunny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:33 am

The best door lock I have ever found is a 1911 .45 ACP.It may not keep them out but it will most certainly show them the way out. ;)
Image[/align=centre]

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Thought of the day.

Post by Welshy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 am

See that's the issue for us Brits, I can't have anything to keep them at a decent distance other than an air pistol. I used to be so paranoid I used to sleep with a kitchen knife under my pillow!
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Thought of the day.

Post by Neocon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 pm

Welshy wrote:See that's the issue for us Brits, I can't have anything to keep them at a decent distance other than an air pistol. I used to be so paranoid I used to sleep with a kitchen knife under my pillow!
Thought of the day: Wasp spray.

Ace Lord
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: B-52H Stratofortress

Thought of the day.

Post by Ace Lord » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Patrick31337 wrote:Thought of the day: Wasp spray.
ToTD: Bug Repellant. Saw the first piss-ant in the house today, so I need to break out the Ortho and get spraying.

Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Thought of the day.

Post by Gunny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Moms hair spray and a lighter and you can singh there outlook on life ;)
Image[/align=centre]

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 am

Greenhorn wrote:[post]85287[/post] I wish I had a tank to drive to college.
  • Might I suggest you some from my wishlist?
  • The British FV101 "Scorpion" Light Recon Vehicle
    -might not be able to hold against any modern Main Battle Tanks, but anyone would probably assume it's a tank anyways because of the turret and tracks. Equipping it with rubber pads should make it "road legal".
  • The US M41 "Walker Bulldog"
    -A real tank, albeit being classified as a light one. Battle proven and cat fit 4 people rather than 3 on the Scorpion. Can accelerate to 70 km/h on road and equipped with rubber pads so that it won't damage the asphalt.
  • The US M551 "Sheridan"
    -Like the Bulldog, it could go 70 km/h on the road and can fit 4 people inside. So what makes this tank superior? The fact that it carries a 152mm gun that can fire HEAT rounds and friggin' anti-tank missiles. Plus, it can be airlifted by C-130's and is also amphibious!
  • Or you could just ignore subtlety and get a REAL tank like Arnold Schwarzenegger's M47 "Patton".
    Because screw road surfaces, noise pollution or gas millage! Side effects include sudden emergence of chest hair and finely tuned muscles.
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Greenhorn
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A320, B737, F-5E, Gripen, Mirage F-1

Thought of the day.

Post by Greenhorn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:32 pm

I'll take the Sheridan please, looks the most menacing of the four! I shall call it Sherry!

I bought a game but there's no one online. At least the AI spins your car, I guess.
The War RoomImageMalaysiaball, 2nd from the left
Triggered easily, do not startle

A firm believer of using UTC times for international events

tigershark
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: uk & germany fighter

Thought of the day.

Post by tigershark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:38 pm

übergeben Sie die Bier An' brin' oan th' burds :D. just my thought of the day

RzB
Favorite Aircraft: Su-27 Flanker

Thought of the day.

Post by RzB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:07 pm

iqmal_97 wrote:
Greenhorn wrote:[post]85287[/post] I wish I had a tank to drive to college.
  • Might I suggest you some from my wishlist?
  • The British FV101 "Scorpion" Light Recon Vehicle
    -might not be able to hold against any modern Main Battle Tanks, but anyone would probably assume it's a tank anyways because of the turret and tracks. Equipping it with rubber pads should make it "road legal".
  • The US M41 "Walker Bulldog"
    -A real tank, albeit being classified as a light one. Battle proven and cat fit 4 people rather than 3 on the Scorpion. Can accelerate to 70 km/h on road and equipped with rubber pads so that it won't damage the asphalt.
  • The US M551 "Sheridan"
    -Like the Bulldog, it could go 70 km/h on the road and can fit 4 people inside. So what makes this tank superior? The fact that it carries a 152mm gun that can fire HEAT rounds and friggin' anti-tank missiles. Plus, it can be airlifted by C-130's and is also amphibious!
  • Or you could just ignore subtlety and get a REAL tank like Arnold Schwarzenegger's M47 "Patton".
    Because screw road surfaces, noise pollution or gas millage! Side effects include sudden emergence of chest hair and finely tuned muscles.
Here is a real tank btw;
Konigstiger

That 8.8cm L71 was the best gun mounted on a tank in WW2.

Or the grand daddy of all Main battle tanks;
Panther

Much tank p0rn in this thread now.
Totd; Can't wait to Captain The Bismarck in World of Warships. Wargaming need to hurry the fuck up so they can take my money damnit.

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:40 am

Ah yes, the Panther. It moves like a heavy, armor that boundaries medium and heavy, hits like a TD and may God have mercy when it points at your tank.

TOTD: It just hit me that to date, the most intricate and complex thing I've pulled apart and fixed are 3-pin plugs, flourescent ceiling lights and the grates plus plastic blades of the wall fan.

I don't think I've earned my man card yet. And i'm 18!

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Thought of the day.

Post by Neocon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 pm

In the last few days I've heard countless people from a variety of political and religious points of view saying the same thing: They oppose discrimination.

Thought of the day: Discrimination is good. I don't want to live in a world without discrimination. Discrimination is what keeps child abusers from becoming teachers. Discrimination is what keeps people with peanut allergies from getting jobs in a peanut processing plant. Discrimination is what public speakers use to fine-tune their speech to fit the audience that will hear it. Discrimination is why criminals get punished for their crimes. Discrimination is why kids sit with their friends at lunch instead of with their bullies. Discrimination is why nobody orders pork chops and BBQ ribs at a Kosher deli. Discrimination is the action that everyone takes each and every time they make a decision. Without discrimination, we would all go through life at random until one of those random decisions turned deadly.