Thought of the day.

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Lord Flasheart
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Avro Vulcan B.2A

Thought of the day.

Post by Lord Flasheart » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 pm

My thought of the last couple of days,
Picture, if you have the energy, a 747. More specifically a military 747, modified to be a bomber, possibly with some air to air missiles mounted on under wing pylons. Said 747 would also be equipped with fuselage, nose, and possibly belly mounted automated gun turrets to 'deter' enemy aircraft, as well as a capacious bomb bay just aft of the nose undercarriage. Finally, to make the aircraft just that much cooler, it would be given a short takeoff capability by means of partially thrust vectored afterburning engines, and additional low speed control by converting the tail plane into an all moving horizontal stabilizer. The engines would remain high bypass, utilizing an almost double barrel afterburner by means of a tradition reheat system aft of the turbines, and a dual plenum chamber burning nozzle set up utilizing the air in the bypass duct. Because lets face it, a 747 bomber gunship with 12 afterburners is just all of the epic ever.

I may end up making this. I've been lacking motivation recently and i fancy making something for 'shits and gigs'.

ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Thought of the day.

Post by ksh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Lord Flasheart wrote:My thought of the last couple of days,
Picture, if you have the energy, a 747. More specifically a military 747, modified to be a bomber, possibly with some air to air missiles mounted on under wing pylons. Said 747 would also be equipped with fuselage, nose, and possibly belly mounted automated gun turrets to 'deter' enemy aircraft, as well as a capacious bomb bay just aft of the nose undercarriage. Finally, to make the aircraft just that much cooler, it would be given a short takeoff capability by means of partially thrust vectored afterburning engines, and additional low speed control by converting the tail plane into an all moving horizontal stabilizer. The engines would remain high bypass, utilizing an almost double barrel afterburner by means of a tradition reheat system aft of the turbines, and a dual plenum chamber burning nozzle set up utilizing the air in the bypass duct. Because lets face it, a 747 bomber gunship with 12 afterburners is just all of the epic ever.

I may end up making this. I've been lacking motivation recently and i fancy making something for 'shits and gigs'.
now that you mention this CalvT made something similar to what you are describing! only it did not have the gun turrets or anything of the sort! but it did take bombs and missiles! :!:

Patrick31337
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Thought of the day.

Post by Patrick31337 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 pm

CalvT's version would see Flasheart's version and turn to run. But it couldn't run fast enough!

ksh
Veteran
Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by ksh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 pm

ahahaha....you are right!

Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Thought of the day.

Post by Copperhead » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 am

So more or less a comeback of the Super Bomber pack? Flash, you scary.

^The Murican^

"Well boys, I reckon this is it...nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies." - Major Kong

Lord Flasheart
Contributor
Contributor

Thought of the day.

Post by Lord Flasheart » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Almost. I've been toying with the idea of reviving the Superbombers. Just having trouble designing viable replacements for the stratobomber and the Superbomber VTOL. Superbomber Mk.3 would simply just replace the 6 giant engines with 12 GE90's to attempt to make it more realistic. The Stratobomber ideally needs jacking up and laying out a bit more like the TU-144.

As for the Super 747 deathfortress, The intention was to keep it subsonic. The reheat would purely be for the short takeoff capability and time to altitude purposes :)

Swift
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Mig-41 Firefly, Mig-21, F/A-53A Foxtrot

Thought of the day.

Post by Swift » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:38 pm

oh oh oh! i made one of those in FSX a while back!

Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Thought of the day.

Post by Copperhead » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Since when does FSX have working weapons?...

^The Murican^

"Well boys, I reckon this is it...nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies." - Major Kong

Welshy
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Harrier FA2

Thought of the day.

Post by Welshy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:20 pm

It doesn't without Tac Pack
Community Manager
VMFA-125 Officer Commanding (171st)
Grade A Prat

Swift
Veteran
Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by Swift » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 pm

it does, remember droppable ordnance?

ksh
Veteran
Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by ksh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Swift wrote:

oh oh oh! i made one of those in FSX a while back!
send a screenshot!

Swift
Veteran
Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by Swift » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:34 pm

i was testing a "Super" bomb over Fresno that day. it's the best pic i got sadly.
Attachments
747 bomber over fresno, ca.jpg

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:28 pm

I guess this one of the side effects of LordFlash upon hearing Vulcan XH558 is (allegedly) going to end its flying career?

Scary.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Lord Flasheart
Contributor
Contributor

Thought of the day.

Post by Lord Flasheart » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am

Xh558 is ending her flying career this year. Tis a sad day for us all. Added to which, with me not being on the typhoon force at the moment, I can't fufill my deltaphillia in other ways either.

Patrick31337
Staff
Staff

Thought of the day.

Post by Patrick31337 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:59 am

60 seconds into Sense8 I said to myself, "If there is anyone with their clothes off in the first five minutes, I'm not watching this."

Thought of the day: You only get one chance at a first impression.

The reviews make the series sound pretty awful anyway.

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:59 am

Lord Flasheart wrote:Xh558 is ending her flying career this year. Tis a sad day for us all. Added to which, with me not being on the typhoon force at the moment, I can't fufill my deltaphillia in other ways either.
Ah, the trials and tribulations of a deltaphillia. As a falcon and sukhoiphile myself, I'd like to wish you the best of luck in facing the (quite unfortunate) retirement of XH558.

On that note, I wonder what you think about other prominent deltas of other countries. You gotta admit, the Frenchies have come up with some smexy designs over the last 50 years. ;)

TOTD: I've found out the hard way that the table mannerisms and eating etiquette of single 18-20 year old males living in the same dorm are equivalent to a grizzly bear's. And I say that in the......n-n-nicest. Way. Possible.....

*eye twitch*
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Doggeh1
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Harrier Jump Jet, Eurofighter Typhoon, Vulcan

Thought of the day.

Post by Doggeh1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:01 am

*hopes you didn't imply the Concorde was French* :?

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by iqmal_97 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Okay. It's design was of British origin. I admit I overlooked that fact because I wanted to generalize the deltas that have been developed by France. Though you have to admit that Concorde was as much as a French aircraft as it was British, seeing it as a joint project between Aérospatiale (then Sud Aviation) and BAC.

Happy now :?:
Last edited by iqmal_97 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swift
Veteran
Veteran

Thought of the day.

Post by Swift » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:37 pm

my TotD: when mediafire won't upload 3.5Gb's of audio and you have to comb through 6 hours of audio manually.

Patrick31337
Staff
Staff

Thought of the day.

Post by Patrick31337 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:22 am

The saddest part of Firefly being canceled without getting a full season is that it was such good work by everybody involved and nobody at the network had enough sense to see what they were throwing away. The stories, the dialogue, the actors, the effects and visuals, the music, and everything else was great.

Thought of the day: Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!