Thought of the day.

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Sierra
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Re: Thought of the day.

Post by Sierra »

Oh neat, YSPilots is still around. Why does this website still exist.
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

Sierra wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:19 pmWhy does this website still exist.
I'm surprised the community still does, to be honest.
Mog
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F/A-18E/F, EA-18G, Advanced Super Hornet

Post by Mog »

When you realise that most Canadians don't even know what the Dunkirk Evacuation is...or know any kind of Canadian wartime history; yet the other Commonwealth nations have a better understanding and overall sense of patriotism.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

I've flown Southwest a lot. I think the people who look down on Southwest either a. are just parroting what they hear others say about Southwest or b. have some pre-conceived notions about the airline or c. had one really bad experience with it and from that point onwards, took an intense dislike to Southwest. Then of course you have the people who just love to hate something period. No airline is perfect nor will any airline ever be (as is any business for that matter), but I've consistently had great flights with Southwest. And contrary to popular perception, Southwest is not cattle class. I've received royal treatment on Southwest compared to a few other airlines, and I've flown a lot.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Mog wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 pmWhen you realise that most Canadians don't even know what the Dunkirk Evacuation is...or know any kind of Canadian wartime history; yet the other Commonwealth nations have a better understanding and overall sense of patriotism.
I have a Masters Degree in History Education. I didn't know much about Dunkirk until last year.

I think history standards in secondary education have improved, but they still have a long way to go. Most students don't want to learn history, and the biggest reason is nobody is telling them why it is important early on in their schooling. STEM is being emphasized, and for good reason, but STEM prepares students for careers. Social Studies prepares students for life in society.
Richard Vo
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A380, JAS-39

Post by Richard Vo »

Nothing is impossible. The matter is your willingness to do it 8-)
The A380 is ahead of its time. With the resilient passenger traffic growth for times to come (reference from Airbus's Global Market Forecast), plus congested airports, the A380 could not be ignored.

By any chance if you have Instagram, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero and if you have Twitter, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero. Appreciate that!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I just saw this quote and thought I would share it.

"This is a fatal flaw in the human psyche. And that fatal flaw is caring way too much about what other people think. We all are afflicted by it."
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Huxley presented the thought: Is it better to have a safe and happy existence, or an existence enriched by truth and art? I'll take the safe and happy existence. Surely, anyone who's seen true hardship would do the same.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

As much as modern dentistry has come along, the tooth extraction process will probably always be high up there on the discomfort level. Not as in pain, but as in process. Kudos to my dentist though, did a great job.

Now then, where's the ice cream again...?
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

This falls into the category of "What the h*** were they thinking?!!"

Having flown LH as much as I have and as much as I have enjoyed its previous livery (simple, yet elegant), I think it's going to take a very long time for me to get used to this one. Even the new AA livery has grown on me, but this one... hmmm. Bad move LH, bad move.
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

It looks like Qantas, just blue.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Qantas' livery is definitely better, the Kangaroo and the black lettering add more depth. This has just one tone, except for the white crane logo.
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F5 A10 SR71

Post by plunderbird »

Not to my liking. Wonder what the NASA 747 (in the background, during the last few seconds) was doing there?
Fliped out of the arena, again! :(
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

plunderbird wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pmNot to my liking. Wonder what the NASA 747 (in the background, during the last few seconds) was doing there?
I ALMOST want to say that it's SOFIA, but it doesn't have the blisters to denote it. Though I did notice a bird land on the outer left engine while LH was taxiing to to terminal. Could also be the SCA.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

The breakdown of discipline and good behavior in American schools is caused by the very parents who complain about a breakdown of discipline and good behavior in schools. These "parents" tell their kids that their teachers are bad, manipulating, brainwashing, and teaching political correctness. The kids hear that and go to school with the attitude that there is nothing of value being taught and completely tune out the teachers and make bad grades for not studying. Then the "parents" blame the problems in the schools and they cycle continues.

If children don't learn to follow the rules at home, they will march for rules in the streets.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

That moment where you ask yourself "Why do I look through the comments of Youtube videos? Why?"
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I had an argument with an aquarium fish expert (no quotes, he was a real expert) who was convinced that a fish cannot see what is outside the glass aquarium because, from inside the water, the glass is a mirror. I, on the other hand, with no evidence or understanding of the situation of any kind, argued that I can look straight through one side and see what is on the other side of the fish tank, and it is only at certain angles that the glass makes a mirror rather than be transparent. The argument was never resolved, although he claimed to have swam in an aquarium and knew for a fact that you cannot see outside the aquarium from inside the water, so there is no way fish can see you.

A key part of breeding Betta fish is to have the male in one tank and the female in another tank, both close enough that they can see each other for a few days. Notice the "they can see each other" part. Betta breeding proves that the expert was wrong and, in fact, I am not any of the horrible names he called me in foreign languages.

Though of the day: I keep a grudge for way too long. I need to forgive, forget, and move on.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

^Totally relate to that experience. Sometimes, expert = ego. Too much ego.

Speaking of ego and other things related, brings me to my thought of the day. If you want to know just how stupid humanity can get these days, look no further than Youtube. Amazing just how insane the comments can get these days. And no topic or subject is immune. Just when you thought you had seen it all, there comes another dimwit even dimmer than the previous dimwit. Sometimes it's like who can out-dimwit the previous dimwit of all time.

I always tell myself to stop looking at the comments, but do I learn? No. Maybe that makes me a dimwit too!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

This morning, I participated in the most unusual sale rush. You know how there is always a rush in stores when the new Jordan shoes come out? Well, this sale was at the local Rural King, and the item was a large gun safe that would normally be well over $500 was on sale for $300. My dad called last week to see if one could be set aside and was told we need to be there today at 7AM or we might not get one. We're in a rural area, so I didn't think it would be that bad.

We got up and got there at 7AM. There was a crowd of men, mostly over 50, all in pickup trucks, waiting for the door. The door opened and they went straight to the counter. My dad and I kind of wanted to see one of these safes, but we had to get in line first to buy it. We could see it when we get it home. So this crowd of men started paying and the cashiers started calling "We've got one safe to load, two safes, three..." At this point I started to worry that they would run out. One guy bought two of them! We were 7th in line, so ours was the eighth to load. There was one other guy behind us, so they sold 9 in that initial wave of customers. Somebody said that they only had 23 in the back, so they still had quite a few when we were done. We all got in our trucks, drove around to the loading dock, got our safe loaded by the forklift driver, and went home. It took over an hour for my parents and I to get it in the house and stood up.

Thought of the Day:
Nobody ever smash-and-grab steals a 300lb safe and runs out the door and rides off with it on their bicycle.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Truth. If your going to keep firearms, keep them secure. Respect.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!