What Grinds My Gears

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: What Grinds My Gears

Post by Neocon »

WGMG?

It's been nearly 5 years since I shot a .22 rifle. There has been a complete breakdown of mental healthcare allowed an unstable mental incompetent have the chance to kill his mother, take her firearms, and commit an absolutely horrific act at an elementary school. Then, fears of gun control laws led to the irrational hoarding of guns and ammo. Strangely, the primary target was the least-likely of targets, the .22 LR. All the while, the Bushmaster AR-style rifles like the one used in that massacre, sit on Walmart shelves to the point that they were losing money trying to sell them and stopped selling them altogether. Most other calibers were back to regular prices (or lower in many cases) and availability within months. The .22 LR, which has traditionally been the cheapest and easiest to find due to its mass production and being sold in large bulk boxes, however, remained almost unseen for four years. Finally, it appears that .22 LR is back in regular supply and only slightly more expensive (again, most other ammunition has gone down in price).

After nearly five years, I decided tomorrow I will take my .22 rifle to the range. I get it out and check the reddot to make sure the battery is good and instantly notice something is not right. The gun is fine, but he sight is covered in goo. My first thought was to spray a paper towel with WD40 and wipe it off. Bad idea. The paper towel stuck to the goo. I decided to try a cotton rag with WD40, but that didn't help. My father suggested Mean Green degreaser. It worked! An hour later, I finally got most of the goo off the site. At least the battery is still good.

This brings me back to WGMG. Despite the fact that we know that mental healthcare is broken, it's probably worse now than five years ago. People with mental health problems like PTSD try to hide because they might be placed on a government list if they seek help. That's not right. People who seek mental help should be treated like those who seek care for any other illness. The fear of being treated like a criminal is keeping people from getting the help that would allow them to live a normal life, which eventually leads to the very problems those in charge claim to want to stop.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Preach!

WGMG? Today we had to give a presentation on a mock company idea. We had one job - make a semi-reasonable sounding pitch to secure $50 000 in capital. Well all my colleagues went over time so I didn't get to present! THANKS DICKS. The one thing that I was good at. The one thing that would've secured us a High Distinction. THE ONE THING we had to mention and do in our presentation. And we couldn't even get that done right.

Fucking sick of my grades being pulled down by lazy peers who don't want to put in the effort! Enough of group marking!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Flake wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:14 am Preach!

WGMG? Today we had to give a presentation on a mock company idea. We had one job - make a semi-reasonable sounding pitch to secure $50 000 in capital. Well all my colleagues went over time so I didn't get to present! THANKS DICKS. The one thing that I was good at. The one thing that would've secured us a High Distinction. THE ONE THING we had to mention and do in our presentation. And we couldn't even get that done right.

Fucking sick of my grades being pulled down by lazy peers who don't want to put in the effort! Enough of group marking!
Uni? Hopefully your professor ain't much of an ass and doesn't let you make it up. I find higher education to be easier and fairer when it comes to grading as long as you are a responsible adult.

Anywho. WGMG?

Getting hacked.

For the first time in months I decided to play some GTA online. Try to login and keeps giving me password and email incorrect bs. Go and reset my password and check email. Find a little rockstar notice from 2 weeks ago that my email and password have been changed by someone other than me. Good news is that my email is beater one, only use it for games, giveaways, coupons and memberships. Bad news is that I got carelessed and linked my PayPal account to it.

So far I've only been drained 14 bucks from some subscription service he/she signed up for.

I've always ridiculed "hacked" people for being carless. EVERYONE is vulnerable!
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I made it over four months without having a sick day, even though I had two paid sick days. What happens when summer break starts? Two weeks in and I have a soar throat, cough, and feel horrible. That's really grinding my gears.
KM6BZH
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Mitsubishi Zero

Post by KM6BZH »

WGMG?
Realizing that YSFlight Japan (2ch) isn't even a forum.
And getting a B+ on a last test (not quite a final)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

I can't help but feel a pang of personal envy when someone proudly proclaims "Went to the School of Hard Knocks"

Sounds rewarding. Do they offer post-graduate study? I hope the entry requirements aren't too strict. All I'll have to go off is a double Bachelors Degree, years of practical management experience, and perhaps even a CPA or CMA qualification to boot.

I hear they're really strict on the "life skills" requirements though, So I surely will never be experienced enough to get in to any of their programs. Not that I've had more "hard knocks" than anyone who ever claims they struggled or anything. I'm sure owning investment properties and making $150K+ per year is tough though.

Oh to be so vainly ignorant that you can wear your complete disregard for education / human intelligence as a badge of honor.

I think some people really need to learn to swallow the poison they push on others and shut the fuck up for once.

It hurts when your own family belittle and criticize you for daring to speak up about respecting other peoples religions and ways of life.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Richard Vo
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A380, JAS-39

Post by Richard Vo »

WGMG?

Feel dumb when revising in class...
The A380 is ahead of its time. With the resilient passenger traffic growth for times to come (reference from Airbus's Global Market Forecast), plus congested airports, the A380 could not be ignored.

By any chance if you have Instagram, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero and if you have Twitter, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero. Appreciate that!
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

WGMG?

Not winning the Powerball.

Heres to a better Wednesday.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Here's something that grinds my gears. Take a look at the video:

What seems even more amazing to me than the abrupt run out on the ramp are some of the comments on the video. As if to say she was at the playground and just running around meaning no harm. There are plenty of reasons why the term is "active ramp" - strict safety norms are priority, and no one can just run around for ANY reason. Just because there are no vehicles moving on the ramp does not mean one won't. Of course, in this "self entitlement" world we live in these days, a lot of people wouldn't see anything wrong with this scenario, but then if something does indeed go wrong, yes feel free to sue the airline, the airport and every other party your lawyer sees fit.

And you know what? Does not seem like she's "mentally incompetent" to me at all. She said "sorry", which clearly indicates she knew she did something really wrong. At least she realized it.
Sierra
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Post by Sierra »

You know what grinds my gears?

People who have no idea when to call, or how to call for emergency services properly. Sure, we're constantly told to "call 911 if there is an emergency hurr durr," but people need to realize what an emergency really is. You have a cold? Great, get some fluids into you and rest, at most call your doctor if it's really that bad. You engaged in certain unprotected acts and you want to get checked out? Take the bus to an urgent care centre, or ask someone to take you. These are not emergencies that require the usage of an already stretched-thin service, and prevents others with actual emergencies from getting said services in a timely manner. However, if you're in the most pain of your life and you're possibly going to die, call 911, and don't demand a refusal because you can't be bothered to pay the bill. There are programs in place to help mitigate that cost, or allow you to pay in installments. Money is of no use to you when you are physically unable to spend it.

Also, if you're over 136kg/300lbs, please tell the dispatcher so we don't have to wait on scene for fire to come help lift your ass up. There is no EMT out there that will risk lifting you without assistance, so please, for the love of god, be self aware in these situations. How you live your life is fine with us, but don't be upset when we refuse to give ourselves future back pain and make you wait an extra 10 minutes before we get going.

Also, don't call us ambulance drivers. It's a surefire way to get us to hit every pothole when transporting you.

tl;dr, don't be fucking stupid. You're probably dealing with a medic on the 23rd hour of their shift, so at least make it easier for us.
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Here's another thing that grinds my gears: when it's barely a couple days into October and retailers already are putting their Christmas stuff out. Would it kill them to show some restraint?

I kid you not. I work in retail, and the store that I work at had some of their Christmas stuff out on the 5th of October.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

So you know that guy that tripled the price of Insulin? Trump just appointed him to regulate Big Pharama.

Or what about that guy that wants to sell out Net Neutrality?

No conflicts of interest here. No Sir-ee! I'll just take my bag of (money) laundry to the dry cleaners in Panama now.

Hey fancy a big lootbox from EA? That's not gambling at all, honestly. And definitely not targeted at kids with mommy and daddys credit card.

Hey did you hear about the Paradise Papers? No me neither, because the media is so well bought and controlled by Murdoch that reporting on that is ignored.

More than 200 people were left to die on an island without food or water by my own governments hand and if anyone tries to report on that, THEY are the criminals.

Hey. Hey kid. Wanna gamble everything you own on LadBrokes? No no, it's heaps Australian bruh! Gambling ads served fresh every 10 minutes, direct to your on prime time commercial television, indoctrinating your children.

----

Justice is dead, and we live in a post-apocolyptic digital hell where no one cares at all to do anything about it.

Huxely and Orwell were right. We're so blinded by distractions and pleasure (Huxley) and so easily manipulated by our corporate overlords (Orwell) that we don't care to educate ourselves on, or action, great injustices in our world right before our very eyes. Stop the planet, I want to get off.

You wanna stop this shit from happening? It starts by switching off.

So this is what grinds my gears. Seeing this same old crap happen in the world every single day and no one else seems to care.

It's heartbreaking.
Random_Flyer66
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: 737-800

Post by Random_Flyer66 »

WGMG,

Kids claiming that the A380 is the best plane ever and claiming that it has no flaws.
I can Photoshop stuff
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

What are its flaws?
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Neocon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 amWhat are its flaws?
Design flaws that caused wing cracking, engine that exploded in-flight, and now that the 787 and 350 have caught on (not to mention the just-launched 777X) for being more fuel-efficient, it's an unofficially "Emirates only" aircraft. When an aircraft manufacturer knows better what aircraft would be a good fit for an airline than airline itself, there's a little desperation present (read: United).
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

The engine that exploded mid flight was caused by an RR QC issue (almost unheard of) rather than being a flaw with the aircraft itself. If anything the aircraft proved itself as being a highly safe system considering how much damage the engine explosion cause
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

What grinds my gears? Thanksgiving. I still live with my parents. I see my family all the time. Thanksgiving for me is just a normal day with an extremely huge amount of cooking and work added to it.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Growing infirm, but still grateful to still be here ;)
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Where did this go?

What grinds my gears? There was a scene in The Umbrella Academy where time was frozen during a gun fight. In the middle of it all, a single bullet was shown several times, just hanging there. But it wasn't a bullet, it was an entire cartridge with the dent from the firing pin clearly visible. It really took me out of the show for a few minutes while I went back and paused at just the right time to make sure I hadn't imagined such a stupid error. It was a really important scene. :(
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

What grinds my gears? When I'm watching a sports stream and it freezes at key moments in the event making me reload and watch a 30 second add and miss the key plays.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database