Need tech advice: New PC

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Re: Need tech advice: New PC

Post by Vic Viper »

Yes I agree, wait until November rolls around, there's pre black friday and post black friday sales.

Here's a suggestion if you go with AMD. Blows that pre built Skytech machine out of the water.

It's cheaper than the Intel machine I suggested a few months back and it's faster. 4 cores, 8 threads, over clockable CPU with a nice cooler included. Better motherboard, faster ram, better case (more fans). My personal reccomendation is to go with a boot SSD and a smaller HDD, but it will increase the price.

Some suggestions regardless of the pc you build: If you don't need a DVD-RW drive, don't get one. You can install windows easily with a usb. If you already have a DVD-RW from another PC (as long as it's SATA) use that instead, and you just saved $16.

Windows is stupidly expensive, there are cheaper, legal ways of getting cheap install discs, just have to do some research.

Best of luck, I'm here for whatever questions you have
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Although I agree in general with Vic's build I would say from experience that Hybrid drives aren't all that good and even a small SSD for just the OS and a few programs (not really YS as it doesn't really gain anything) would go along way over the Hybrid drives builtin algorithms.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I'm completely lost on the hard drive issue. :lol: Can you explain the situation?
Welshy
Staff
Staff

Post by Welshy »

The drive listed by Vic is a hybrid drive which automatically after a few uses caches files on a small SSD if they are frequently used. Whilst this is faster than a normal hard drive it has an extra point of failure and isn't faster than a dedicated Solid State Drive
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

It's not my personal choice either, but it is faster than a 7200rpm 1 TB HDD, and stays within budget. I'd go with a 120gb or 240 gb SSD and a smaller HDD (maybe 500?) for now and add more drives as needed down the road. Will cost slightly bit more though since nan flash is in short supply these days.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Welshy
Staff
Staff

Post by Welshy »

Remember he can always repurpose his existing drive as a normal unimportant data drive
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

Depends, I think Pat was still running an XP machine, in that case it may have an IDE drive.
But if you do intend to junk your existing machine (if it's SATA), use that HDD as a storage drive and just buy a 240gb or 500gb SSD.
VFA-49 FORUM

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Right now the graphics card situation is what's slowing me down. I'm sure I'm going with the GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB graphics card. What's the difference between these two:
Two fans vs. One fan
The clock time on the one-fan version looks a lot higher, plus it is low-profile. I'm thinking those things are good, but would having 2 fans be better? The one-fan version also shows up in the pc part picker, the other one does not. Incompatible?
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

Yes, two fans are better, as long as they're well designed (larger the better as well). I really feel your frustration though, building a (new) PC now is nigh impossible with the miners taking up all the cards, and with nan flash shortage SSD's and ram are way overpriced.

I wouldn't pay more than MSRP, please try and wait, these 3rd party sellers on amazon and newegg (and microcenter) are trying to take advantage and rip people off.

About the cards you mentioned, Parts and PC part picker are uploaded by users, so it may be that particular model number isn't there, but if you search asus 1050 ti's the same card will show up.

Factory clocked speeds don't matter that much, since nvidia's GPU boost changes those numbers anyway. And you're expected to overclock them yourself as well, so don't get hung up too much on those numbers.
VFA-49 FORUM

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

My Custom Build 2018

This is my current plan, and I plan to do this soon. I've got the money sitting in my checking account. I decided to go ahead with 16 GB RAM, everything else is pretty much based on your last parts list.

Do I need a CPU cooler?
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

No aftermarket CPU cooler needed, the AMD Wraith Spire cooler it comes with is so good most people overclock near 4ghz with it.

Btw, why do you have a TP link wired network adapter in there? The MSI board has built in 1 gigbit networking
VFA-49 FORUM

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I stuck my GT 610 1gb card into the parts list and it didn't give a compatibility warning, but it is ddr3 and very old.

Have I mentioned that I don't know what I'm doing? Thanks for helping me along. :)

The computer store offered to sell me this for $3000. :shock:
Estimate wrote:Custom Gaming Computer Gaming Z
Intel 7th Gen i7-7700K 4.2GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 Graphics Card with 8GB Dedicated Memory.
16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz Quad Channel RAM.
1TB HD 7200 RPM Storage.
240GB SSD.
Windows 10 Operating System.
802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter.
VR Ready System.
Upgraded Heatsink CPU Air Cooler
16 Color RGB Lighting
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

No worries man, that's why you have us. You could skate by with the 610, although drivers may be an issue (should be fine, worst case it gives you a video out signal to use the computer but you won't be able to game much.

Yeah margins for pc building really suck. They're probably just trying to turn an okay profit. Also that's way more than what you'd need.

There's also the prebuilt option. I only suggest this because it's a good deal for the price and the only way to get a 1060 without paying $500 just for the card. Up to you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757 ... f93392005a

Good thing it uses standard parts, so it's upgradeable (like buying another 8gb of ram)
VFA-49 FORUM

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Is a 1060 3gb as good as the 1050 4gb, though? A quick google says it's better. I might go ahead with it. I've got the funds, just been waiting for the parts to be available. :)
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

As the numbers get higher with gpu's they usually get better. 3gb of vram is plenty, since you won't be dealing with 4k textures that need more than 4gb anyway. Always go with a stronger card vs vram amount, unless you're buying quaddros and making movies.
VFA-49 FORUM

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

<From 26 January 2018>
I think I'm going to go ahead with the parts list and keep watching for a 1050ti at a good price. The ones I posted yesterday are now out of stock and some different ones showed up, so they are out there, I just have to grab them at the right time. Everything else is available through Amazon and Newegg, so I'm going to place my orders tonight and then I'll have an idea of when everything will be at my house.

That's when I'll start panicking about putting it all together. :lol:

==========================================

<Update: 29 January 2018>
The case has arrived in 3 days. Everything else will get here later this week.
This isn't the one I really wanted. I intended to get the Deepcool case Vic kept pointing me to, but somehow I overlooked that when I added it to my cart in Amazon. If it doesn't work, it can be replaced, but I kind of like the way it looks.
I might run an extension cord and a Dollar Tree night light to make it shine at night. :lol: Not really.

==========================================

<Update: 31 January 2018>
I ended up ordering a couple of orange Thermaltake 120mm fans that I will install later on. Today I got my AMD processor, 2x8GB memory, and copy of Win 10 Home OEM (which I am starting to question if I should have got the retail version, since I just found out there is a difference).
Last edited by Neocon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

Looking good! As for windows, the only difference is retail versions let you install on multiple machines over the years (just not at the same time). OEM keys get bound to your motherboard. So if you change the motherboard you usually need a new key (but there are ways around that)
VFA-49 FORUM

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

ooof with this you might be able to pull of a mass CHF 777 fly in 8-)
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

The rest of the parts I initially ordered got here today.
Image Image Image Image my current PC is on the left side of the picture.Image I started by installing the processor, the Wraith Spire cooler that came with it, and the RAM. I'm going to wait to get everything else put together after my last shipment gets here tomorrow.
Image Image Image Image One front, one top. Front is intake, top and stock on back are exhaust.Image Image Image Image I would like to thank all of you for the tips, ideas, and encouragement. I'm typing this message on my new machine, and it seems to be working fine so far. I wouldn't have done this without your help.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

You did put thermal paste on the cpu right?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.