Weather In Your Area 2018

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: Weather In Your Area 2018

Post by Neocon »

I didn't have trouble with the codes. They have a good tutorial. My trouble was that it said I had to have 7 c8ties, but I couldn't figure out where they were supposed to be. Could you attach your configuration file and I can try modifying it?
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

By "seven cities" I think you mean the ones for the regional forecast and current conditions maps. I tried to attach my local profile data file but HQ doesn't allow .dat extensions (says it's an invalid file extension). It doesn't matter all that much since you can choose whatever cities you like, but I think you'd like to get the original cities that were also shown back when the actual WS 4000 displayed them on local forecasts for your area. I tried looking for a video or screen shot that would show the original seven cities for your area but I couldn't find one. I would say just go with the 7 cities nearest you that fit inside the map region (centered at your city/foreast location).
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I looked through the quick guide and found a near-by config file, made some modifications, and got it working. We didn't have the Weather Channel in my town when I was growing up, but it reminds me of the one they had at hotels when we went on vacation.

My main issue was that when I was working on it this morning, I had just woke up (earlier than desired) and was very grumpy. :lol:
forecast for Saturday.png
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

Hooray! Another WeatherStar user.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

^Awesome that you got it working Pat :)
Hornet
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F/A-18F Super Hornet

Post by Hornet »

We had to see the gray sky for almost a week due to the smog from China. The wind blows from the north, pushing out the smog and finally seeing the blue sky. The day is cold at -9 degrees Celsius but sky is clear.
Member of YS Flight Korea, Mad Shark Joint Force
YS FLIGHT F/A-18 Rhino Demonstration Team
President of MIRAE Airways
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Near-record breaking to record-breaking highs today (highs in the upper 70s and low 80s) and then getting very cold tomorrow (highs in the mid 40s, lows in the mid 30s tomorrow morning). There are some rain chances though and we definitely need moisture since the drought's getting worse.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

West TN has had more rain so far this month than is normal for the entire month. I wish we could send some to the drought areas. It's in the 70s right now, and will be 30s within the next 36 hours, if not sooner, with more rain.

Record cold and record heat, all in one winter.

UPDATE 02-18-2018:
Just now, about 8 AM, I saw the oddest thing ever. The temperature is right at freezing, 34°, and the fog was thick over night into this morning. The sun came up. Small ice pellets, about the size of a sweet pea, started falling from the sky. I looked out and the sky was blue and the sun was bright, and as the ice fell the fog started thinning out.

I want to know, have you ever see the hail, coming down on a sunny day? :lol:
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

^Nice take on a CCR classic there ;)

Here in Oklahoma, many weather events have taken place which are rare but quite unusual. Gary England, the well-known meteorologist wrote a book called "Weathering the Storm" (excellent book by the way if you're into all things weather-related, plus a chronology of his life as well, quite fascinating to read), in which he tells of a weather event in the winter of 1975 when there were tornadoes in southern Oklahoma with temps in the 40s and dewpoints in the 30s. I also seem to recall him mentioning snow on the ground.

What you experienced was likely something similar to diamond dust, except this time conditions were just right for the ice to coagulate into small pellets. As the sun heated the air closest to the ground, the suspended pellets started falling and the fog dissipated.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

So, continuing the topic of strange weather...

Yesterday, a very sharp cold front moved a lot further south than forecast (these things have a mind of their own sometimes) and dropped the temperature by 25 degrees or so in Oklahoma City (Went from near 70F to 45F). Meanwhile, where I live (south side of the metro), it was still 67F. The official Oklahoma Mesonet site for our suburb is about 4 miles NW of my location, and the front made it there and stalled. So while the temperature there bottomed out at 55F, it was still pretty balmy with no wind at my place. Basically, our city was bisected by the front, you could have walked a couple miles and it would be chilly with a north wind, then walked back south and you would be in upper-60s weather!

That same cold front then started moving back north as a warm front last night (Mesonet reading jumped back to 67F for the south metro). This morning, the temperature was 68F when I woke up and we had storms with some reports of nickel and quarter-size hail. Those moved on by pretty quickly, then the same front that had moved back north started moving back south again (well before forecasted, as cold fronts do often). This morning however, a nearly 30 degree drop in temps behind the front took place. They're now expecting freezing rain for some part of the afternoon before drier air moves in later today and cuts off the precip.

OK_Mesonet_Temps.png

Strong storms, hail, wild temperature shifts and then freezing rain... all in less than 18 hours!
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Soggy bottom Louisianna.Although right now its 80 deg and sunshine.
today.png
Image[/align=centre]
Stephen
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Things With Wings

Post by Stephen »

Yeah, there is no normal February weather here. :| But hey, it's warm! Can't complain now, can I? :)
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

"Current regional conditions..."

WS_CC.png
WS_LF36.png

Although the regional conditions say sleet in Oklahoma City, we're actually getting a mix of sleet and light snow.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Well it's been a very wet week here, no complaints, we needed the rain. Hope to see decent improvement in the drought conditions. Had some freezing rain and sleet on Tuesday and Wednesday with impacts about as minimal as can get, then rounds of showers and storms begining Thursday through this morning. Should be a nice weekend though, highs in the 50s later today and 60s tomorrow.

Unfortunately, most of western and NW OK missed out on pretty much all of the precip save for less than an inch here and there, they need rain pretty badly as the drought is the worst over there. Hopefully the pattern continues into the Spring months and they get more rain also.

Btw, heads-up later today if you're in the mid-south. I'm sure Patrick's aware of this:

Feb. 24th 2018 SPC Day 1 outlook
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

It's been warm today, and warm weather this time of the year means storms are coming.
Turbofan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pmBtw, heads-up later today if you're in the mid-south. I'm sure Patrick's aware of this:

Feb. 24th 2018 SPC Day 1 outlook
Yep.

A line of storms is headed into my area from across the muddy river. There are tornado watches and warnings all around here. It's headed east into Middle TN right now.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

Turbofan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 pm "Current regional conditions..."

WS_CC.png

WS_LF36.png

Although the regional conditions say sleet in Oklahoma City, we're actually getting a mix of sleet and light snow.
Do you live in 1995? Those retro graphics are marvelous.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Scarecrow wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 amDo you live in 1995? Those retro graphics are marvelous.
:lol: I find myself asking myself that question sometimes. I do have a soft spot for a lot of retro stuff, and not just limited to the good ol' WS 4000. It applies to aircraft, airlines, liveries, T.V. shows, movies, music... the list is pretty big. I totally concur with you on those "marvelous" graphics!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Looks like the season's first severe weather event is officially underway for our area. Appears to be mostly a large hail/damaging wind type of deal. Currently 75F with overcvats skies and hearing some thunder with non-severe storms headed our way. Might get a bit more interesting later on this evening though.
Kubson88554
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: Rafale/SUs

Post by Kubson88554 »

Finally it's beggining to get cold here, rain, cloud, depression and less going out, yay for my antisocial side
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Kubson88554 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 pmFinally it's beggining to get cold here, rain, cloud, depression and less going out, yay for my antisocial side
You mean yay for your Ysflight side :lol:
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!