The best and worst flight sim

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed L1011, F-100 Super Saber, Boeing 727

Re: The best and worst flight sim

Post by Not1011 »

What exactly does OpenYS do?

Soji really shouldn't abandon DirectX. Not everyone has a Linux supercomputer.

Adding another least favourite flight simulator: X-Plane. The desktop version. I kinda do like the mobile version, despite it's limitations and microtransactions, but the desktop version really sucks. Terrain is garbage, ATC doesn't work very well, and there's almost no freeware available. It also requires a high-end computer. And it costs 60$.
I did not sell very well, so Lockheed killed me. I'm the reason it doesn't make airliners anymore.

Random stuff:
1. They ain't "sharklets", like Turbofan said.
2. The Tu-114 should really go back into service in a redesigned form.
3. The L-1011 should also return, too.
4. My posts are repeatedly deleted on the AM3 forum.
5. Concorde must return!
6. Fegelein can never die, even when Hitler himself tries to kill him. (Downfall parodies)
7. Embraer should restart production of the EMB-110 and EMB-120, as those are my two favourite prop planes.

"LoL cArgO dOOr" -McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, my sworn enemy
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

OYS is a replacement for Ysflight on the server side.

Not including DirectX has nothing to do with Linux and is rather about the API usage with associated benefits and pitfalls.

Complaining a high end game requires a high end machine is still silly, lots of games don't run on low end hardware but YS should.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Not1011 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 pm Adding another least favourite flight simulator: X-Plane. The desktop version. I kinda do like the mobile version, despite it's limitations and microtransactions, but the desktop version really sucks. Terrain is garbage, ATC doesn't work very well, and there's almost no freeware available. It also requires a high-end computer. And it costs 60$.
I've used X-Plane 10 for about a year now and to be honest, it's leaps and bounds better than FSX on terrain. There's a pretty good amount of freeware, but of course it doesn't have as much as FSX. It's a bit harder to get in to with the controls but hey, it's worth it to me. Flying a Harrier over traffic and trying not to hit street lamps is pretty neat.

Just to throw my hat in, the best flight sim i've encountered is actually Falcon BMS. I guess you could say it's like DCS but only focused on F-16s. The optimization of that sim is so incredible I ran it on bare bones hardware with it still looking like DCS on high settings. The flight model for the F-16 is incredible and it has a gentle enough learning curve to it. The scenery has been getting a lot more detailed lately and so the experience has only gotten better with time. Really worth checking out if you have a copy of Falcon 4 laying around somewhere.

The worst flight sim i've used not really much of a surprise, Flight Gear. I got into it years back on my first laptop and it ironically ran the exact same between that and my high end laptop now. The mods had this huge quality gap and it kinda made the already awful look to the game feel worse for some reason. The game ran poorly no matter what PC I tried it on and so i'm glad it's free.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Swift wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pm
I've used X-Plane 10 for about a year now and to be honest, it's leaps and bounds better than FSX on terrain. There's a pretty good amount of freeware, but of course it doesn't have as much as FSX. It's a bit harder to get in to with the controls but hey, it's worth it to me. Flying a Harrier over traffic and trying not to hit street lamps is pretty neat.
It's only better on terrain until you source a questionably legal Orbx install :lol:
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Swift wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pmI've used X-Plane 10 for about a year now
Well, I guess X-Plane 10 is good. I actually meant X-Plane 11. That one sucks. Also, some of the aircraft models are garbage. There's really no difference between X-Plane and FSX, as far as I can tell. Both are quite realistic.
I did not sell very well, so Lockheed killed me. I'm the reason it doesn't make airliners anymore.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!
6. Fegelein can never die, even when Hitler himself tries to kill him. (Downfall parodies)
7. Embraer should restart production of the EMB-110 and EMB-120, as those are my two favourite prop planes.

Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Not1011 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 pm
Swift wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pmI've used X-Plane 10 for about a year now
Well, I guess X-Plane 10 is good. I actually meant X-Plane 11. That one sucks. Also, some of the aircraft models are garbage. There's really no difference between X-Plane and FSX, as far as I can tell. Both are quite realistic.
Yeah that's fair. On the aircraft part that is. There are a lot of differences under the hood between XP and FSX when it comes to flight modeling. FSX is really dumbed down compared to XP. FSX doesn't like post stall anything, so much so the physics engine will go bananas and send your plane rocketing off in random directions. I don't really think anything can compare with XP11, provided you have deep pockets and good hardware :lol:
Dimitry gorbachev
Favorite Aircraft: Airbus Gang

Post by Dimitry gorbachev »

Worst:Google Flight Simulator
Best:Xplane 11 Ultra Graphics
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Deep pockets AND good hardware? I have neither.

Thing is, I've played MSFS ever since I can remember. To switch to something that's different would take too much effort, let alone switching to something that isn't very different.

Sure, X-Plane is very realistic. But I'm a casual simmer, so FSX is enough for me. Also it's cheaper than X-Plane.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Dimitry gorbachev wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:54 amWorst:Google Flight Simulator
Best:Xplane 11 Ultra Graphics
GEFS is an Easter egg. I don't think it can be considered a real flight simulator, given that it's contained within another program.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Ruskiwaffle1991
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Too many to name :)
Location: Philippines, Earth, Sol System, random arm thing of the Milky Way, random supercluster, Universe

Post by Ruskiwaffle1991 »

Worst: Flight Pilot Simulator 3D (although it was crappy, it introduced 8 year old me to aviation)
Best: Modded YSFlight (maybe IL-2 1946 but I never gave it a shot yet)
Never ask a man his salary,
A (i completely forgot)
A Me 262 pilot, how many times his plane's engines caught on fire.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Bell 412, AW139

Post by Bear »

Not1011 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 pm What exactly does OpenYS do?

Soji really shouldn't abandon DirectX. Not everyone has a Linux supercomputer.

Adding another least favourite flight simulator: X-Plane. The desktop version. I kinda do like the mobile version, despite it's limitations and microtransactions, but the desktop version really sucks. Terrain is garbage, ATC doesn't work very well, and there's almost no freeware available. It also requires a high-end computer. And it costs 60$.
If you can’t find freeware for XP11, you’re not looking. The x-plane.org forums have a download section with thousands of airplanes, sceneries, and plugins. Not all of it is great, but there are some true gems out there. Some of my favorites- the Gulfstream IV, the Bell 429, and the Hughes 500. Plenty have 3d cockpits, plenty don’t. You just have to look around there for a bit and you’ll find something great. Spitfires? Hell yeah. Need a high quality 737 (better than the default)? You’re covered. XP11 has great freeware.

I’m not saying that I love XP11. Combat functionality sucks. There’s no CCIP or anything like that. It runs horribly on my potato of a decade-old iMac. But I do enjoy an evening flight over Hawaii, just cruising around. You can go bush flying and do canyon runs in Nevada. Anywhere you go, you can think up a mission. I love YS because I can just fly every day (my dad has to get out and put away the iMac when I want to fly XP11, but that’ll soon change), whenever I’m stuck in a rut on a school project, I’ll burn 15 minutes on a YS aerobatic practice. But XP11 is overall more engaging. You have to learn flows and you can’t just strap the jet on and fly. We’ll likely be getting a new iMac soon, and no doubt XP11 will be infinitely more enjoyable with frame rates that stay sustainably above 27, but I’ll return to YS. The ability to fly online is nice. I just have to save up for a stick.
Hover lover.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

• Worst: YSFlight
  • Best: YSFlight

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
jsu2
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by jsu2 »

YS it the best multiplayer game I've ever played. I have yet to come across another in which I am not toxic
Deleted User 4838

Post by Deleted User 4838 »

Swift wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pm Just to throw my hat in, the best flight sim i've encountered is actually Falcon BMS. I guess you could say it's like DCS but only focused on F-16s. The optimization of that sim is so incredible I ran it on bare bones hardware with it still looking like DCS on high settings. The flight model for the F-16 is incredible and it has a gentle enough learning curve to it. The scenery has been getting a lot more detailed lately and so the experience has only gotten better with time. Really worth checking out if you have a copy of Falcon 4 laying around somewhere.
I bought falcon 4.0 on steam just to use it for the BMS mod. I downloaded BMS, and put it on low graphics, but its running at 1 FPS.
if you can run it on (relatively) bare bones hardware, I'm clearly doing something wrong.