The best and worst flight sim

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed L1011, F-100 Super Saber, Boeing 727

The best and worst flight sim

Post by Not1011 »

What's the best and the worst flight sims for you?
For me:
Worst: FlightGear (garbage, potato graphics, runs slowly even on a relatively powerful computer AND at lowest graphics, giant program size for what it is)
Best: Flight Simulator X (runs very well, decent graphics, for 25 bucks you get a decent sim, flown Microsoft sims since I can remember so I am pretty much at home with FSX)
I did not sell very well, so Lockheed killed me. I'm the reason it doesn't make airliners anymore.

Random stuff:
1. They ain't "sharklets", like Turbofan said.
2. The Tu-114 should really go back into service in a redesigned form.
3. The L-1011 should also return, too.
4. My posts are repeatedly deleted on the AM3 forum.
5. Concorde must return!
6. Fegelein can never die, even when Hitler himself tries to kill him. (Downfall parodies)
7. Embraer should restart production of the EMB-110 and EMB-120, as those are my two favourite prop planes.

"LoL cArgO dOOr" -McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, my sworn enemy
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Re: The best and worst flight sim

Post by Scarecrow »

Worst: YSFlight as of 2018 (close to unusable now, super buggy, broken everything). Flight Gear is also here.
Best: Digital Combat Simulator (DCS)
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Worst YS 18 as Crow said
Best: Prepar3D version 4. you just need a beast to run it
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Sierra
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Post by Sierra »

Worst: DCS, Falcon 4.0, FSX

Best: Roblox, Minecraft
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Scarecrow wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:14 pmWorst: YSFlight as of 2018 (close to unusable now, super buggy, broken everything). Flight Gear is also here.
I haven't tried the new version of YSFlight that you mentioned; maybe you could message Captain YS about the new versions being buggy, so he might fix them?
I did not sell very well, so Lockheed killed me. I'm the reason it doesn't make airliners anymore.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!
6. Fegelein can never die, even when Hitler himself tries to kill him. (Downfall parodies)
7. Embraer should restart production of the EMB-110 and EMB-120, as those are my two favourite prop planes.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

At no point could YSFlight be considered to be in serious competition as a flight simulator. So comparing it to FSX or any mainstream flight simulators is wishful thinking at best, as the tagline, anything is possible in YSFlight proves that point.
Image[/align=centre]
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Gunny wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pmAt no point could YSFlight be considered to be in serious competition as a flight simulator. So comparing it to FSX or any mainstream flight simulators is wishful thinking at best, as the tagline, anything is possible in YSFlight proves that point.
Really? I thought I saw, "YSFlight is the only free flight simulator where anything is possible." It still counts as a flight simulator, even if it borders on being a flying game.

I'll also throw this in and say Infinite Flight is kind of crap, from what I've seen (I don't actually play it, I watch Swiss001 videos). $4.99 on the Play Store?! AND a periodic subscription fee (monthly or yearly)?! All for a limited selection of planes and incomprehensibly bad graphics?! For the base price plus yearly subscription (about 80$-total is about 85$) one could easily buy 3 copies of FSX.
Or just download the latest stable release of YSFlight and get some addons. All free.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Welshy
Staff
Staff

Post by Welshy »

If I'm correct that's not what Gunny was saying.

If I'm reading into it correctly I think he means it hasn't progressed like other sims and is dying off no matter what we try with our best efforts. It has never been comparable to X-Planes or MSFS and doesn't compete with other flight sims.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

Not1011 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:02 am
Scarecrow wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:14 pmWorst: YSFlight as of 2018 (close to unusable now, super buggy, broken everything). Flight Gear is also here.
I haven't tried the new version of YSFlight that you mentioned; maybe you could message Captain YS about the new versions being buggy, so he might fix them?
I have. In fact, I have sent dozens of e-mails since 2008. He continuously ignored our concerns even when given clear examples (and sometimes how to's) on bugs and fixes. Instead, he pursues other projects within the game that are hastily completed, serve no great function, and leave essential parts of the simulator broken. He has sealed his own coffin.
Not1011 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 am
Gunny wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pmAt no point could YSFlight be considered to be in serious competition as a flight simulator. So comparing it to FSX or any mainstream flight simulators is wishful thinking at best, as the tagline, anything is possible in YSFlight proves that point.
Really? I thought I saw, "YSFlight is the only free flight simulator where anything is possible." It still counts as a flight simulator, even if it borders on being a flying game.

I'll also throw this in and say Infinite Flight is kind of crap, from what I've seen (I don't actually play it, I watch Swiss001 videos). $4.99 on the Play Store?! AND a periodic subscription fee (monthly or yearly)?! All for a limited selection of planes and incomprehensibly bad graphics?! For the base price plus yearly subscription (about 80$-total is about 85$) one could easily buy 3 copies of FSX.
Or just download the latest stable release of YSFlight and get some addons. All free.
For what it's worth, "YSFlight is the only free flight simulator where anything is possible" did not come from the creator of YSFlight but rather was a tagline used by this forum, YSFHQ, to promote interest in the game and intrigue the interest of new users. It's more or less a blatant lie, but so is most marketing. Realistically, you're really squeezed in what you can and can not do in this simulator.

The stable release of YSFlight is also a train wreck, the newest versions are nothing less than a dumpster fire. I may sound harsh, but as a veteran of 10 years with this simulator, I understand the struggles. I see you're sort of new (which is awesome!) but don't spend too much effort with this game, as it's pretty much dead sadly. I hate to see it go this way and we're on the swing of lowering the coffin into the ground at this point - just trying to give you a realistic expectation. Otherwise, welcome! :)
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

I've been on this forum for about half a year now. Not new around here.

I already got a message from Indy about this issue, and I replied to him today. Thing is, Captain YS needs to get off his butt and get back to actually releasing stable versions of YSFlight. Not the garbage versions he's releasing as of late. How we, as a community, get him to do that is beyond me.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Basically, YSFlight is Sojis personal test bed for his programming projects and nothing else. It is a learning and teaching tool for him. At no point has he intended for it to be a serious flight simulator? That it has been released at all for our use was just a happy happenstance. And now it seems his needs now diverge from ours. So the golden era of YSFlight has come to an end. But you can still continue with your own resources using the last really stable release as an anchor point to work with. But since he refuses to release the code you guys are going to have to do some workarounds as Flake has done for us.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Image[/align=centre]
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Releasing a game to the public comes with some pretty big responsibilities: maintaining the game, listening to your fanbase, not screwing up the game, etc. If he doesn't want to keep releasing stable versions, he should simply announcement that YSFlight development has come to an end, and that the game will no longer be supported officially.

Alternatively, he could open source the code, but we all know how that went. cough cough Linux cough cough FlightGear cough cough

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

The problem with opening source is some people like to run off without purpose with it.

But if you have a clear goal and vision, and fork it rather than edit on the master, I don't see much problem.

This is precicely why my OpenYS library is open source - just clone from the master and see what you can do with it.

I wish Soji had the same mentality.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Well, there's that. There really should be a "clear goal and vision", as you said.

Thing is, one has to convince Soji of the benefits of doing such a thing-and warn him about doing the mistakes Linus Torvalds, for example, did when he open sourced Linux; basically, warn him of the mistakes many other people did when converting their programs to OSS (open source software). Torvalds didn't have a very clear vision or goal; therefore, there's the cesspool that is the Linux community today, full of outright infighting, and with a half-million forks. If Soji gives the YSFlight playerbase a clear goal/vision, then there won't be the same issues.

He OSS's YSFlight as it is right now, it'll ultimately fall, as Linux sorta has.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Belmont
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Belmont »

The best I've played is YSflight 2015
i've got to agree FlightGear is definitely the worst
Last edited by Belmont on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To V2 or not to V2 that is the question.
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Not1011 »

Ah, welcome, Belmont!

Yes, FlightGear is definitely garbage. Though it does have some potential.
Gunny wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:36 pm So the golden era of YSFlight has come to an end.
Off-topic, but same goes for Minecraft. Its golden age ended some time ago. Mojang has gone the way of Soji.

Random stuff:
5. Concorde must return!

Indy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by Indy »

Plenty of users, including myself, have high-end computers, the newest equipment, and the best simulators out there, but still enjoy many aspects of YS.

As an owner of nearly all of the DCS modules, P3D, and X-Plane 11, the newest Thrustmaster Warthog set-up, and an Oculus Rift CV1, I still enjoy YSFlight for what it is. The simplicity, accessibility, and community-drive that the platform has still makes it a relevant part of my life.

Some people on the HQ need to understand that just because YS18 isn't ideal (and that's an understatement) and they've moved on from the game, doesn't mean everyone has or should.

I do agree with plenty of what has been mentioned previously on the downfall of the newer YS versions, but I think some of us should take a step back for a minute. :lol:
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

My friends, when I criticize YS I do so out of love and concern, not out of spite or derision. I have been a real-world pilot so I have no need to re-train on any of the high-end simulators as my health will no longer allow me to ever fly a real A/C again. But YS allows me my fantasy to not be ground locked in my decaying body if just for a little while. And to me, YS is not just a game but a community that I have come to think of as an extension of my real world family. Patrick, Flake, Turbofan to just name a few. And when Soji speaks of this YSFHQ as just a tool with no regard as to what he has unwittingly created I get upset and angry. But never at this group, I think of as friends and family.
Image[/align=centre]
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I agree with Indy, though there has been a lot of new-version bashing (rightly so imo), our focus should not be on the negatives of the newer YS versions but the positives of the old versions.

I've been thinking for a while now we should focus on the <= 2011 YSF versions. Not too many people have complaints about those versions.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Welshy
Staff
Staff

Post by Welshy »

The main problem here lies that the 2015 update has been adapted by the combat community (and to a lesser extent the civilian one) whereas the aero community has continued with 2012 due to the net code. Whilst OYS goes some way to rectifying this issue it doesn't completely solve it. What we actually need is 2015 with 2011 net code.

And then I will not start on Soji's plans to abandon DX support, this is going to lead to older computers being unable to run YS at anything above 10 fps (I'm not being precise here) and will mean that people really won't be adopting new versions at all!
YSFHQ Elected Overlord