Your speciality

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Shutter

Your speciality

Post by Shutter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Tell people what you can do modding wise!

I am personally pretty fond of modeling and can do some good painting. I despise animation, detailing and dat work but I am reasonably good at handling those all the same.

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: CH-136 Kiowa, Yak-130 Mitten

Re: Your specialty

Post by waspe414 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:07 am

I know Scenedit pretty well, and can hack around with Notepad with the best of them. I tend to favour more realistic .dats, and get most stuff by trial and error, but I can do almost anything with performance. Negligible mesh/painting experience.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 am

I like doing meshes, animation and .dat work really; I can paint and add decals, but it's just a pain in the ass for me as I'm still working out kinks before I start using 3D Max.

For meshes I use Sketchup to make the model, then split it up in there and export it into .srf's, filtering out double polys while I'm there (colordel works wonders for that).

For editing parts (to fix any normals I've overlooked, adding finer details, etc) I use gepolyx and gepolyo.

For animating I use the english dnmviewer and for .dats, obviously notepad with some good intuition.
Royal Australian Air Force
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am

Typically painting. Currently only basic paints as I still need to practice with the knife tool in Blender. A little .dat work as well.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:13 am

If you want a dat with surreal realism, I'm your man. ;)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 am

I don't always mod, but when I do, I like to mash a bunch of stuff from different planes together and stitch it all together in geopolyo. I have no problems assembling things in dnmviewer, but there are some animations I do better than others. I rather like assembling dats, and the flight testing which follows to work out odd bugs and make something that feels reasonable. I do not much enjoy painting, or detailing models, and my decals are no better than ok.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C

Re: Your speciality

Post by Crazypilot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:44 am

I'm currently experimenting with that trying to make a mixture of the F-22 and Harrier.I just love blender and I can get painting planes done real quick if I set my mind on it because I have too much freetime.
Boneless Pizza

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm getting better at scratch modeling, and for now it's what I most like of modding.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Forgot to mention that I can be a plane breaker/tester. I can do that without even trying. Just PM me so I can put my "skills" to the test. :D
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Good to know. :)

Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Bombcat wrote:I don't always mod, but when I do, I like to mash a bunch of stuff from different planes together and stitch it all together in geopolyo. I have no problems assembling things in dnmviewer, but there are some animations I do better than others. I rather like assembling dats, and the flight testing which follows to work out odd bugs and make something that feels reasonable. I do not much enjoy painting, or detailing models, and my decals are no better than ok.
Pretty much the same, except i concentrate on research and math to come up with realistic numbers. Not necessarily accurate, but realistic. Sometimes I'll do a basic mockup and hand it off to be finished up nice and pretty.
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Spaceships I see when in a K hole

Post by Welshy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:15 pm

DATS and basic painting
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant

If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 am

I'm by no means an expert in anything, but I'm fairly comfortable with Scenery Editor, and I like working on airports.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 am

I'm not the best, but I know my way around scenery editor and repainting.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 am

3 new people tonight. Fuckyeah.jpg

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 am

I'm a newbie to repainting and since I can't get blender to work properly on my computer, I use gepolyo and am only repainting polygons and crap right now. Still have to learn to make accurate designs and put things onto aircraft but I have an exceptional understanding of how all ys' files work and getting them in the right place and also know what they all mean from scenery to ground to aircraft files.

I'm much better than anything when it comes to scenery editing and am always learning new tricks to make my maps cleaner and more professional. I like to make big maps that you can actually fly from one place to another on (take my Vice Beach map for example). I'm currently making my hometown and I'm going to put together a list of places that interest me tremendously and am thinking of hitting up when I get a chance. When you want to make a large map of the real world as a project, I get highly interested.

I am very good at making precision airport runways and layouts. When it comes to other things besides that, I spend more time because I know I'm not the best but I will get it right. I am good at putting together references for places (I have an 8 picture reference for Nellis AFB saved up) so that detail of the upmost awesomeness can be achieved. So if anyone wants to make say a map of Manhattan, expect me to get an 8 picture reference for it that will let you trace every sidewalk (that's not covered by a building haha) and if needed, more.

I also like to go to other maps and edit them to be better (my first modding experience came from giving Talon/Scarecrow's Louisville map lights). I am always learning new stuff and that pretty much sums up my abilities.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

NavyGator
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Prop-Driven civil

Post by NavyGator » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 am

I've done drafting, and surveying. So I am looking forward to being able to recreate
models of real-life areas. I still use CAD to draw a lot of stuff, but most of that is
not usable for YSFlight, however that being said, I can still use it to get some accuracy
in ScenEditor, I draw using meters to obtain needed coordinate points and/or distances,
as well as creating my own scale reference maps. PrintScreen works there too.
Since I like to draw I know that I will eventually learn to do .srf's, and then learn to use
them to create ground objects, and such. My limitation apparently is in recreating
halfway realistic-looking stuff. most of what I do is accurate but . . . I have trouble getting
it to look reasonably realistic, to myself anyway. .. Or does everyone get that?

Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

NavyGator wrote:most of what I do is accurate but . . . I have trouble getting
it to look reasonably realistic, to myself anyway. .. Or does everyone get that?
It's like that for everyone. It takes practice and persistence to achieve quality. Colors also play a major role in map making. A good color pallet for scenery editor can do wonders.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Looking for a recommendation on a color palate for the Philippines map project. Check out my modding team folder for the primitive selection we have now. Open to any suggestions.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:11 pm

I suggest using the back reference to help you with that in some way. Try to match the colors by playing with it and select a color you think will work. Then draw a polygon inside the color on the reference and it should make it look as if you took it from the reference and drew it on the map. For example, if trying to match the color of a lake, pick a similar color and draw a triangle or whatever in the middle of the lake. The color should change from a dimmed out lake color to look like it were actually there just like the picture.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer