Ørb# (Orb Sharp) Development Log

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Re: Ørb# (Orb Sharp) Development Log

Post by Eric »

I understand. Multithreading can get messy.

Also, I was wondering if Orb has been tested on any non-Windows platform. I know that you may get a port-in-use error if you try to run the YS server and then try to restart it (with connected clients), on Ubuntu anyway.
I make this website.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Only windows. I may compile for linux/osx using other compiling tools, but support will be very limited.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

OfficerFlake wrote:Only windows. I may compile for linux/osx using other compiling tools, but support will be very limited.
So. Will it work on a VPS? I'm running Windows 2012.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

should do.

I assume Win 2012 has .net?
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Changes to the YSFHQ Authentication module to help people with connection problems. (More feedback).
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Changed the compilation mode to Any CPU - so now x64 and x86.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Can now add and remove ranks from a group on the fly.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

OfficerFlake wrote:Next commands will be add/remove groups from the console. Change group founders from the console (group founders have absolute power over a group), and then add and remove ranks to the group, and re-order ranks as needed.
All done and tested.

Now it's time to start coding info reports for groups, users and ranks.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

About on equal footing, maybe a bit beyond, what python based orb could do in every regard now.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Private messaging now enabled:

@@<groupname> message, @@<groupname>,<groupname2>... message
@<member> message, @<member>,<member2>... message
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

The next few steps are going to get a little difficult:

I'll be adding /ban, /kick/ mute etc, and then adding permissions management on-the-fly to the server as well.

Then we'll kick into alpha release.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

OfficerFlake wrote:I'm thinking I need to convert the YSPS Script to python. It's not low level, but the lag isn't very noticable

For now, I've made a simple call and response client that listens to the server for commands

Later, I will make that script work as a proxy instead, then work on having commands implementable. :D

Here's a simple demo. If it doesn't understand, it just says "WAT". If you get a "/nvm" then is says "coolstorybro" and "/exit" causes the loop to end and the client to DC.

Blast from the past? This was Feburary 07, 2012.

That's when it all started. A year and a half ago.

Now look where we are.

Learn to code kiddies. The change you can bring to just about anything is insane.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Restructured scrolltocarat and consolerefresh into the thread lock. Should be safe now I hope.

Added an exception catch for when a public ip lookup fails (applicable only to local hosts).

Now logging chat messages (no group messages or private messages etc. are logged.)

now hiding console when servergui mode is on.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

OfficerFlake wrote:Time to check if the username thing we discussed is happening! :D
Support for usernames of any length added, without assuming anything.

Orb is now intended to be used ONLY by the latest stable build and up.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

users can now be banned both permanently and temporarily.

unbanning of users to come.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Banning/UnBanning fully implemented.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Mute/Unmute fully implemented.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Kick Implemented.

Released Orb Pre-Alpha 1.0 - 03Sep13 to the test team. (Orb Enthusiasts Group).

LET ME KNOW OF ANY ISSUES! :D
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

I'm working on the YSFHQ Authentication module.

Will now work like so:

User logs in with YSFHQ Username. If a matching name isn't found, user is denied.

IF a match IS found, IP records are checked. if matching, user is authorised.

If NOT matching, user has the option to enter a password to override the authentication. This can be set per user by that user. if a user decides that don't want a password, anyone can log on as that user.

Passwords are stored in the user database, hashed with MD5 and a custom generated SALT for each PC, stored in a DLL generated on the fly for security. The console owner doesn't even know what the SALT is...

Even if they DID, it's be damned hard for them to crack it because it is MD5 anyway...

Hopefully this new system will be welcomed by all.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Using a autoresetevent list for input waiting threads.

Pretty much, some actions require the user to type something in. Such as passwords, etc.

In the past, I was using a "get one packet" to repeatedly grab YSFlight packets, tossing the spares and waiting until I got type 32.

This is obviously dangerous as it means two threads are operating on the socket receive thread, and that can royally stuff EVERYTHING for that client.

I've instead coded a "input result" for chat messages, and input waiter list.

when sending a standard chat message, the server checks to see if there are any threads expecting input. It updates the input field, and tells all those threads that the data has been received, and removes them from the list.

Sounds a bit complicated, IS complicated, but tested robustly and it works, much MUCH better.