Ørb# (Orb Sharp) Development Log

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: Ørb# (Orb Sharp) Development Log

Post by NightRaven » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:21 pm

...And this happens.
[previmg]https://i.imgur.com/F41yeEN.png[/previmg]

EDIT:
Managed to get in after spamming the server. Hope your com doesn't crash. :mrgreen:

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 am

Fixing the way the Database Loads and Saves.

The old system of switch/case was way too hard to manage.

I'm moving towards an automated system, that recognizes each type, converts to that type and loads accordingly. The database will no longer be "initialised". All objects will be created as the loading process finds them. This means all links will be ok. (saves wasting time doing the same thing twice.)

Most things are NOT working anymore. I'll need to fix them as I go, but they should be fine in a week.

The result of this system is adding of new data fields on the fly, without having to modify the save/load code => faster development.

Plus the database loading system was dodgy anyway. :lol:

Most people will agree that the program is buggy at the moment. That's the direction I'm taking with the project now: bug testing and stability.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 am

Group and Rank loading should be mostly back to normal. Need to confirm that permissions are loading/saving correctly.

The total maintanable code count has about 1/5 of what it originally was.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 am

Thing like Converter.Convert(Object, Type) and String.Remove(index, count) having different standards in c# (one uses x = ... and the other does not.) are the reasons why I have trust issues.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 am

CommandInfo added.

/Commands and /Help will get you started!

Time for clean up all the code and hide incomplete functions, do stability testing and fixing, and then public release of Orb 1.0(Alpha) will be done!

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:04 am

OfficerFlake wrote:CommandInfo added.

/Commands and /Help will get you started!

Time for clean up all the code and hide incomplete functions, do stability testing and fixing, and then public release of Orb 1.0(Alpha) will be done!
ALL MY YES ARE BELONG TO U

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 am

What support applications are needed to run Orb? The coloured text does not appear (nor any text at all) when the window shows up. :?

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 am

Got any errors showing up?

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:26 am

Um...any error window? No.
If the errors were in the Orb window, I wouldn't be able to see them.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 am

It would throw the "orb has crashed" window.

Tell me about your system: Windows version? .Net support?

Does the window just sit there and do nothing?

Is it a console window or a blank forms window?

What resolution is your PC running?

Have you tried disabling GUI mode in the settings.dat?

Copy and paste your settings.dat to me or zip your whole install and send to me, I'll figure out what's wrong.

I assume we are talking about the c# version and not python? python is obsolete, I won't be working on it anymore.

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:41 am

It's a blank black window with the title Orb for Ysflight - Console. Is it supposed to show up like a cmd window?

I'm running Linux
I do have .Net 4 (took forever to install)
Res: 800 x 600

Orb does seem to work on my windows 7 though.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:10 pm

There's probably a reason for that:

Orb, when loading, compiles and deploys an Orb.DLL file. This file contains some black magic that makes your computer unique and keeps your passwords safe. I could tell you how it works, and everything would still be safe, because the salt itself is added to an md5 checksum to generate the code, pretty hard to reverse engineer.

Note however, that if you delete the orb.dll, no-one will be able to log in with their passwords or will be able to change them.

In future, i'll add a check and see if the database is populated, and, if so, remove all passwords if the orb.dll is non existant. but I digress.

Try adding the line "GUIMODE\tFALSE" (where \t is a tab) to your settings.dat and see if it helps you (will revert to console based). NOTE, that console based uses windows DLL's so that may not even help you, but hey. I think you won't need that part of the code though as it bypasses it after figuring out that you should be using console mode...

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks Flake, I can see it now. :D
I didn't know that setting was in there.

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Specific to Linux machines, I know from experience that it may have trouble binding the port if you've already ran a YS server prior to launching it again (as long as the computer hasn't restarted). There may still be some zombie connections (TCP sockets in the TIME_WAIT state) holding onto the port, preventing it from being bound to the Orb executable. See this article for more info on how you would go about fixing that state.

All that being said, I have no idea if that's why the server is failing to start. Just a possibility as you have a unique configuration.
I make this website.

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Eric wrote:Specific to Linux machines, I know from experience that it may have trouble binding the port if you've already ran a YS server prior to launching it again...
That happens sometimes, only If I log YSChat into the server.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 am

Starting to think towards the future now, in regards to API.

Going to rework commands to a plugin based interface instead, similar to how bukkit plugins are made for minecraft.

The below is just so I don't forget:

Code: Select all

List<CommandModule>

CommandModule._Name, ._Version, ._Date, ._Author, ._Description, ._Help, ._Command

CommandVars: <$User>, <$Group>, <$Rank>, $Type1 $Type2

Types: RealName of object type, eg: String, Boolean, DateTime etc...

Prefacing: Group.<$Group>.Info / User.<$User>.Info << Avoids conflicts, eg: group and user of name "orb".

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 am

Bugs in Latest alpha:
  • file writing is not thread safe: need to code a thread locking mechanism for writing to files.
  • orb.dll loading is not file safe: assuming the file exists at a point in the code, causes program to crash
  • Settings.dat not auto filled on first deploy.
  • There should be an admin group and user created on first deploy.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:54 am

Next Alpha Release planned features:
  • Cleanup Commands with new pluggable structure, allowing for plugin development.
    First Start guide
    Fix the Console GUI, allow it to be scaleable.
    Implement Damage/KDR System.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Database autogen on first launch: creates a server group, an admin and a moderator template.
Settings are now saved on first launch
A "first start" guide is now written when the datbase is autogen'd. It will help take you through setting up your server. *cough jetskit*
Changed the delay for the server start from 0 to 3. this gives you a few seconds to view the database load log in the console window

while working on the clearline function, accidently solved the scrolltocaret crash: turns out I was only moving the start of the selection, not the whole selection. this does not move the END of the selection, which, when removing data from the text box, will then fall outside of the memory (the selection position is now outside the length of the box!). This has been corrected to a select(end of text, 0), which does move the caret to the end of the text.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Finally corrected "clearline" for GUI.

funilly enough it's not my fault for once!

C# has an issue where it will not update a selectedtext to "" if the control is readonly. (but it does anything else, like "*" or "blah").

I hope they fix that.

I'm making do with unsetting read only, then re-setting readonly straight after.