a syllabus for learning modding!? (proposal)

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Silver Sergeant
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Mig 29 fulcrum

a syllabus for learning modding!? (proposal)

Post by Silver Sergeant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:27 am

learning modding in YSF ain't no easy task, most people would give up half way due to just how hard it is, or due to not knowing how to utilize the skill learned. but in school education system, a syllabus is created to teach a subject from basic to advance, and allow the students to utilize the skill and teachers can track and fix problem of the students who ask it, thus more efficiently teach information to a mass audience.

so i suggest to you ysfhq modding community something you can help, a YSFlight modding syllabus.

this can help not only the members in YSFHQ community to learn modding easier, but also may attract new members to the community (as more people are willing learn how to mod and contribute to the community)

i believe there should a numbered check list/lessons of which slowly give you different objective to complete which based around different components of modding in ysf each explained (in detail hopefully).You start from bottom(basic), work your way to above(advance). By the time you do, you will understand the many component of modding and able to create decent mods like many other more experience modders.
[highlight=#ffbf00]as of right now its just modding tutorial all over the place and topic come out as tutorial are available for them, thus not very organised, and can confuse people on which step to take to learn more of modding.[/highlight]
this post may sound like its school, but thrust me i am not trying to make ysf a school, just lessons you can complete at your own leisure. :)

P.s i can't really mod, yet.
Image <-- i am not that blue creature in the cockpit now

я не русский. лололол :D

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: a syllabus for learning modding!? (proposal)

Post by Midnight Rambler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 am

So a topic with links to tutorials? I have a feeling that something like this is done, I just can't remember where...

Silver Sergeant
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Mig 29 fulcrum

Post by Silver Sergeant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 am

like for example, i want to make a bi-plane, so i look up the tutorial, but after learning very basic repaint, i have no idea where to go.
Image <-- i am not that blue creature in the cockpit now

я не русский. лололол :D

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 am

Ok I get you now. I reckon you'd be better off learning to model in blender itself rather than just for YS. The program is very powerful and there are tons of tutorials available on the web on making different models.

I found the best way is to simply mess around with the simple objects (cylinder, cube, etc) and change their shapes be modelling the vertices into the shape I want them. I also like using Boolean and some modifiers to change the mesh... More or less experimentation.

I do also believe that Decaff has made some youtube tutorials about modelling from scratch which you may want yo check out. Others may be able to answer your questions better than I can though.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm

I like the idea of getting the tutorials organized. I have moved many tutorials over to the YSFS Wiki, but there isn't a massive link page that can direct you to everything. Ideally we would move everything over to the Wiki, in order to keep everything centralized, however it can be hard to do that. Also, having downloadable pdfs of the tutorials could be a great thing to have.

I have started a series on the Wiki to take someone from noob to competent modeler in blender. However, I only have part 1 and some of part 2 completed. I will be trying to work on this more.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database