Turbofan's SPUN

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Turbofan's SPUN

Post by Turbofan »

I decided to start my own thread for my maps, especially since there's a lot more down the road I will be working on. This is my Scenery Production Updates and News (SPUN) topic. I will post updates here from now on.

So a while back, V8-DLA correctly pointed out the first part of the reason why I re-named the airport code for Mandiola Int'l. It's indeed because Malta Int'l has the same code as Mandiola Airport did - MLA. The second part, which some of you may have already guessed, is because I am now beginning work on CMI Extended. This will actually incorporate two real-world locations - Malta and Pantelleria, Italy. Credit goes to Patrick for the idea as he approached me about this last month, and I was more than happy with his plan.

Patrick has graciously allowed me to make any changes I want to his maps. The biggest changes will come to the airfields (taxiways lights, J-lines etc). A short list of items I will work on include the following:

- Updating the ramps, taxiway and runways at MLA (keep in mind - I am now referring to Malta Int'l, not Mandiola) with colour more akin to the actual airport (predominantly concrete)
- Re-do of the approach lighting system for the main RWY at MLA (13-31)
- Re-do of the runway lights for both runways
- Adding taxi lines for the rapid-exit taxiways, ramp and other taxiways as necessary at MLA and Pantelleria Airport (PNL)
- Adding hold-short bars for certain taxiways
- Adding J-lines at both airports for aircraft parking
- Adding city lights and other lighting as necessary
- Additional markings as required

This is more or less what I will work on at PNL also. I won't change a whole lot on the rest of the islands themselves other than adding city lights, highway/road lighting etc. Maybe some change in colours to different areas but for the most part, I will leave the topographical parts as is. This is also my first "venture" into real-world locations for map making, so that should definitely keep things interesting (thanks Pat :lol:)

Here are some screen shots of work that is already in progress:
Spacing out of aircraft parking positions at MLA according to what you see in Google Maps and airport photos. Taxilanes and additional J-lines will be added in due course
Spacing out of aircraft parking positions at MLA according to what you see in Google Maps and airport photos. Taxilanes and additional J-lines will be added in due course
An overview of MLA with the new concrete colour
An overview of MLA with the new concrete colour
MLA has some unique markings, which I will add in as necessary
MLA has some unique markings, which I will add in as necessary
It goes without saying that with two additional airfields in CMI Extended, you will have more routes to choose from.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: Turbofan's SPUN

Post by Neocon »

As great as those screenshots look, I would say the most amazing part is that we kept this a secret for so long. :lol:
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Your scenery is particularly amazing. It's mostly because you don't stinge on the small details.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Patrick31337 wrote:As great as those screenshots look, I would say the most amazing part is that we kept this a secret for so long. :lol:
I'll agree with that. Quite the amazing feat. :lol:
OfficerFlake wrote:Your scenery is particularly amazing. It's mostly because you don't stinge on the small details.
That's mighty nice of you Flake, thank you! :)
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Well done sir.Well done indeed :)
Image[/align=centre]
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Post by Dragon_Mech »

in this CMI iteration, would you please add landing lights to the abel flights hq building helipad? it's a right pain in the arse (almost literally) to land on it in the dark as the building almost completly blends in with the ground at night. and could you do the same for the other helipads as well?
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Dragon_Mech wrote:in this CMI iteration, would you please add landing lights to the abel flights hq building helipad? it's a right pain in the arse (almost literally) to land on it in the dark as the building almost completly blends in with the ground at night. and could you do the same for the other helipads as well?
Yes, I will add those in. There are also some other minor improvements I will add in (like Pat's VOR-DME at LNB; still not sure how that happened), addition of taxiway centerline lights to taxiway HA south of Pier B at LNB etc.

Btw, by other helipads, if you mean Pat's - he's included a set of six or so white edge lights on his helipads. Are they not visible on your end in night mode?
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

i may need to re-download pat's ground pack, but i can't see any lights on pats helipad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
i just flew around MXA while offline and at night. i was able to see the lights on pat's helipads.
but for some reason while i was flying in the YSCAS server while pat was running the CMI map, i was not able to see the lights on the helipads.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Yea i noticed that two last time i flew. No light for the heli pads.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Hmm, that is pretty strange. I don't know what it might be other than something to do with the 2015 version, or OYS. Can't think of anything else though. [CaptainObvious]The fact that it's not working for you both online but it's working offline means that there's something going on with the server/client for those particular lights[/CaptainObvious]

Patrick, you have any input on this?
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Aircraft lights do weird things on OYS, but the lights on ground objects are just regular pieces of the .dnm (CLA 0).

Do they fail to show up only in Dx, or also in OpenGL2? I ask because they are the new star lights that may not work properly in DirectX and OGL1.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Just FYI, I see them fine both offline and online and I'm using the 2011 OGL version.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I just checked and the lights are visible both online (through OYS) and offline with all three versions of the 2015 release of YSF.

Maybe if you can't see them you need to redownload my ground objects pack?
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

i primarily use the D3D 2015 version of YS. i tend to have slower framerates with the OGL versions. and i have the latest version of patricks ground pack installed as well.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

^That maybe the reason you're having trouble with the lights like Pat said, possibly the D3D version not rendering them correctly.

Got some more work done at MLA. The blue taxilane is primarily used by widebodies to allow for wingtip clearances when taxiing on the ramp. I have also completed the exit taxiway markings and added hold bars for some taxiways, and runway lighting is complete for RWY 13-31.
The blue taxilane is used by widebody aircraft to allow for adequate wingtip separation (from what I gather for MLA operations on Ramp 9)
The blue taxilane is used by widebody aircraft to allow for adequate wingtip separation (from what I gather for MLA operations on Ramp 9)
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Airfield lighting is basically finished at Malta Airport, just need to add the approach lights for RWY 31 and both ends of the crosswind runway. After that, on to the city/highway lights, and other stuff like adding in viewpoints.
Malta_airfield_lighting.png
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Work on Malta and the airport is complete. I have added PAPIs and ILSs for RWY 13-31, and an ILS only for RWY 23. You're on your own for RWY 05 :lol: Here are some more screen shots of the "upgrades".
I have no idea what this sign means other than the indication of the airport's location in the area called Luqa, which is part of the Malta metropolitan area. You can easily find this sign on Google Maps if you look closely at the pyramid-shaped parking aprons (for fighter jets I presume) on the northern side of the field.
I have no idea what this sign means other than the indication of the airport's location in the area called Luqa, which is part of the Malta metropolitan area. You can easily find this sign on Google Maps if you look closely at the pyramid-shaped parking aprons (for fighter jets I presume) on the northern side of the field.
MLA has a simple approach lighting system on RWY 31 for night time landings.
MLA has a simple approach lighting system on RWY 31 for night time landings.
Not shown here are minor modifications to the cargo ramp, as well as addition of J-lines to both, the cargo and GA ramps. And also city lights. I decided to forego road/highway lighting since there are a fair number of city lights already, but I will add those in if there's a great protest over those :P. Other than adding in F9 viewpoints, work is essentially done on Malta.

I will begin work on Pantelleria this weekend.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

That's some amazing work!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Work is still in progress on CMI Extended. Here are some shots of Pantelleria.
Overhead shot of the entire island. I have mainly updated the colours of the hills and volcanic islands, as well as the topograhical  features of the island surrounding the airport. I've also added the farms/fields around the airport area but there are numerous (hundreds) of such fields, so what I have is only a representation.
Overhead shot of the entire island. I have mainly updated the colours of the hills and volcanic islands, as well as the topograhical features of the island surrounding the airport. I've also added the farms/fields around the airport area but there are numerous (hundreds) of such fields, so what I have is only a representation.
Pantelleria Airport. Here I have updated the runway and ramp colours to reflect the real-life counterpart's colours, as well as the new ramp. Patrick did a great job (as always) with the airfield. PNL is your basic landing strip and since it's in the middle of nowhere on a very tiny island, it's been rather difficult to find good information on landing aids and the ramp parking layout etc etc. So this will be a very basic airfield. Night landing aids will available. Only thing left to do here is that the ramp J-lines/taxiway guidelines.
Pantelleria Airport. Here I have updated the runway and ramp colours to reflect the real-life counterpart's colours, as well as the new ramp. Patrick did a great job (as always) with the airfield. PNL is your basic landing strip and since it's in the middle of nowhere on a very tiny island, it's been rather difficult to find good information on landing aids and the ramp parking layout etc etc. So this will be a very basic airfield. Night landing aids will available. Only thing left to do here is that the ramp J-lines/taxiway guidelines.
Richard Vo
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A380, JAS-39

Post by Richard Vo »

So you're doing Malta, right? :)
The A380 is ahead of its time. With the resilient passenger traffic growth for times to come (reference from Airbus's Global Market Forecast), plus congested airports, the A380 could not be ignored.

By any chance if you have Instagram, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero and if you have Twitter, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero. Appreciate that!