Mig-41 Firefly, my first scratch built model

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Deleted User 2433

Mig-41 Firefly, my first scratch built model

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

So i got bored with modding other people's work, don't get me wrong it's fun at first but when it starts to become more of making things yourself and getting frustrated when it doesn't work with your fave plane then it's time to pull on the big boy pants.

so for my very first scratch build i'm working on a modified version of Abiator's Mig-41, which honestly reminds me of a high tech Mig-21.
Attachments
Got the nose semi done
Got the nose semi done
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Re: Mig-41 Firefly, my first scratch built model

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Looking forward to it.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015
Deleted User 2433

got this from the creator last night, my hopes have skyrocketed:
"Hi! I'm glad to hear that there are fans of my design! I do not mind if the aircraft will be in your simulator. I just want to have that name has been preserved

Some time back I started a redesign of MiG-41 cause the model that i made 5 years ago no longer satisfy me. The new version is called MiG-41K Fulmar (for aircraft carrier). It's not ready yet, but I can provide Work-in-Progress renders & schemes.

P.S. Sorry for my English :) Regards!"
Deleted User 2433

so far so good, little bit of work on the wings still. working on the canopy right now.
Attachments
Screenshot (203).png
Screenshot (202).png
Deleted User 2433

general body work done, now adding the details and cutting the parts out.
Attachments
Screenshot (209).png
Screenshot (208).png
Screenshot (207).png
Flyin Phil
Favorite Aircraft: Su-47 Berkut

Post by Flyin Phil »

Seems to be coming together pretty well so far, can't wait to get this thing in the air. It's a really great design, a very nice modernization of the older MiG's.

Also, thank you for introducing me to this artist, I found his DeviantArt, and he has some fantastic pictures.
Deleted User 2433

Thanks, this has been pretty fun for me to test my limits. Decided to tackle the landing gear doors and weapons bays, the gear is from a shinden but that might be temporary.
Attachments
Screenshot (213).png
Screenshot (212).png
Screenshot (211).png
Snake6
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35, F/A-18E

Post by Snake6 »

Looks really good so far. Good luck. :)
Deleted User 2433

ya jinxed me :lol:

one small issue i encountered... in trying to remove the shadows from the bay doors i believe i made the initial problem worse, how exactly can i fix this.
Attachments
Screenshot (225).png
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Use the edge split modifier in Blender. If that doesn't solve it to your satisfaction, then you will need to probably do some things by hand. This video will explain somethings regarding the shading in YSFlight & Blender
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Deleted User 2433

ok so the problem was the way i did this was an old and probably idiotic way of cutting but i copied the body then deleted everything but the doors, that probably caused the problem since blender might have been shading the door as if it were the whole body. i'll test the theory.
Deleted User 2433

alrighty i'm just going to post the beta model... i can't get it to work so if anyone is willing to help please do so.
Attachments
Mig-41.zip
(196.16 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Okay a couple of things.

(1) If you are working in Blender, including the .blend file when asking for other ppl to look at it as it will make things go faster AND also eliminate the chance for the import script to make an error. I have seen several cases where faces are just dropped. (but not on this model)

(2) You need to separate the door mesh from the mesh of the fuselage. When in Edit mode, select the vertices that make up the door and then press P in order to move them into a new object.

(3) it looks like you have some overlapping vertices/faces from the use of the mirror modifier. I would go back along the top and bottom of the fuselage and merge those overlapping vertices together. Otherwise you should see a ridge running along the belly and spine of everything when in-game.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
Deleted User 2433

i joined the doors to the main body to see if it would re-shade them as part of the body. unfortunately most of what i was trying didn't work. i do apologize for the nature of the parts, it is my first scratch model so i'm still learning. i do appreciate the help.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

No need to apologize for anything. It's great that you are trying to create a model from scratch. Because of how YSFlight is rendered, you will not have the doors smooth like they weren't even there. If you take a look at the CEP F-35 and compare it to the ROK F-35 you will see that around the cut out doors on the ROK version, there are some shading issues. With the CEP model it looks smooth, because the weapon bays were not actually cut into the fuselage. Instead the doors appear and then there is a black covering. It's a tradeoff as to what you want. Smooth fuselage or detailed weapons bay?

Submit Addon To Database
Deleted User 2433

hm, makes sense. I always wondered why some planes just used the shadow instead of actually cutting out the bay.
Snake6
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35, F/A-18E

Post by Snake6 »

The shading system in YS is weird. Fixing shading issues on the model is longer than making the model itself. :(
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

The edge split modifier is something that can you can fiddle with to make the shading corrections go faster. I thought I had linked the blender wiki earlier, but when I looked back, I hadn't! :oops:

It takes some patience to get the shading right, but when you get more experienced you can plan for shading while making the model so you don't have to have such a tedious process like you are working on now. ;)

Submit Addon To Database
Deleted User 2433

lol for a second there i was like what the hell is he talking about. now that i tried it the problem was fixed! :ugeek: thanks for the help.
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

decaff_42 wrote:No need to apologize for anything. It's great that you are trying to create a model from scratch. Because of how YSFlight is rendered, you will not have the doors smooth like they weren't even there. If you take a look at the CEP F-35 and compare it to the ROK F-35 you will see that around the cut out doors on the ROK version, there are some shading issues. With the CEP model it looks smooth, because the weapon bays were not actually cut into the fuselage. Instead the doors appear and then there is a black covering. It's a tradeoff as to what you want. Smooth fuselage or detailed weapons bay?
There was a tutorial on someone's blog/page long ago that solved the shading issues where the body was smooth and didn't make the part stand out from the rest of the body. The sucky part is that the tutorial was lost when infoseek shut down as one of the many 2ch modders used this service and the page is now gone. It's possible but as far as remembering how it was done is lost on me as well since this was back in 2013 or so when the pages were still up. I vaguely remember it had something to do with the vertices recalculating their positions after a section was removed when using perl scripts and requiring manually deleting sections without using a script and having a base part to go by.