How To Create A Server

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

How To Create A Server

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Hi guys, I've noticed a lot of people have been asking how to set up a server. The standard response has been to forward port 7915 and configure your firewall which did very little to help me when I got started.

I'm going to try and show you through pictures and step-by-step instructions how I managed to set up a server for YSF. In another gaming forum someone did a similar tutorial which gave me the right idea and I eventually managed to make it work.

Some things to get across first: I take no responsibility for you stuffing up your router/modem/computer/YSF files, if you stuff up following my tutorial then that is not my problem.

Theory
I have a modem that connects to a wireless router. As a result I have to open port 7915 in the modem through to the router and connect it to my personal computer IP address.

Modem is the iConnect 621
Router is the DLink DI-524 Wireless Router.

Opening the Router

My router is an Open iConnect 621, to get to this router’s menu I must type in its IP address into the web browser (IE, Fire fox, Chrome etc....). In this case, it is 192.168.1.254 (I found this out by Google-ing my router model)

Image (Click for larger image)

A username screen came up, enter your details (again, default can be found on the internet through a Google search on the model)

The Router

The main menu screen will appear. What you want to look for is something similar to ADVANCED or TOOLS, this will show another menu leading to portforwarding.

In my case, it is ADVANCED. Click it.

Another menu will appear. My router is simple in that it gives me the option straight away, look for a menu called PORT FOWARDING.

Port Forwarding

Ok, in my setup: The LAN IP is the IP Address of my WIRELESS ROUTER. By port forwarding 7915 from the internet to 192.168.0.100, it opens a portal to the router. To port forward at this stage is simple.

1) User button -> NEW

2) RULE NAME: For me, YSF
Protocol: TCP (for me, may be different for you)
PORT START: 7915
PORT END: 7915
PORT MAP: 7915

3) Apply, then Cancel.
4) YSF2 will appear in the available rules list.

5) Click on it, then the ADD Button.
6) It will now appear in the applied rules list. This means that the port 7915 is open to the internet, directing traffic to address 192.168.0.100.

7) SAVE/RESTART MENU then SAVE ALL

Close the Modem menu.

Now that the port is open, I have to let it through to the wireless router before onto my computer.
Now I will open the Wireless router menu.

Wireless Router

For me to access the router the IP address in the browser is 192.168.0.1 (This will be different for every computer/network setup)

Fill in the username and password again

The main menu will appear.

Now have a look around for a menu with PORT FORWARDING, ADVANCED, VIRTUAL SERVER etc... For me, I go to ADVANCED again.

VIRTUAL SERVER

What we will now do is give the router permission to allow internet users to pass through the router onto the personal computer, YSF Server.

Fill in the details, for me:

ENABLED: Yes
PRIVATE IP: 192.168.0.10 (THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DETAIL! A private IP is the IP Address of your computer on a server. This is, however easy to find:
OPEN CMD CONSOLE

Type: ipconfig

Enter

A large amount of data may appear depending on your connections, etc.... What you want to find is the IPv4 Address: on this computer it is 192.168.0.99, my YSF Server computer is 192.168.0.10 hence the reason I put 10 in the PRIVATE IP box.)

Continuing...

PROTOCOL: TCP
PRIVATE PORT: 7915
PUBLIC PORT: 7915
SCHENDULE: Always.

Click Apply

Modem Firewall
What we will now do is allow the modem firewall to allow traffic form the port 7915 through the router. (This may not be important for your modem, again, your discretion)

Firewall – Fill in the details
ENABLED
NAME: YSF
ACTION: Allow
SOURCE: LAN – IP: 192.168.0.10 (Personal IP)
DESTINATION: WAN – IP:192.168.0.100 (Modem) END IP: My External IP Address.
PROTOCOL: TCP (remember from the modem menu?)
PORT RANGE: 7915
SCHEDULE: Always (Always working)

Once happy, click apply.

Computer Firewall
The last thing is to make sure you have allowed the program YSFLIGHT or the PORT 7915 through your personal, computer firewall. This was what stumped me last time. As there are so many different version of firewalls I can’t give exact instructions. Try using google to search for “open port in firewall” etc...

With that done, you should have now port forwarded the port, 7915. CONGRADULATIONS!

Don’t know how to check to see if it worked? Here are the steps.
1) Run the YSF Console Server
2) Choose map, run it.
3) When it finishes loading and says that the server is up, an IP should appear. This is what YOUhave to use to join the server, not YOURexternal IP.
4) With YSF Running, open http://www.canyouseeme.org. This is a port checking site, your external IP will appear in the Your IP: position.

5) Type the port 7915 into the box and hit check. As you hit check, see the console server window. It should load some information meaning that you have been pinged. This means that you have correctly forwarded the port 7915 and people will be able to join your server.

What happens if the message comes back with an error?

1) Is your firewall letting the program through?
2) Did you forward 7915 correctly? Visit http://www.portforward.com and select your router from the list, it may have information about how to forward port specifically for tht modem.
3) Is the YSF server running? It won’t appear otherwise.
4) Is YSF running on port 7915?

More Information:
http://www.google.com - Google is your friend, use it to see if anyone else is having similar issues to you.
http://www.portforward.com - Excellent information on almost every modem/router including details on how to portforward.
http://www.canyouseeme.org - Great port checker.
http://www.dyndns.org - Create a free account. Allows you to create a new IP Address (eg: olympusfs.dyndns.org, cvw171.dyndns.org etc...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOAsV4DD0w - Great Youtube tutorial created by Omnipresent, shows step-by-step details.
Always remember to check your products website, more than often they will have dedicated FAQ's and tutorials for your particular modem. (Google it)
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Re: How to create a YSF Server, step by step guide.

Post by Eric »

Great tutorial. Stickied.
I make this website.
Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Post by Fariiniq »

I'd also like to add if you don't mind, that using a bridged connection also works. That's what I have for my server. One-click from router settings. (Not all routers)
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Added another link, a youtube tutorial by Omnipresent about how to forward ports and configure your firewall. This may help people where my tutorial doesn't.

Check out the 'More Information' heading in my first post.
NoFear526

Post by NoFear526 »

Sorry to reply to old post. I just need help. i cant connect to my router.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Perfectly ok to reply to a dead topic like this. Try google-ing your router model, often you will find that there are tutorials that show your router IP.

Or,

CMD console, type in ipconfig and your router IP will be shown under DEFAULT GATEWAY. Then enter this number into the web browser.

Mine is 192.168.0.1
NoFear526

Post by NoFear526 »

Thanks. Right now, i feel lazy to create server.
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Post by Maroon 5 »

How do you create a server on servegame.com?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I wish to note something:

In MR's red outlined IPCONFIG example above, that is the computers IP address, below that is default gateway, the router address.

Your network is typically:

PC -> Router -> ISP -> Innernets.

ISP forwards all the ports to you automatically via NAT. but the router does not, and this is why we need to tell the router where to send each port to. (A la port forwarding)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but before you begin the process of portforwarding, make sure you have set up a static ip address. That way the correct ports are opened on the correct computers. This really confused me at first, but this tutorial was very helpful.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

fanjet wrote:How do you create a server on servegame.com?
Exactly the same way. All sites such as dyndns.org, serve game.com etc do is forward the client to your IP.

When you create an account on those sites, you put your IP 'behind' the forwarding URL.

Example: I went to dyndns.org and set up an account.

I chose the name 42south.dyndns.org and set it up to 'cover' my actual IP: 58.6.128.219.

So instead of typing in 58.6.128.129, which is dynamic and can change. You can simply join 42S through 42south.dyndns.org - if my IP changes, I simply update the dyndns settings.
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 »

Thanks. But what if I dont have a rputer and only a DSL modem from my ISP, Verizon?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

fanjet wrote:Thanks. But what if I dont have a rputer and only a DSL modem from my ISP, Verizon?
Forward 7915 through your firewall and modem.
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 »

Isn't it port 7914? I thought 7915 was for YSPS.
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix »

Im no expert, but I think you can choose

orthodox arrangement: 7915 normal, 7914 YSPs
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

YSPS, like ORB, is a proxy server system.

To make a YSF server, forward 7915. (any port will do, but by default it's 7915)

To use YSPS/ORB, change the server IP address to 7914. YSPS/ORB direct traffic from 7915, through the proxy system and onto the YSF server on 7914.

And that's, that. :)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

That was poorly worded MR. let me re-iterate :P

All YSFlight clients tend to operate on 7915 by default, so a default client and sever would talk on 7915.

however, proxy servers need to take over, so the client and proxy will have to talk on 7915 (to avoid clients needing to change their ports all the time)

because the proxy runs on 7915, you need to chose a different port for ysf server, which is usually 7914, as a standard practice.

thing of YSPS or ORB as a server AND a client. ysf clients connect to it's server side, but it's client side connects to the YSF server.

Client (7915) -> internet -> (7915) Proxy -> Proxy program which processes everything-> Proxy (7914) -> your own computer -> (7914) YSF Server

a good analagy, is plugging your guitar lead into your guitar, then running it through your effects processor and then to the amp, rather then straight to the amp.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Made sense in my head (:S)
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

how the heck do you figure out the username and password for a Netgear WGR614v10?
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

A simple Google search shows that the default username is "admin" and the default password is "password"
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131