HUD modification

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
aolivier747
Favorite Aircraft: 747

HUD modification

Post by aolivier747 »

Hello,
I have searched everywhere online but I couldn't find an answer. So here I am...

I play YsFlight offline for fun and recently started editing .DAT files (among others) to spice things up a little. Then, I wondered if it was possible to modify the appearance of the HUD.

Is it possible to, say, make it so the HUD contains only a crosshair? If yes, how?

In other words, where is the file for the HUD?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: HUD modification

Post by decaff_42 »

So there is the Simple and Complex HUD options in YSFlight, that you can toggle between when activated. Conversely you have Instrument Panels with steam-gauge style instruments.If you wanted to go no HUD, you would likely have to do some combination of instrument panels and turning the HUD OFF.

As for modifying the HUD, you only have the two options. To my knowledge there is no way to edit what is seen (aside from TAS or CAS) in the HUD
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Another option you might consider, is have a static crosshair on the aircraft itself as part of the aircraft model.

My own Black Dragon F/A-18's have a blank cockpit model file, and a blank instrument panel (.ISP?) file referenced in the DAT file, and "use instrument panel" set to TRUE. This way, when you start flight, you're greeted with an empty cockpit without any instruments or hud. To turn the hud on, you just set the ingame option "always show hud" to true using the CTRL key menu. You could do a similar thing, but just have the crosshair as part of the model file if that's what you are after. Some things on the hud you could even animate - I have an animation panel for the burners, stabs and slats etc. on the aforementioned model in the cockpit.

In short - the hud is hard coded in the game, but you can be creative and partially build your own.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
aolivier747

Post by aolivier747 »

Thank you!
I used an .ist file to create a custom crosshair. I "smushed" two rectangular instruments so that they look like lines. Problem solved!
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Interesting solution for the cross-hairs. Would you mind posting the .ist file here? :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

IQ 200 response to the problem right there, never even considered doing that.

Care to share a screenshot of that? I'm quite curious now.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
aolivier747

Post by aolivier747 »

I used fuel and flap in this case. It only works with rectangular instruments. The position can be changed by changing the coordinates (x1, y1, x2, y2)
Capture d’écran 2019-02-21 à 15.36.24.png
Capture d’écran 2019-02-21 à 15.36.24.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 9824 times
Capture d’écran 2019-02-21 à 15.36.46.png
Capture d’écran 2019-02-21 à 15.36.46.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 9824 times
Also, sorry for the late response, I was busy doing other things
ysmajor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Curtiss P-40B Warhawk

Post by ysmajor »

If you add a 'turret' you get a crosshairs too.

AND, check out the crosshairs on my P-40B. If you click F1 you go to the ex-camera position lined up with the crosshairs. Click 'reserve thrust' button when firing to see the muzzle flash for extra kick.