How do I create a moving head animation?

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
Halliverd 1 1
Favorite Aircraft: .

How do I create a moving head animation?

Post by Halliverd 1 1 »

Hey guys, just wondering, how do I create the moving head animation on the pilot in ys flight

I have seen it in some planes before so I know its possible.
RaptorRex35279
Favorite Aircraft: 747

Re: How do I create a moving head animation?

Post by RaptorRex35279 »

hmmm, sometimes on certain aircraft like 737s, you can use arrow keys to move the heads, though they would have to be detailed aircraft. I can't remember the pack name, but I had an air europa livery and an ANA livery where this worked.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

If you already know how to use blender and make animations then you could either set the head with a rudder animation, gun turret or maybe even set it so it moves with aileron and elevator.

If you have never worked in blender it's time to get some snacks and watch/read all of decaffs animation tutorials

https://sites.google.com/site/ysdecaff/ ... -tutorials
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

In terms of how the actual animation is done, any flight-control surface animation can be used in order to get the left/right/straight ahead motion. In my F-35s, for example, I use the rudder for left right, and the elevator for head tilted up or down.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Everyone has hinted at it, but my 2c:

You need to set a child/parent combo.

Have an empty srf (null.srf) as assigned to elevator. Have a child srf (Head.srf) assigned as a rudder within that.

Now the elevator CLA will move the head up and down, but the rudder will move it left and right. Any combination of inputs can make it look in any direction. So elevator up, and rudder left will make the head look up and to the left.

Finally: Reverse engineer. If you've seen another model do something, have a look at how it works in the appropriate tools (Blender). You'll be amazed at how much you can learn this way. I reverse engineered YSFlight Netcode for years and the results have been telling. I built off the work of those before me (VincentWeb/Eric). You don't have to reinvent the wheel to understand how it works and make a better wheel - that's true for all facets of life.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
YSG2000
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Mirage 2000

Post by YSG2000 »

After some work I managed to get this working properly, so I am documenting the steps in case anyone wants to know. Movement from side to side on aileron activation only for the moment.

The key is to create the 3D the pilot model and make sure the helmet is centred around the origin of the 3D editor you are using, import into Blender and move it to correct position in Blender itself.

Open in DNMVIEWER, Highlight the helmet object, click and drag to make it a child object, link to aileron and add STAS.

See attached images.
Attachments
YSFlightHelmetmove1.png
YSFlightHelmetMove2.png
YSFlightHelmetMove3.png