[LINUX][TUTORIAL] Converting paths and LST files to be Unix File System Compatible

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

[LINUX][TUTORIAL] Converting paths and LST files to be Unix File System Compatible

Post by Welshy »

A well known issue in YSFlight is that certain addons don't have the same case used between LST files and the path of the individual SRFs, DNMs, etc. so I've compiled two ways to work around this.

The first, simplest way is to run YSFlight from a non-Unix file system such as VFAT, ExFAT, FAT32, or NTFS. These file systems are not case-sensitive and although some are case-preserving they do not require the addons for YSFlight to have the correct case usage as Ext* (and similar) file systems do.

If this however isn't an option for you there is a work around.

The first thing to do is copy the entire text from the LST file into this converter here. This will automatically convert the text to completely lowercase. Then simply copy and paste it back into the LST, overwriting everything.

The second step is simply to follow the directions outlined on this page to convert the directory tree and file names to all lowercase. Then you *should* be able to run YS without case errors being thrown up for addons.

PLEASE NOTE: Any links in DAT or DNM files do have to be changed manually and hopefully a way of doing so automatically will become available in due course
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: [LINUX][TUTORIAL] Converting paths and LST files to be Unix File System Compatible

Post by decaff_42 »

I've made a python script that will process the all the files, folders and paths in lst, dat and dnm files. You will need Python 3.

(1) Place the addon_to_linux.py file in your ysflight directory
(2) Install addon files into the required places.
(3) Run addon_to_linux.py.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database