Installing

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
davey110
Favorite Aircraft: C172

Installing

Post by davey110 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 pm

When I try to unzip the files, it seems to be working, then says "unable to create directory...". I have tried extracting to Program Files and to Program Files/YSFlight but always the same error. I am using Windows 10.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: Installing

Post by decaff_42 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:29 pm

I assume you mean the YSFlight installation, rather than any particular addon, correct? If so, which version YSFlight are you trying to install? Are you an admin on the computer? Try to see if you can copy any old file into the directories you mention.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

davey110
Favorite Aircraft: C172

Post by davey110 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 pm

I downloaded the zip file for Windows (It doesn't say what version of YSFlight - it's presumably the latest version). When I try to extract the files, it gives the error "Cannot create C:/Program Files/YSFlight/plugin/sndYsflight32.dll".

Does the zip file have to be in a certain directory? Does it create the YSFlight folder itself or should I create it first? I have tried both. (I try to extract to Program Files/YSFlight.)

Then, if I ever do get the files extracted, which file is the Install file .exe? There are several .exe files and I have no clue what each one is for.

Do I have to be logged on as Administrator? Windows should ask for my Admin password, then do whatever.

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: CH-136 Kiowa, Yak-130 Mitten

Post by waspe414 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:15 am

The 2018 version doesn't use an installer. Just extract and run.
There are four .exes in the folder: _gl1, _gl2, and _d3d9 are different visual renderers, which may perform differently depending on your hardware, and _nownd is a render-free server console. If the error is just in the sound dll you should be totally fine aside from silence. I can PM you the .dll on its own if needed.

2018 has a performance hit for little improvement compared to older versions. I recommend version 20150425 here: https://ysflight.org/download/
For this one, just extract and run setup.exe.

The program creates its own folder for configs and stuff in User/Documents/YSFLIGHT.COM/YSFLIGHT, but the location of the actual install (the folder with the .exes) doesn't matter.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green