Making YSflight Videos.

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Making YSflight Videos.

Post by Gunny »

Could someone give me some guidance as to what software is best for recording flights? I have not made a video for so long that all of my stuff is obsolete in Windows 10. But Windows 10 does have a good video editing software included.
Just need an up to date recording software to convert to a video format it can read since .wmf[I have been told.]is no longer supported.
Any insight would be appreciated ;)
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: Making YSflight Videos.

Post by Neocon »

For recording, I suggest OBS. It's pretty much the standard for professional Youtubers and streamers, and it is 100% free. Since it is so popular, there are plenty of tutorials for how to set it up and use it, and it is pretty easy in my experience. When I record, I have it set to create the file in .MKV format because I saw a Youtuber say it was the best for raw video recording that would be processed through an editor, but you can also save directly as an MP4 format to upload to Youtube.

For editing, I've been using a free program called VSDC. I haven't found anything as easy as the old Windows movie maker. I know it exports to WMV and SWF formats, although I tend to use MP4, since that is the recommended format for Youtube. You can "Cut and Split" your video and arrange different clips to make your video, but it is pretty complicated compared to the old Windows Movie Maker. It works and I figured it out well enough to not be interested to look for something else.

What's really interesting is that when I search for Windows Movie Maker, it takes me to the Microsoft Store, but I don't think the thing they are listing is not the real thing. You have to be careful with the Microsoft Store. ;)
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Your right Pat. The video editor they have is not WMM & neither is the screen capture they have. I looked up the newest version of Bandoo it is simple and effective and I think I will go with that in the paid version, No logo or time restrictions if I pay for it. As for the editor I will look into VSDC. Thanks for your advice Pat.
Image[/align=centre]
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

I use Fraps to record all of my videos. It hasn't been updated in a long while, but it's still very useful for people with crap computers, for one main reason: it doesn't do much real-time compression at all, so it has less of an impact on your framerate while recording. The tradeoff for this, of course, is that the video files it outputs are absolutely massive compared to other recorders - right now, I have two 4-minute YS clips that are almost 4 gigs in size. So with that in mind, if you wanna use Fraps, I'd advise getting a separate video encoder like Handbrake to compress and cut the file size of the videos down.

As for editing, until July, I exclusively used Windows Movie Maker 6 (the Vista remake of XP's WMM 2.6). It's pretty self-explanatory to use, but that's obviously in exchange for it being pretty limited in what editing it lets you do. I've moved up to Sony Vegas 13 since July, which is much more advanced, but still not too hard to learn to use.

(An example of the jump in action: this video was made with WMM 6 in May, while this one was put together with Vegas 13 in October.)

Fraps and Vegas 13 are both payware though, so unless you're looking to make something really professional, they're probably not necessary. They're just the tools I use as a guy who's been making YS vids for a few years.

(EDIT 3/18/2021: Forget Vegas 13. Vegas 16 is even better.)
Last edited by HawkbitAlpha on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

It looks like VSDC also has a screen recording program, but I've never tried it and I'm not sure if it does watermarks or not.

I've also never tired OBS with integrated graphics, which I assume your new machine does not have a graphics card.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I misspoke myself when I stated Bandoo, what I meant to say was Bandicam. The paid version has not time limit or stamp. Also it converts many different file types for processing to a editor. Intell graphics built in Pat. But it seems to handle my requirements very nicely. 3.30 Gz is more than enough power to drive YSflights graphic requirements. And since I have no intentions of using Microsofts newest flight sim it suits my needs very nicely. Thank you my friends for offering your insights, it is greatly appreciated. BTW I flew in my Kodiak scenery yesterday with one of Decaffs most detailed aircraft and was getting from 55-65 FPS with very little shacking in exterior views.
Image[/align=centre]
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

On mac, so not necessarily what Gunny is looking for, but I use Screenflow. Used it for all my tutorial videos and YSF videos. Pretty good editor built in to a screen capture. A lot of similarities with Camtasia Studio which has a mac and Windows version.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 am On mac
As for macOS/Mac OSX (and Linux), I may recommend to use 'ffscreencast' tool (a shell wrapper around FFmpeg): And as for post editing recorded video files try to use Olive video editor (for macOS/Linux/Windows):

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)