Scenery with...Google Maps??

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
AccettoreQ
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing

Scenery with...Google Maps??

Post by AccettoreQ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:27 pm

So, ok, I'm a F******G idiot, I play since only 3 months at ysfligh, I don't know nothing about modding ecc...But, I wanna ask a question at the "big" of this forum: is possible to create scenery with the images taken from Google Maps or similar on the ground? And use the model that are used now.
I think that could be a good improvement.

Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Re: Scenery with...Google Maps??

Post by Copperhead » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Well uh, hi? Anyway, I think a lad named Barracuz did something along these lines.

^The Murican^

"Well boys, I reckon this is it...nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies." - Major Kong

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 pm

It is possible to apply textures to elevation grids and rectangulars. The issue with taking an image out of Google and putting it in a map is that I think Google copyrights their images. There are some public domain sources of aerial images, though.

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Yes I did some experimenting but its a pain if your trying to do large sceneries. Google does copyright their images so you will have to wither live with the logos, buy the pro version ( they were offering free pro versions a couple months ago), edit out the logo but highly unadvisable (bots are watching) or search your local envirmonetal agency /universities data bank for high res satellite images. But then you have to screencap the area in sections as precisley as possible, import them, scale and align them in the scenery editor.

But still until Ysflight can handle many more ground objects (trees, buildings) having a textured map gets old fast.
Check this

Even Having just the airport area textured, imo itll stick out like a sore thumb.

EDit: Also the screencaps are using google pro with the "highest resolution" images available.

One thing i have not tried is asking my boss if he has any digital aerial photos of the airport availble...
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.