A few YSFlight questions...

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
SkyEye MCCIX
Favorite Aircraft: DC-3, B757, and F-4E

A few YSFlight questions...

Post by SkyEye MCCIX » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

I have a few questions, and I thought it would be impractical posting them in their own topics, so I'll ask them here:

Does thrust vectoring make a difference? I recently downloaded an X-31, and I noticed it was very agile. It might be the thrust vectoring playing a part, right? Or is it just programmed to be that agile?

Can I use SketchUp 2015 to make addons? I use SketchUp as my main 3D modelling program, and I have already made many planes using it. I really want to try and make addons myself, so how can I?

Is it considered unfair or "nooby" to use an addon aircraft in multiplayer (not the overpowered addons, though.)?

Are there any active servers still up today? What' the IP address of one?
Someone explain to me why the full double-deck 747 doesn't exist yet...

Or better yet, the Boeirbus A380-747-8. Y they no make it yet?

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: A few YSFlight questions...

Post by decaff_42 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:43 am

I can answer a few of these questions.
Can I use SketchUp 2015 to make addons? I use SketchUp as my main 3D modelling program, and I have already made many planes using it. I really want to try and make addons myself, so how can I?
Short answer...sort of. People have done it with Google Sketchup, but the only way you can get them into YSFlight is to prepare the model in Blender. I have a few videos showing how to get started on this. It is important to know that textures and materials are not transferable to YSFlight. Only the actual mesh of the airplane and the color assigned to each face will be transferred.

You can find these videos on my website. (click the link by my avatar and go to the tutorials section and look under video tutorials for Sketchup to Blender/YSFlight videos)
Is it considered unfair or "nooby" to use an addon aircraft in multiplayer (not the overpowered addons, though.)?
Not at all! Feel free to use any addons the server has loaded.
Are there any active servers still up today? What' the IP address of one?
You can find server information by clicking "Server List" at the very top of the YSFHQ screen just under the logo. Typically the number of players online is never accurate, though, so you will have to log in to find out. I personally would recommend posting in the chat on the forum homepage that you are flying on a server, just to let everyone know
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: A few YSFlight questions...

Post by NightRaven » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 pm

I agree with decaff on most answers, except 1.
decaff_42 wrote:You can find server information by clicking "Server List" at the very top of the YSFHQ screen just under the logo. Typically the number of players online is never accurate, though, so you will have to log in to find out. I personally would recommend posting in the chat on the forum homepage that you are flying on a server, just to let everyone know
The serverlist itself works fine, but rather because of the widespread usage of OpenYS, it becomes inaccurate. This is because Flake has actively blocked the serverlist bot on his builds, which I think leads to the serverlist thinking that the servers are empty. The serverlist works perfectly well with stock consoles.
SkyEye MCCIX wrote:Is it considered unfair or "nooby" to use an addon aircraft in multiplayer (not the overpowered addons, though.)?
Though usage of overpowered addons are generally frowned upon, most (I'm talking over 90%) flights on online servers are with addons. This is because they add variety that stock aircraft do not possess.
SkyEye MCCIX wrote:Does thrust vectoring make a difference? I recently downloaded an X-31, and I noticed it was very agile. It might be the thrust vectoring playing a part, right? Or is it just programmed to be that agile?
It is programmed to be that agile. What you see as the aircraft model while in flight is merely a visual model, providing aesthetics. The performance of the aircraft is solely dictated by the .dat of the aircraft, allowing any aircraft to perform as the creator wishes. This can be exploited to become overpowered (not recommended).