OP-ED

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

OP-ED

Post by Gunny »

Let me state first that I love this place and it's followers.Let me also state that my opinions are strictly my own and not based on spite but true concern for its future.After a long absents from YSFHQ I returned to find it exactly as I had left it stagnating (With a few exceptions.) in its past glory.The add-on section is lacking in any new ideas.Mostly repaints of long ago created airliners and military aircraft.The driving force and inspiration for YSflight and YSFHQ was always its ability to create its own creative environment.In my opinion, in general, that has been lost.If I were not heavily emotionally invested here I would probably leave due to overwhelming boredom.So I can just imagine what people getting here new must think after being here for a while.We should all be concerned with that thought.Creativity and creative diversity in add-ons.There are more airplanes in this world and others than military and heavy's people.There is a whole market out there that would truly enjoy flying light and private aircraft in YS and not have to pay the ridiculous prices of the commercially available flight sims or hardware to fly them or the time required to actually learn to fly them.I understand that GAC has many light aircraft.But many are turned off by their lack of detail and moving parts and I admit I am one of them.Give people more aircraft choices than Military or the airlines to fly on YS servers.(With the exception of YS civil aviation server of course ;) )
I am sorry if some take exception to my post.But this has been bothering me for quite some time.
With fondest regard Gunny.
Image[/align=centre]
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: OP-ED

Post by u2fly »

Agree in some moments:
1) General Aviation - its really needed for YSFlight, and I'm working on some aircrafts & sceneries specially for GA.
2) Stagnating - its problem of YSFlight development process, that depend only from one man, and not follow community future requests. But, hey, did you sew latest YSFlight 20170517 test version? Its look cool, and look like Soji back to active development of it.
3) No new add-ons - I must say, that its problem of current world situation (read news - all around in the world gone wild), so many of users not has too much time for add-on's development. But, I think, soon we all could back to active development. Also, we got few new amazing birds - decaff's F-35 pack! ;-)

Problem of YSFHQ currently is, that we need more active users, so all current users must try do some marketing for YSFlight somewhere on other web sites. Currently on YSFHQ we are like inside nutt shell.

We need post more info about YSFlight on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and all other popular web resources, but in same time we need post in interesting manner with good looking media, with more fun. This is my point of view.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I'm thinking maybe we should make a "YSFHQ GA club. There could be a single pack and everyone makes their own GA aircraft paint and submits it and HQ staff will add it to the pack. All aircraft would be limited to prop or turboprop with seating for 15 or fewer including crew. We could have fly-ins or other events just for GA club flights.

If we get more people interested in smaller aircraft, maybe we will get more smaller aircraft models. :)
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

I'll take Pat's idea and raise it. Gunny, do you remember back in YSPilots the addon contests that went on? We got a lot of new, unique aircraft that way, both civi and military. We should organize something like that again.

I will say this though, server activity has never been better over the past 2 or 3 years.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

You need to start a fire and keep it lit.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
dbd000
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: So long as it isn't fictional, I like it

Post by dbd000 »

Patrick31337 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:18 am I'm thinking maybe we should make a "YSFHQ GA club. There could be a single pack and everyone makes their own GA aircraft paint and submits it and HQ staff will add it to the pack. All aircraft would be limited to prop or turboprop with seating for 15 or fewer including crew. We could have fly-ins or other events just for GA club flights.

If we get more people interested in smaller aircraft, maybe we will get more smaller aircraft models. :)
Couldn't agree more! (Btw Pat, feel free to release the N337NC repaint I sent you earlier)
Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

It takes a lot of hot air to fan the flames of change around here.Fortunately, there is no shortage here :D
Barracuz wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 am You need to start a fire and keep it lit.
Image[/align=centre]
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Gunny wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am It takes a lot of hot air to fan the flames of change around here.Fortunately, there is no shortage here :D
Barracuz wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 am You need to start a fire and keep it lit.
ay. We have plenty of addons. IMO more addons wont solve the problem. *For years addons have been the communitys sole focus and people are getting bored. We have to get the whole community (or whole GA community) invovled and busy with something.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Barracuz wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:56 am
Gunny wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am It takes a lot of hot air to fan the flames of change around here.Fortunately, there is no shortage here :D
ay. We have plenty of addons. IMO more addons wont solve the problem. *For years addons have been the communitys sole focus and people are getting bored. We have to get the whole community (or whole GA community) invovled and busy with something.
Mass Beech rally anyone?
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

When I finish the An-2-100, I'm going to start an overhaul of the GAC Baron 58.

My server will host a GA-aircraft-only event this summer. We have enough models to do that right now.
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Patrick31337 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:26 am When I finish the An-2-100, I'm going to start an overhaul of the GAC Baron 58.

My server will host a GA-aircraft-only event this summer. We have enough models to do that right now.
Sounds great, I'll wind up trying my hand at a Staggerwing fanboy tiiiiiiiiiiime
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

I'm not surprised that your bringing this to light, Gunny, and frankly it's understandable. Since time immemorial GA has been left behind. I haven't seen a high quality GA aircraft in so long.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.