[Linux]Error with PMNV North Caribbean ground obj.

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
acf492
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: 737

[Linux]Error with PMNV North Caribbean ground obj.

Post by acf492 »

Hi,

I'm using the Linux version of YSFlight. After adding the PMNV North Caribbean map, I can launch the game, but when I join a server hosting the map, such as YSCAS, I get an error about /user/neocon/ground/treeforest.dnm.

I have dug into all the files related to this particular object, and while I did find a few occurrences of an uppercase/lowercase mismatch, this one error will NOT go away after fixing them.

I'm usually able to fix case errors with mods, so this is a particularly challenging problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I did a quick check to see if the problem was in another part of the map mod, and I can confirm no error loading after I, um, switched the DNM file...

I'm back.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Re: [Linux]Error with PMNV North Caribbean ground obj.

Post by Turbofan »

Can you tell us exactly what error you're getting? Is it the "Cannot load..." error? I have that exact same treeforest.dnm file also but I have a few others, like treeforest1.dnm etc. From the looks of it you might not have the treeforest.srf file, check to see if you have that. If not, you might need to update the ground pack.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Normally I would have expected u2fly to warn me about such problems. I'll look into it. I thought I had Linux-proofed that pack. :?
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

if you are using the later versions of linux ysflight such as those after 2015, you're out of luck. if I remember correctly, those builds refuse to load dnms that have their constituent srfs outside of the dnm file ie. exploded dnms which happens to be pat's style of making ground objects. this also affects aircraft, so u might not be able to load utachy's aircraft such as the mrj and tristar as well.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

NightRaven wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am those builds refuse to load dnms that have their constituent srfs outside of the dnm file ie. exploded dnms which happens to be pat's style of making ground objects.
I thought I had fixed those, though. Maybe I didn't?
acf492
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acf492 »

NightRaven wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am if you are using the later versions of linux ysflight such as those after 2015, you're out of luck. if I remember correctly, those builds refuse to load dnms that have their constituent srfs outside of the dnm file ie. exploded dnms which happens to be pat's style of making ground objects. this also affects aircraft, so u might not be able to load utachy's aircraft such as the mrj and tristar as well.
That could be the cause of the problem, but should it not happen with the later Windows and Mac OS versions of YSFlight as well?

Turbofan wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 pm Can you tell us exactly what error you're getting? Is it the "Cannot load..." error? I have that exact same treeforest.dnm file also but I have a few others, like treeforest1.dnm etc. From the looks of it you might not have the treeforest.srf file, check to see if you have that. If not, you might need to update the ground pack.
I do have treeforest.srf as listed below:

Code: Select all

... ~/software/ysflight/user/neocon/ground $ du -b treeforest*
154	treeforest1.dat
393811	treeforest1.srf
11362	treeforest2cl.srf
154	treeforest2.dat
17885	treeforest2.srf
153	treeforest.dat
2981	treeforest.dnm
504216	treeforest.srf
I have provided a screenshot of the error message.

I am using the latest YSFlight edition, as that was the logical and easiest thing to do after not using YSFlight for years and not having quick local access to an older version at the present moment.

Also, might be worth noting that the error dialog appears exactly 10 times, I assume that is the number of instances of the particular entity that causes this error, wherever they are.

(Due to conflicting/outdated version codes in the various included files and readmes, I'm not sure what the version datecode is for my YSFlight version, but the zip file 'YsflightForLinux.zip' contains files with datestamps of 8-May-2015. The same zip extracted and running as my showcase server is listed as 20150425 by the YSFHQ server list.)

ys_error_neocon_treeforest_dnm.png
ys_error_neocon_treeforest_dnm.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 9179 times
The grouping called "PMNETREEFOREST" is not visible, but individual trees appear OK.

In case it matters, here's my personal record of case changes made to my copies of the mod files during troubleshooting:

Code: Select all

user/neocon/ground/treeforest.dat: "PMNETREEforest" - corrected to all uppercase.
tree10m.dat: "PMNETREE10m" - not changed, I couldn't find whether other files referred to these trees by upper or mixed case.
tree25m.dat: "PMNETREE25m" - unchanged
tree50m.dat: "PMNETREE50m" - unchanged
tree100m.dat: "PMNETREE100m" - unchanged

treepalm30m.dat: "IDENTIFY PMNETREE_Palm30m" - corrected to uppercase

tree10m.srf, tree25m.srf starts with "Surf" - corrected to uppercase "SURF"

I really don't know. Maybe the real problem is my inability to see the forest for the trees?
Yes, I know my puns are deadly.
I'm back.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

If that says "PMNE", that would be the problem. It should be "PMNV". I'll check it tonight.
acf492
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acf492 »

Neocon wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:30 pmIf that says "PMNE", that would be the problem. It should be "PMNV". I'll check it tonight.
The PMNE spelling occurs in a lot of the files I examined, I don't think that is a source of errors. If it isn't the desired spelling, at least it is consistent in the places I've seen it.
I'm back.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Yep, it's consistent. The problem seems to be that at some point I must have reverted to the older, non-Linux .dnm files.
acf492
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acf492 »

Do you mean to say that the Linux version of YSflight has a different compatibility with .dnm files as its Windows or Mac OS counterparts?
I'm back.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Yes he does.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!