Decaff's Video Tutorials

Topics about .dat, .srf, .dnm, .ist, Blender, Gepoly, etc.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: Decaff's Video Tutorials

Post by decaff_42 »

Just found this blender hot-key (keyboard shortcut) guide. This is pretty all-inclusive, but browse thru here for some interesting options.

http://download.blender.org/documentati ... erence.pdf
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

New Videos coming out soon!

I just filmed about 10 Scenery Editor Videos, which will be edited over the next few weeks, and I'm putting the final touches on the latest Scratch Modeling Tutorial.

We also have a new series of Scenery Editor Map Reviews, where a map is opened up in Scenery Editor and its featurs are highlighted and broken down so that new map makers can learn the tricks and techniques of the great map makers. :D
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Could you make a tutorial about how to make animations and transparencies?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

transparencies!!! how could I forget such a thing? I'll get on that. With my work load for the next few weeks, you probably won't see anything for a month at the soonest.

as for animaitions, I still haven't gotten them to reliably work from scratch, so I just don't know.

Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

just got back from the North American Championship sailing regatta for my type of sail boat. (I got second)

In celebration, I posted another video, and have a few more in various stages of planning, development and production.

I have a couple of video ideas for scratch modeling tutorials, but I would like to hear your suggestions. (transparencies is coming out in a couple weeks so don'e fear!)

Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Well, i guess it's been a while since I posted an update.

School has come, and free time simply evaporates as soon as you think it appears, but I'm planning on doing a tutorials series showing you how to take a google sketchup model and bring it into blender, and get it ready for animation!

Should be fun, as this series should result in a model to be released. :D

They will not come out with any regularity, I imagine, but I should be able to plod along and get them done eventually.

Are there any requests for tutorials regarding blender?

Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Got the first three sketchup Series videos recorded. Time to begin editing them and getting them finalized. It took forever to record them because I kept forgetting to plug in my microphone, and select it as a recording device, but I got so much practice with what I was saying that I think the videos turned out well in the end.

I currently plan on releaseing videos at a rate of 1 per week or so, for the next month+ but we will see how that goes.

Submit Addon To Database
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

A bit late, but...
decaff_42 wrote:Are there any requests for tutorials regarding blender?
Could you make a tutorial about using the mirror function, or how to make the body as symmetrical as possible?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

NightRaven wrote:Could you make a tutorial about using the mirror function, or how to make the body as symmetrical as possible?
Yes I can. I think I can have it up in about 2 weeks at the latest probably more like a week from wednesday. I'll bump some other tutorials back a bit down the schedule to fit it in sooner for you.

At this point I have preped what I want to say, and I just need to record it. (don't have my good mic with me at the moment)

Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Well, I hope the mirror tutorial is helpful...Let's look forward to the next few weeks.

The next video will be useful for the Sketchup to YSFlight series I have half completed. 3 videos made and queued up on YouTube, scheduled to come out in November on a weekly basis. Now that I have my pop shield back, I should be able to make the next couple in the next few weeks.

I have to take the GREs first though...ugh.

I think this method that I'm discovering and developing to take sketchup models will help new modders get into model making very quickly and ease them into the specifics. (probably re-creating the wheel, but hey I played around with it and developed this myself!)

My 100th Youtube video is approaching and I'm toying with the idea of doing a behind-the-scenes style video showing you how I go about making the videos... I have some fun ideas which should prove interesting.

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to know about how I make these videos.

As always, I take requests and will do my best to fit them into the schedule of recording and editing and posting.
Currently we have one on the deck.
-Navigational Lights

Still playing around with some things about this and doing some research into what other people have created.

Submit Addon To Database
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Well I had some time this past weekend and got something like 6 or 8 Scenery Editor videos recorded. These will trickle out over the next few months as I edit them.

After the next Sketchup to YSF video that series will go on break and I'll post a few videos that ppl need help with/ I just found really interesting and wanted to share.

Then it will pick back up with the sketchup videos as We complete the model. After that I might continue making videos about the animation process, but I'm not sure yet. There are some tricks I would like to share, so perhaps at least one video about that which is specific to the Sketchup-to-YSF series.

After that I will probably continue the Mirage F-1 project to talk about cockpits and afterburners and landing gear, sprinkling the Scenery Editor videos in when I get stuck modeling something.

I have a few more ideas for Scenery Editor videos that will be more tutorials rather than reviews, so those will be coming out next year.

The nav-lights are coming along and I'm currently reverse engineering some models to show you what is going on. The more I look at them, the seemingly simpler they start appearing, but it's a tricky bit to get them working (experience talking here).

-- Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:07 pm --

Okay, so I've got the second Reference Images video up for scenery editor. I plan on making a few more paint script videos and I have a request/hey how do we do something like this filmed, I need to go in and edit it.

The Mirage F-1 project was temp shelved as I picked the 727 back up (You will see it next week!) Now that I've run into a stumbling block in that guy with the flaps (Something that will need a bunch of research) I'll head back over to the F-1 and continue filming and editing the videos for that. Hopefully when Winter break comes I can get a bunch of videos made and edited so that Spring Semester starts out with little demand for video making.

IF YOU HAVE ANY REQUESTS PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME KNOW SO I CAN PLAN THEM!!!!

-- Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm --

Going to be taking a break for a few weeks to re-energize and work on scripting some new tutorials. I've pretty much scrapped the nav lights tutorial, and I think that I'm going to fold it into a lighting tutorial series.

I'll work on the planning and such, but I think it's mostly figuring a few final things out and then going for it. :D

-- Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:54 pm --

I've decided to start going back to the basics, and also pursue a tutorial series about afterburners. I'll be making some tool and feature tutorials in the next few weeks, and hopefully post them this spring.

-- Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm --

Videos are going to be slowing down this summer as I have a lot of other things to do and cannot get quality recording time very often.

Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Ah bummer oh well. I was looking forward to some videos on building aircraft from scratch...
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Bump

Can this be stickied?
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Err on the other hand, the whole page is full of stickied topics so it probably needs cleaning up
ZaurixAiprax
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D, F-5E, SU-35 and A-4AR

Post by ZaurixAiprax »

Thank you very much Decaff !!!! I'm starting to create my own models and I never understood how to paint them, besides the afterburners and the other animations. thank you very much sir!
.:[Special Armed Response Force]:.
◄ ZλURiX ► - Ex General Resource Leadder