Decaff's Garage

Personal work in progress topics go here
NajmiCreative
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-29N,SU-30 MKM

Re: Decaff's Garage

Post by NajmiCreative »

Dragon_Mech wrote:as for your 747-800, will you be doing a United Airlines livery like the one that is on your 767?
747-8 is already released...I guess you will make it on your own...
My official website
My Twitter NOTE:All my rework model are allowed for repaint and need to credit on publish..no need to PM me anymore
[align=center]for modifications on my mods,please PM me first,and credit me and original creator(if my work were rework)[/align]
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Working on the Norway F-35 with a Drag Chute. Not sure why the chute is coming thru as solid shading rather than smooth. I suspect it is because it is because of the YSFace Script Double Sided option enabled.

With the introduction of a real thrust reverse feature, I had to change the weapons bay to the weapon bay animation while removing the refueling door animation.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote:Working on the Norway F-35 with a Drag Chute. Not sure why the chute is coming thru as solid shading rather than smooth. I suspect it is because it is because of the YSFace Script Double Sided option enabled.

With the introduction of a real thrust reverse feature, I had to change the weapons bay to the weapon bay animation while removing the refueling door animation.
What plan you have? You will make F-35 pack soon or so?

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

u2fly wrote:
decaff_42 wrote:Working on the Norway F-35 with a Drag Chute. Not sure why the chute is coming thru as solid shading rather than smooth. I suspect it is because it is because of the YSFace Script Double Sided option enabled.

What plan you have? You will make F-35 pack soon or so?
He's been working on this pack for a long time - Decaff's been at it for god knows how long, mainly because he's a perfectionist, from what I've seen. Not to say that it's a bad thing, in terms of quality, It's great, however, time is a sacrificial lamb in that case.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
NajmiCreative
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-29N,SU-30 MKM

Post by NajmiCreative »

yup,that's the cause of it (like the one happened on your 787 cockpit windows before on test)
I guess it will solve and need to sacrificed with duplicate the mesh and flip the normals...
My official website
My Twitter NOTE:All my rework model are allowed for repaint and need to credit on publish..no need to PM me anymore
[align=center]for modifications on my mods,please PM me first,and credit me and original creator(if my work were rework)[/align]
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Sacrificing 400 vetices for the doubling of the drag chute, I've moved my sights to upgrading the Lift Fan Intake Door (LFI) animations.

I'd like to de-couple the thrust vectoring animation from the door position and instead replace it with the VGW animation. The issue is I do not see a satisfactory solution to this animation equation.

Therefore I'm hoping someone in the community can give me a hand with these animations. Here are the requirements:
(1) Lift Fan Intake Door (LFI) must move from and to full closed when the bomb bay animation is toggled.
(2) The Thrust Vector Animation should not be used
(3) The door should have two positions (50 deg & 80 deg) for slow and high speed STOVL operation.

This last part is where I'm running into issues. Ideally I'd like the door to act like a bomb bay door animation but change the final end position depending on the speed of the aircraft. With a simple arrangement I can get the opening sequence setup properly, but when the door is closed, the VGW animation holds the door open somewhat.

This may not be possible within the YSFlight constraints, but I'd like to get your ideas!
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote:(1) Lift Fan Intake Door (LFI) must move from and to full closed when the bomb bay animation is toggled.
(3) The door should have two positions (50 deg & 80 deg) for slow and high speed STOVL operation.

This last part is where I'm running into issues.
Its need only visual representation animation? If so, I maybe have an idea for you!
decaff_42 wrote:This may not be possible within the YSFlight constraints, but I'd like to get your ideas!
"- What is YSFlight?
- YSFlight is the only free flight simulator where anything is possible."
(c) YSFHQ

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

decaff_42 wrote:Sacrificing 400 vetices for the doubling of the drag chute, I've moved my sights to upgrading the Lift Fan Intake Door (LFI) animations.

I'd like to de-couple the thrust vectoring animation from the door position and instead replace it with the VGW animation. The issue is I do not see a satisfactory solution to this animation equation.

Therefore I'm hoping someone in the community can give me a hand with these animations. Here are the requirements:
(1) Lift Fan Intake Door (LFI) must move from and to full closed when the bomb bay animation is toggled.

This last part is where I'm running into issues. Ideally I'd like the door to act like a bomb bay door animation but change the final end position depending on the speed of the aircraft. With a simple arrangement I can get the opening sequence setup properly, but when the door is closed, the VGW animation holds the door open somewhat.

This may not be possible within the YSFlight constraints, but I'd like to get your ideas!

Is there a Max/min speed you can set for the swept wing? If so you could use Bombay for low velocity and the high velocity to take it from there
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

My idea uses 2 LFI doors. Basically it goes like this:

(From here I'm referring VGW animation STA 1 as when YS thinks VGW is "extended" and STA 2 as when it is "folded". I can't remember which is which exactly. When an STA is "ticked" it refers to it being visible, and vice versa.)

1 low speed LFI door with VGW attributes, STA 1 ticked but not STA 2. STA 1 is 0 deg (low speed flight) while STA 2 is 30 deg (high speed flight). It has a null srf parent, which has the bomb bay animation, going from 0 deg to 50 deg.

This null srf also has another child, yet another null srf. This srf has the bomb bay animation as well, going from 0deg to 30deg. This null srf, in turn, has the second (high speed) LFI door as a child, which also has a VGW animation. It has STA 1 unticked with position set absurdly high, like Z position -999999999, and STA 2 ticked with 0 position and angle deflections.

In my 7am, fatigued mind, this seems to work adequately, though I'm not sure how well it will work in practice. This method may also cause the door to "flicker" when transitioning from low to high speed flight, as with what I'm currently encountering with my DC-10s. I also cannot think of another way, given the conflicting objectives of VGW in this application.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

NightRaven wrote:My idea uses 2 LFI doors. Basically it goes like this:

(From here I'm referring VGW animation STA 1 as when YS thinks VGW is "extended" and STA 2 as when it is "folded". I can't remember which is which exactly. When an STA is "ticked" it refers to it being visible, and vice versa.)

1 low speed LFI door with VGW attributes, STA 1 ticked but not STA 2. STA 1 is 0 deg (low speed flight) while STA 2 is 30 deg (high speed flight). It has a null srf parent, which has the bomb bay animation, going from 0 deg to 50 deg.

This null srf also has another child, yet another null srf. This srf has the bomb bay animation as well, going from 0deg to 30deg. This null srf, in turn, has the second (high speed) LFI door as a child, which also has a VGW animation. It has STA 1 unticked with position set absurdly high, like Z position -999999999, and STA 2 ticked with 0 position and angle deflections.

In my 7am, fatigued mind, this seems to work adequately, though I'm not sure how well it will work in practice. This method may also cause the door to "flicker" when transitioning from low to high speed flight, as with what I'm currently encountering with my DC-10s. I also cannot think of another way, given the conflicting objectives of VGW in this application.

Thanks for your fatigued effort! I have tried to replicate this but I'm having trouble. Could to assemble a DNM with these animations using flattened cubes for the LFI doors and shrunk planes for the null srfs? Something like my attached attempt?
Attachments
Decaff_Attempt.zip
(38.3 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

Submit Addon To Database
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

I made my own dnm. Names of the objects are pretty clear cut, with low speed LFI coloured blue and high speed LFI coloured red. It took me about 20 minutes of fiddling in Notepad, which is definitely a whole lot harder than using DNMViewer :lol: This is best tested out in YS itself, as importing into Blender somehow has a different effect. However, I noted that this has an unintended consequence: when the lift fan is closed, as it transitions from low speed to high speed, the intake door opens (due to the VGW animation) before disappearing and the high speed door appearing in its place (closed). I'm not sure how to fix it, apart from introducing a third intake door, or changing the relationships somewhat.
Attachments
lfi.dnm.zip
(512 Bytes) Downloaded 396 times
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Thanks for the help NIghtRaven. I'm using Polygon Crest to preview the DNM and it is far closer to what I was able to cobble together. When I transition through the VGW animation, (bomb bay animation at closed) the door starts to open and then snaps closed. If the aircraft could only take off and land STOVL I wouldn't be as concerned, but since it can take off conventionally, then I'm not sure how to take care of this.

Can you think of any way to suppress this action? I'm drawing a blank and what I've tried has not worked. I'm afraid that this additional constraint is the one too many visual animations for a single mesh.

The current animation setup on the aircraft works and I've been satisfied with it, but It doesn't accurately reflect the videos I've seen of the F-35B unless in the hover. If the model can be upgraded, awesome but if not, then I can accept it as a limitation of YSFlight.

Submit Addon To Database
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

NightRaven wrote:I'm not sure how to fix it, apart from introducing a third intake door, or changing the relationships somewhat.
That's just blender side, it's caused by the bomb bay door animation having 3 STA's rather than 2, YS ignores the third, but blender doesn't. if you want it perfect in blender you can set STA 3 with the exact same angle and have it ticked, but it won't affect animations YS side as it'll only pay attention to STA 1 and 2.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

I had a second go and basically redid the dnm file structure (typing all the SRF, FIL, POS, CLA etc lines). Barracuz's suggestion was right, and I shouldn't have made it overly complicated. It does not have the door randomly opening midflight while transitioning from low to high speed, and the door angles are correct as far as I see it. The only hiccup is that the door may "jump" if the bomb bay animation is triggered while the low to high speed transition is taking place, but I suppose it's a lot less severe than the issue from the first attempt.
Attachments
lfi-1.dnm.zip
(519 Bytes) Downloaded 400 times
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

@ NightRaven: ... I think this may be as close as it is going to come to being 100 percent life like. While opening on ground may be slightly jumpy, I think it will make overall operation more realistic. The complicating factor will be the pistons that open the door, but after I take a look at your dnm in closer detail (breaking it down in blender) I should be able to reverse-engineer it and apply it to these pistons so everything works in concert. :D

Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

@decaff_42, have you some example videos where can see all animation that you directly want implement in your meaning of LFID?
I found this two videos, but maybe you have better one

(31 DEC 2016)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

F-35B Base model is as detailed as I think I can make it. I have added in the aerial refueling probe (gear up and arresting hook deployed) and using NIghtraven's animation scheme, the LFI is working after some animation tweaking (some angles didn't look quite right when incorporated with the model) and dat file additions to control it's movement. Now it will move ~140-150 knots from it's slow (more open) to fast (more closed) positions.

The AR Probe Working: :D

Some STOVL AR fun!

With the F-35B DT-3 finished I was able to spot a new decal on the tails of BF-01 and BF-05. Interestingly they kept DT-2 decals on one tail, but had DT-3 decals on the other tail. This decal took me about 3 hours to complete.

Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote:F-35B Base model is as detailed as I think I can make it.
Can't wait for it!!!

(31 DEC 2016)
ZyreaxGaming_YT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: mc-21 (Commercial), A-7 (Military), Co50 (Private)

Post by ZyreaxGaming_YT »

Hey Decaff. Thought you might be interested in this https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi ... 009038.pdf
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~ John F. Kennedy
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

I jizzed in my pants