AGMC Aerospace Industries Production Line

Personal work in progress topics go here
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Re: AGMC Aerospace Industries Production Line

Post by waspe414 »

Crazypilot wrote:That is just plane awesome.
Fix'd.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger »

I'm loving the Humvee easter egg.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

I have just fix'd the issues with several cockpits, and fixed a error that affected the collision and cockpit files. I've uploaded a .rar to my Dropbox.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

Something I started yesterday. I don't think it's something that you guys see often in YS.

It's called the Space Mule. If I finish it soon enough, it will replace the rocket.
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Post by Crazypilot »

waspe414 wrote:
Crazypilot wrote:That is just plane awesome.
Fix'd.
Dat Pun.

That looks just a bit to fat and flat for me.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

Well, It still has a lot of work to do to it, but the basic design is there. It has to be flat, otherwise it wouldn't penetrate the atmosphere too well.
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Post by Crazypilot »

Good point.

By the way, I see you got the light weight attacker. Thanks for that.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

No problem.

As Decaff requested, here I have some more pics of the Space Mule. Damn, I'm working much faster than I used to some months ago.

I only have left panel lines, animations, more detailing, and a proper .dat.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

That looks really, really cool. :D

Are you going to make the nozzles move to 'help' maneuverability. Also, are you going to make the surfaces more curved? with the set smooth button.

What kind of speeds is this going to fly? If it's going to be really high-speed, you might consider decreasing the wing area. The fuselage looks like it would provide some lift at higher angles of attack.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

Well, the engines don't have vector thrust, they're linear aerospike engines. They were used in the X-33, they're supposed to have 25-30% more efficiency at all altitudes than bell shaped nozzles, at the cost of more mass and complexity. This is going as fast as the Space Shuttle did, Mach 25 in orbit, hypersonic in atmosphere. And I planned that this vehicle would be able to also travel atmospherically, so it's going to have a large wingspan and airbreathing combined-cycle engines. I think it'll use propylene as a fuel due to it's density, but I'm not still sure. And I know its main fuselage has a lifting body fuselage, but I'm not going to remodel it. You're the one that knows aerodynamics here, so what shape would you recommend to me?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

YOU ASKED FOR IT MISTER!!!! :lol:

So this is supposed to go from conventional takeoff to orbit? In that case, the design challenges are considerable. Your takeoff weight is large, and the only way to get enough lift is for a high takeoff speed. This is somewhat like the SR-71 who's takeoff speed is 240 kts. Flaps, slats, and variable geometry wings are not compatible with re-entry and hypersonic speeds. The heat is too high for potential gaps to appear in the surface of the wing or fuselage. The vehicle would burn up like the Shuttle Columbia.

I suppose that NASA might build/extend some runways to accommodate the large take-off role, so let's assume that the takeoff speed and lift doesn't worry us.

Next, in order to travel hypersonically in the atmosphere, you will need a wing structure and shape like the space shuttle. A lifting forward section like the shuttle, F-18s, and SR-71 gives lots of lift, and helps with the shockwaves. Also, the angle from the nose, to the wingtip should be around 30°. Here's a shot of the SR-71 looking down the leading edge of the wing that I took.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1439/p1010265vc.jpg

The dip in the wing is where the nose shockwaves hit the wing. On the prototype, that section was straight, and warped due to the heat from the shockwave, so they designed the dip to work better with the shockwaves.

Should the shockwaves extend beyond the wingtips, the airflow over the wing will be more dense, giving a better lift at higher altitudes. That allows you to decrease the wing area to reduce drag, while maintaining the lift at altitude and hypersonic speed.

Lots of info and shockwave theory stuff buried in there. Hope that helps. :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger »

What in the hell did you just say....something about angles and shock waves... :lol: JK. Some good info there, dude!
Cobalt09
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cobalt09 »

Since that might be able to be used for your rocket launch idea, which is in a way related to Ace Combat, and also the fact that YS can now handle sloped runways, I propose an idea. How about launching the Space Mule via a ramp as such: http://youtu.be/PF0rY64l_dc?t=12m15s , but instead of having the rockets attached to the aircraft, have them on a separate sled that could be "jettisoned" via landing gear animation? My thoughts on it.
Am I back? Probably not.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Honey Badger wrote:What in the hell did you just say...I'll have you know that I graduated top of my class in the navy SEALs... etc. etc.
Fix'd. :lol:
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

decaff_42 wrote:YOU ASKED FOR IT MISTER!!!! :lol:

So this is supposed to go from conventional takeoff to orbit? In that case, the design challenges are considerable. Your takeoff weight is large, and the only way to get enough lift is for a high takeoff speed. This is somewhat like the SR-71 who's takeoff speed is 240 kts. Flaps, slats, and variable geometry wings are not compatible with re-entry and hypersonic speeds. The heat is too high for potential gaps to appear in the surface of the wing or fuselage. The vehicle would burn up like the Shuttle Columbia.

I suppose that NASA might build/extend some runways to accommodate the large take-off role, so let's assume that the takeoff speed and lift doesn't worry us.

Next, in order to travel hypersonically in the atmosphere, you will need a wing structure and shape like the space shuttle. A lifting forward section like the shuttle, F-18s, and SR-71 gives lots of lift, and helps with the shockwaves. Also, the angle from the nose, to the wingtip should be around 30°. Here's a shot of the SR-71 looking down the leading edge of the wing that I took.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1439/p1010265vc.jpg

The dip in the wing is where the nose shockwaves hit the wing. On the prototype, that section was straight, and warped due to the heat from the shockwave, so they designed the dip to work better with the shockwaves.

Should the shockwaves extend beyond the wingtips, the airflow over the wing will be more dense, giving a better lift at higher altitudes. That allows you to decrease the wing area to reduce drag, while maintaining the lift at altitude and hypersonic speed.

Lots of info and shockwave theory stuff buried in there. Hope that helps. :D
That helps a lot. I haven't noticed that curved section in the many pics of the SR-71 that I've seen. You sir are lucky to take such a close look to that masterpiece.
How can I see if the shockwaves hit the wingtip or not? See, I also will study aerospace engineering, that's why I'm trying to design my planes as feasibly as I can. Though I don't think this one in particular is, the payload that I wanted it to carry would be 30 tons to LEO taking off normally and 35 with mass driver. 10 to GTO and 11-12 with mass driver.
Originally I wanted it to take off horizontally, from a launch pad or from the mass driver from AC5 that I thought about and didn't have time to post. And our friend Cobalt here stole from me, still don't know how. :lol: But due to its payload and the sheer mass of the fuel and vehicle itself, I thought that it couldn't do it vertically. But I need to do some real calculations, not just guesstimate.
Cobalt09 wrote:Since that might be able to be used for your rocket launch idea, which is in a way related to Ace Combat, and also the fact that YS can now handle sloped runways, I propose an idea. How about launching the Space Mule via a ramp as such: http://youtu.be/PF0rY64l_dc?t=12m15s , but instead of having the rockets attached to the aircraft, have them on a separate sled that could be "jettisoned" via landing gear animation? My thoughts on it.
Can you read minds? I already thought of that a week ago, I even made a drawing of it leaving the mass driver! But we can't have a 7.5 mile long slope in such a small island, that's why a launch pad is better. Plus, cargo goes internally.

I'm thinking of doing two versions, the realistic one, the one that takes off from the mass driver and runways, and the version for the Rocket Launch event, which will be oriented like rockets.
Today I'll be working on other stuff that should get more attention.
Cobalt09
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cobalt09 »

Rise and Shine wrote:
Cobalt09 wrote:Since that might be able to be used for your rocket launch idea, which is in a way related to Ace Combat, and also the fact that YS can now handle sloped runways, I propose an idea. How about launching the Space Mule via a ramp as such: http://youtu.be/PF0rY64l_dc?t=12m15s , but instead of having the rockets attached to the aircraft, have them on a separate sled that could be "jettisoned" via landing gear animation? My thoughts on it.
Can you read minds? I already thought of that a week ago, I even made a drawing of it leaving the mass driver! But we can't have a 7.5 mile long slope in such a small island, that's why a launch pad is better. Plus, cargo goes internally.

I'm thinking of doing two versions, the realistic one, the one that takes off from the mass driver and runways, and the version for the Rocket Launch event, which will be oriented like rockets.
Today I'll be working on other stuff that should get more attention.
Okay, that sounds good. I sort of forgot that this would be on Wake, then the mass driver would be the size of the island! Okay, maybe not that big, but it is still very large.
Am I back? Probably not.
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger »

I love this Idea so far, Rise.

@OfficerFlake: Air Force Para-Rescue. Get it right. :lol:
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

Well, 57th pack 2 has been released. A couple of bugs are still in it, but for the rest, it's near perfect. Check it out.
And now I'll be able to dedicate full on my designs, starting with the Space Mule. I even have a motto: "Navis aebundi aer" which, in Latin, means "Ship that sails out of the air" and a logo for it, but only if I have time. Yes, I did get it from Google translate. I thought at first I would put Extra Aurae, but that means "Exterior air". I didn't Google that, though.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice »

Update of what I've been doing. Not much, but it's worth a mention.

I've rounded the corners of the bay doors and bays themselves, added more RCS where needed and put some stuff in the bay, since having it empty is a bit dull.
Might also put a satellite or a nuke in there, too.

And something I haven't revealed yet, the AIF-2 Blue Teeth. An interceptor designed to be a stopgap between the MiG-25/31 and F-15 in terms of speed, and with a superior range.

Expect an orbital railgun in the future, too. I think I'll drop the logo idea for the Space Mule, I might do it on paper but not digitally.
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger »

Looks good Rise! I've never really figured out Blender other than basic painting....