NightRaven's Shed

Personal work in progress topics go here
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Re: NightRaven's Shed

Post by Turbofan »

^Looking fantastic. Are you still looking for those gear photos? I'd be happy to look up some for you this evening after I get back from work.

Also, don't forget the inboard ailerons on each wing. ;)

Coming together very nicely, can't wait to get this awesome machine in the air!
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Of course I'll do the inboard ailerons; they worked on my boneyard DC-10s.

If you can find any photos of the hinge/joint roughly where the cylinder ends on my model, it'd be greatly appreciated. :) I have a vague idea of how it's arranged, but I'm not 100% sure, and me being OCD... :lol:
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Post by Dragon_Mech »

good greif man! i can't wait to roast my CPU with that thing :D
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

Nearing completion of the main gears. I found another nice shot of the front of the gear at Schiphol Airport, so I went with that. Glender tools also helped tremendously, though much cleaning up was done as well. What you see here is about 6000 vertices; thankfully mesh linking has helped keep the whole 30k vertex model at a relatively diminutive 1.5MB.
I'm also doing up a HQPGAC version of the A-10 for a side project, lest the DC-10 begins to grind on my patience.
NajmiCreative
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-29N,SU-30 MKM

Post by NajmiCreative »

the gear strut now taking shape :D and the "brrrt" sound will be coming
My official website
My Twitter NOTE:All my rework model are allowed for repaint and need to credit on publish..no need to PM me anymore
[align=center]for modifications on my mods,please PM me first,and credit me and original creator(if my work were rework)[/align]
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

Main gears complete.
Now has supporting strut, unlike my boneyard DC-10s. One thing I noted when animating it was that YS freaks out if the rotation is quite large. I originally set it to rotate 180 degrees during normal gear retraction, but in YS it completed the rotation instantly after a delay, so halfway through the animation it would protrude from the wing and then suddenly rotate 180 degrees to fold into the gearbay. I fixed this by using an additional null.srf to rotate 90 degrees and setting the original strut to rotate another 90 degrees. I've seen this happen with the levers on my boneyard DC-10s as well.
I've also completed most of the interior parts, with the cargo bay and gear bay finalised. The rear cargo doors share the same cargo bay, so it is basically see through (a little difficult to distinguish in this image). Should I put cargo pallets in there?
I've added some other things as well. Rolling wheels, proper CLA lighting, a basic cockpit (just the shell), and APU exhaust now retracts at 80kts. I'm planning to make some ground lighting and hook it up to the VGW CLA so that when the APU retracts the ground lights disappear as well.

I'm quite close to finishing up the dnm of this early DC-10-10. What I'm left with now is the nose gear, then I'll move on to the animation of the control surfaces, and finally the basic cockpit with the dials in the cockpit srf. I'm hoping to edge 40000 vertices once I've finished the whole external dnm, with probably another 10000 for the cockpit dials. Once I'm done with that, probably 40% of the whole pack would be done, as I still have to modify it for the -30 and -40, along with the KC-10.
skatjr1204
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: B777/A340

Post by skatjr1204 »

NightRaven wrote:Main gears complete.
wowwwww :shock: :shock:
great work night raven!!
Chief Executive Officer of Herven YSVA
RRP/Herven pack uploder : http://ux.getuploader.com/skatjr1204/
Herven YSVA Site : http://hervenysva.weebly.com/
Vingar Alliance site : http://vingaralliance.weebly.com/
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor...
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

NightRaven wrote:One thing I noted when animating it was that YS freaks out if the rotation is quite large.
This happens because the rotation is stored as a short. Ever edit a dnm in dnmviewer and see the rotation as 44.81654y4564etc degrees instead of 45? short rounding error. 180 deg = 32717 and 0 deg = 0. It doesn't know which way to rotate (left or right?) to get towards 0. the 90 deg trick is a perfect work around.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I've noticed several things in blender with the 180 degree rotations. I always just do 179 degrees, but I will definitely be looking at doing the 2x 90 degree rotations in the future.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by AdityaB »

NightRaven wrote:Main gears complete.
&images
oh oh i need help now.... :?

my YS crashed awestruck as soon as i opened the page, although my YSF was not opened?!!! :o :o

any solutions? :cry:

:lol: awesome creation there!

Thank you NR :)
Please note that I do not mean any kind of offence in any of my posts
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
:) :) :)
*temporarily unavailable further details
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

hoho I'm back

...kind of. My exams are now ending and the remaining papers don't seem to pose that much of a challenge anymore. As such, I have picked modding and YS flying back up again, though not as much as I used to. In the past 1 or 2 weeks I haven't done much, but I have been working on improving my Flatpack. The canopy and nose are now more true to the actual concept, and I am redoing the panel lines so they are thinner. I also plan on placing a half glass cockpit within to replace the current one.
1.png
This has been the only thing I have been able to work on consistently, given that my old HDD died in August. I have managed to salvage the save file for my DC-10 as well, so no need to worry for that. However, I have not been working on that because Live Ubuntu has been giving me epilepsy (flashing screen) whenever I use Blender, so I have only been working on the Flatpack. I will work on the DC-10 once I get Windows up and running again.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

(my thread)

So I've got a new SSD and got Windows 10 up and running again. And that means that I've finally gotten around to finishing the nose gear of the DC-10 that I've been procrastinating on for the longest time. It's almost done, with one more strut to go.
I have made the steering cylinders rotate while steering the nose wheels. However, since I haven't found a proper source regarding the steering cylinders, I'm not exactly sure whether it rotates this way. Even then, enjoy this:
Ground lights also included. Helpful with the nose EXCAMERA.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

That is a really cool new way of doing the ground lights!!! I love it!
:D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

NightRaven wrote:(my thread)

So I've got a new SSD and got Windows 10 up and running again. And that means that I've finally gotten around to finishing the nose gear of the DC-10 that I've been procrastinating on for the longest time. It's almost done, with one more strut to go.

I have made the steering cylinders rotate while steering the nose wheels. However, since I haven't found a proper source regarding the steering cylinders, I'm not exactly sure whether it rotates this way. Even then, enjoy this:
Ground lights also included. Helpful with the nose EXCAMERA.

oh nice! now we can finally use the lights to see at night!
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Post by ksh »

was it the DC-10 that had the problem that the engine would just fall off? nothing against your model NightRaven, just i thought i read it somewhere that they had that problem and they where remplaced by the MD-11? could it be? :?
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

ksh wrote:was it the DC-10 that had the problem that the engine would just fall off? nothing against your model NightRaven, just i thought i read it somewhere that they had that problem and they where remplaced by the MD-11? could it be? :?
Not unless you cut corners on maintainence. If you're referring to AA 191, long story short is, AA decided to save time by removing the engine with the pylon instead of the procedure given to all airlines by Douglas Corporation (later McDonnell Douglas), which was to remove the engine first, then the pylon. If memory serves well, on the aircraft in question, this resulted in the pylon being partially damaged where it is attached to the wing, and with the usual wear and tear, the pylon couldn't handle the job any longer after some number of flights and separated from the wing, taking the engine with it. Unfortunately, it wasn't a clean separation and resulted in the #1 hydraulic line getting severed, leading to a loss of hydraulic fluid (that trail white "smoke" you see in photos is actually that), and that in turn led to the left wing slats retracting prematurely. The end result of course, we all know.

The MD-11 has its own set of problems but I wont get into that in this thread, I could derail it for some time!

Both aircraft were very well-built machines and were safe in their own right, but it was mostly pilot error or company error that got the DC-10 a bad reputation.
ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Post by ksh »

Turbofan wrote:
ksh wrote:was it the DC-10 that had the problem that the engine would just fall off? nothing against your model NightRaven, just i thought i read it somewhere that they had that problem and they where remplaced by the MD-11? could it be? :?
Not unless you cut corners on maintainence. If you're referring to AA 191, long story short is, AA decided to save time by removing the engine with the pylon instead of the procedure given to all airlines by Douglas Corporation (later McDonnell Douglas), which was to remove the engine first, then the pylon. If memory serves well, on the aircraft in question, this resulted in the pylon being partially damaged where it is attached to the wing, and with the usual wear and tear, the pylon couldn't handle the job any longer after some number of flights and separated from the wing, taking the engine with it. Unfortunately, it wasn't a clean separation and resulted in the #1 hydraulic line getting severed, leading to a loss of hydraulic fluid (that trail white "smoke" you see in photos is actually that), and that in turn led to the left wing slats retracting prematurely. The end result of course, we all know.

The MD-11 has its own set of problems but I wont get into that in this thread, I could derail it for some time!

Both aircraft were very well-built machines and were safe in their own right, but it was mostly pilot error or company error that got the DC-10 a bad reputation.
Ah ok...thanks! Still this plane looks fabtastic!
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

So 2 weeks in Malaysia with very little internet connectivity gave me enough time to finish off pretty much 99% of the external parts of the visual dnm. I am glad I worked on the flaps and slats last, because they gave me a huge headache. The flaps now also have the RL positions of 15deg, 22deg, 35deg and 50deg, though due to the limitations of YS the same does not apply to the slats.
Similar to the Boneyard model, the flaps are connected to their associated actuators and the slats have the connecting struts. However, due to the way the flaps rotate I cannot get cylinders to act as mid movers IM SORRY DECAFF

yes the double flap system was also quite a pain to fit in the wing without protruding during animation. I've had to merge and re-separate the slats to make them animate properly. I have also changed the main ailerons to the inboard ones after reading that the outboard ailerons deploy only when the slats are deployed.

In-game, the aircraft now has EXCAMERA positions for passenger views (see first link) with the CABIN variable as noted by u2fly. With the new light position just forward of the main body fairing, I have also added more ground lights that are now visible from the cockpit, though only slightly. But there is an issue with this: there seems to be a peep hole effect with the translucent nature of the object which is acceptable at night but is downright ugly in the day. This is also visible from the passenger views.
I am considering ditching the outboard lights and keeping only the nose gear lights.

I have also used ZL lighting for the lights. All that is left now is to separate the different lights and assign them the correct CLAs, and probably turbines for the engines, which would add another 2000 vertices, then I'll move on to the cockpit, of which I am having serious motivation issues. Currently the cockpit is nothing but a scaled down section of the nose, so it is just a grey shell. What I plan to do with it is to make the main stuff, such as the gauges, panels, levers, yokes etc to belong in the visual dnm since the cockpit windows are see-through, while keeping the finer details like the dials of the gauges, words and numbers in the cockpit srf. This would be quite a massive undertaking for me and would add another 10k (?) vertices. woohoo fun
and then I also plan to add a working instrument panel on top of that like Umailbow's new Eagles for the heck of it.

I have also tinkered with decaff's Stearman. I have not done much aside from doing basic clean up and aligning the model (it was facing backwards).
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

megadodo bump

I have been sporadic in my updates these few months, due to coping with life in general (spoiler alert: not well). However, even though the project seems dead, I still have been working on the DC-10 cockpit when my mood allows.
It is nudging 10k vertices in total, and I have yet to start on the flight engineer's panel. The dials are now full 3D, unlike my Boneyard models. Also comes with cup holder*.

*drink not included