PNHY-PHOG

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

PNHY-PHOG

Post by DavideV »

This is a flight file I made for demo purposes about VOR navigation. Sadly, I lately realized when the replay doesn't show any NAV instrument setting, so I have to do it again - this time saving screenshots! Anyway, I submit it to your review.

What I wanted is to proof that the realism of the YSF navigation is higly underestimated (not the flight physics, *that* is really not that accurate...). If the VOR stations are correctly placed on the map you can actually plan a flight with the real maps provided by the http://www.skyvector.com site.

I choosed a short fligh, from Lanai (PNHY) to Kahului (PHOG) but, in order to show how to use NAV aids, I went it the way around following this route:

The Airport Info doesn't say anything about departing procedures, so I choosed to immediately turn right heading 120 and then a left turn to intercept the radial 95. I continued climbing until reaching 9,000ft and then I set the autopilot on straight & level flight. When I reached the first interception on the 338 radial from UpoluPoint, I made a left turn on 338 (I anticipated too much), then a left turn heading 265 when crossing the 265 radial of the Maui VOR station, and then the circling approach at the Kahului (as reported on the arrival procedure of that airport). Here I made two major mistakes: I forgot to descend before starting the circling procedure and I started the right turn on the circle too late. The mix of these two mistakes made me arriving at the final too close and too high. I should have started a missed approach procedure... but I was short on time and this was just a navigation demo.

If you have any remarks or questions, please feel free to tell me.

Here is the .ysf file of the flight:
https://sites.google.com/site/davidebas ... ects=0&d=1

Regards,
DavideV.

PS. You need the Hawaii PNMV map and the ATVA plane.
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: PNHY-PHOG

Post by Gunny »

Finally Semi-realistic Nav.on Ys.Just to bad it has to be done in small patches.Btw enjoy your Fathers Day.

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Re: PNHY-PHOG

Post by DavideV »

Yes, too bad! Someone should expand the Hawaii map...

Thanks!
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)