TIPS ON CHOOSING SQUADRON LIVERY/COLORS

The home of forums for individual squads, recruiting offices and squad-centric discussion
Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

TIPS ON CHOOSING SQUADRON LIVERY/COLORS

Post by Iceman »

Iceman's Tips On Choosing Squadron Liveries

1. Body Patterns
Every country has their unique body pattern. Whether it's the USA's classic Hill Scheme, to the JASDF Maritime Blue, or Russia's beautiful camos, each faction and air force have their own unique body pattern, bland or colorful. A body pattern can simply be one flat color, two colors, and can range to a whole mix of colors. But the key to defining a body pattern is that it needs to encompass the whole aircraft (in most cases). They are the easiest way for identification, and if used correctly can have some really amazing results. Here are some examples for you:

2. Body Shapes/Markings
Another option you can add to your aircraft are body shapes. The shapes can contour with the aircraft, or be completely random. Whatever the case is, body shapes, if placed correctly, can be amazingly beautiful and make your aircraft stand out even more. Careful to be subtle with body shapes, however - a general rule of thumb for me is if the more intricate the design is, the less colors you should use, and vice versa. Choosing a 2 color scheme can be easily made to look nice if the patterns are intricate, while a strong contrasted shape can dramatically change the attitude of your paint scheme. Examples:

3. Tail Designs/Art
Generally, tail designs, markings and art are the pieces that "tie in" the whole design. If a tail is left blank, more often then not the plane almost looks unfinished. But defining your tail markings and designs are one of the best things to make your aircraft different from everyone else's. There are so many different ways to do tails - here are just a few examples for you:

General Tips

1. Be creative...
This one is a given. The more creative you are with your squad schemes, the better they turn out to be. But you need to be careful about putting TOO much or too intricate stuff into your squad paint job, which brings me to my next point:

2. ...but don't over do it.
Designs that are too colorful hurt the eye, and make you stand out like a sore thumb. Your squad paint scheme has a practical purpose (somewhat) as well, so try to select your squad's colors based upon your preferred style of play. Refer to the examples given below.

3. Draw it out first.
Grab a screencap of your plane or a three view off the internet, and bring it into MSPaint or Photoshop, whatever you prefer. Photoshop obviously works the best, but if you don't have access to photoshop, try GIMP. The more planning and testing you do before hand, the better your paint jobs come out to be. Ask people! Look at other countries or video games for inspiration. Color schemes can be easily found many places on the internet. Refer to racing car paintjobs, display teams, and even graffiti as examples.

4. Make it serve a purpose.
My general rule of thumb is this: The camo marks the purpose of the aircraft, the markings/shapes identify the squadron, and the logo/decals finish it off with a trademark. If you're a recon squad that flies high altitude recon missions during the day time, consider a white or light blue underside to your aircraft, with a medium grey to cobalt-ish top. If you're a group that takes priority as low strikers in forest/grassy areas, consider green upper camo and gull grey underside. And if you're a forward air control group, bright patterns would be your thing.

Hypothetical Examples
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Re: TIPS ON CHOOSING SQUADRON LIVERY/COLORS

Post by VNAF ONE »

SWEEET tips bro. This is going to make brainstorming a lot easier in the future. Hope all you new squadron founders out there take this deep into mind. I know it took me days to put a scheme together for VNAF. Thanks Iceman.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like .....
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal »

sexy tutorial, any chance of seeing some of these on the tarmac?

a place to list insignia seems like a good idea, since someone has already jacked our insignia once
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.
ToxicSkylinesMH10
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-22C

Post by ToxicSkylinesMH10 »

Ohhhhhhh somebody just found a new girlfriend!!!!!! (MEEEEE) I'm gonna marry this tutorial and never cheat on it!

Iceman you are the master!!!!
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

phpBB needs a [LIKE] button function for topics like this.
popdude

Post by popdude »

AWSOME POST and i used the template to create a concept for one of my squad planes!!!
halberdier25
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by halberdier25 »

Taskforce 58 wrote:phpBB needs a [LIKE] button function for topics like this.
"Thanks!" button?