Civilian Server Network

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Civilian Server Network

Post by Maroon 5 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:07 pm

I have noticed that there are no reliable civilian servers out there. Once in a while acf492's server is up, but YS still lacks one. Will it be possible to create a network of users from different timezones running Console Server so that when one person's server is offline, another user's will be up? And possibly link all of these computers to a single .servegame.com or .dyndns.org redirect? A script could run at startup on participating users accounts that detects if another user is running the server, and if not, starts it automatically?

And I heard somewhere that someone created a dedicated Minecraft server through Dropbox? How the hell did they do that?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: Civilian Server Network

Post by Midnight Rambler » Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 pm

42South was originally a civilian server. My problem was that I had barley 3 people on a day which defeated the purpose, for me at least, to run the server. It also gets damn boring with no one talking.

Running a conventional YSF server means that your computer is running for a long time. Not only does this increase wear and tear but it also increases power bills and the likelihood that the damn thing will blow up in your face. :lol:

You could try getting a group of people together to run a 24/7 civilian server, but I doubt it'd work. For one, the dyndns.org/servergame redirections only work with one IP address. You could try changing it for every individual server but they monitor the change of IPs (my account was suspended when my IP continued to change to my internal IP).

In short, if your want to form a server group then go for it. But good luck finding the means/people to do so.

-- Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am --

Another option you could consider is renting a VPS. They're dead easy to run and are likely to have much better internet than a conventional server.

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 am

Unfortunately, I do not have the money to rent a server. Actually, i do, but I'm saving that up for a lightning fast gaming computer. I'll look around for a website that'll allow multiple IP changes and create a script to automate it, in conjunction with Dropbox. If anyone is interested in becoming a part of this network, please PM me and post suggestions.
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice » Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 pm

fanjet wrote:but I'm saving that up for a lightning fast gaming computer.
*does the same since March and only have 117 bucks*
fanjet wrote:And I heard somewhere that someone created a dedicated Minecraft server through Dropbox? How the hell did they do that?
Yeah, how can that be possible?
Midnight Rambler wrote:42South was originally a civilian server. My problem was that I had barley 3 people on a day which defeated the purpose, for me at least, to run the server. It also gets damn boring with no one talking.
And the classic problem of YS appears again for the millionth time. There isn't a lot of people here on the community, and almost everyone in the community
is into military activities. Perhaps we could do this kind of stuff when more people is actually into this. Also, I came up with something while typing this.
Why don't we make some kind of thread where we write all the stuff that should be done to the community, but those things need more members and popularity? Not to the page of YSFHQ, but to the servers and other stuff. So we don't forget to do this kind of things when we're bigger.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 pm

How'd you know I've been doing the same thing, Rise? I've saved the same amount to the cent (in USD). Also, as Rise said, most people interested in Civilian flight want realistic simulation and quality ATC. FSX offers that much better than YS.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Thu May 10, 2012 8:09 pm

erm, need we such a server?

besides when the 171 has IFF4 ships, you can go civie on any server.

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 pm

We need a reliable server with a detailed map that does not cause too much lag and is widely available. It should run ATC, and be strictly for civilian activities. Maybe this can even be the official server for all of the VA's. Map: Maybe St. Maarten, Southern Arizona, Griffon's Hawaii, etc.

I got the basic YS Flight diectory up on Dropbox. Deleting unnecessary maps and adding VA packs once I get past that "Acess Denied, Can't Sync" crap.

location: \Dropbox\YSFHQ Scenery Modding Team\YSFlight Civilian Server

Please leave more suggestions. Gotta publicize this crap now.....

Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster » Fri May 11, 2012 1:32 am

I don't think putting that server into the dropbox was such a great idea. I was fairly surprised when I found out an extra 1000 items synced onto my computer, things that I already have installed on my own ysflight. Not only that, but the server is also taking up a lot of useful space for future modding projects. We can only hold so much before we go over our data limit.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 am

I agree way to much data in drop box not pertaining to moding we are vary close to going over the free limit.Not a good thing.
Image[/align=centre]

Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday » Fri May 11, 2012 2:41 am

Philster wrote:I don't think putting that server into the dropbox was such a great idea. I was fairly surprised when I found out an extra 1000 items synced onto my computer, things that I already have installed on my own ysflight. Not only that, but the server is also taking up a lot of useful space for future modding projects. We can only hold so much before we go over our data limit.
Gunny wrote:I agree way to much data in drop box not pertaining to moding we are vary close to going over the free limit.Not a good thing.
I think pretty much everyone here can agree that placing that server into the dropbox was very pointless. I deleted that folder from the dropbox.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:02 am

Actually, I thank you for doing that. I somehow can't delete it from my computer because of some stupid access denied crap. sorry about that. Gonna make my own folder. PM me if you're interested.

acf492
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: 737

Post by acf492 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 am

This is a delayed response, but I just wanted people to know that my civilian server has been running stable for the month of May.

The only source of unavailability is when my IP address changes. I have been manually updating the IP with no-ip.com, but I have to learn to install a Command line linux client that will update my information.

If I catch it when it changes then the server should be available most of the time.
I'm back.

Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Post by Fariiniq » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 pm

UltimateYSFlight servers run 24/7.
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:03 am

@ acf492, I have been working on a script that does automatically change your IP and update it to NO-IP.