Random questions about anything NEAR and IN the realm of YSFlight

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
MrFunnybone
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

Re: Random questions about anything NEAR and IN the realm of YSFlight

Post by MrFunnybone »

Could someone help me with the dat? does the cockpit position and all te component positions correspond in blender to x y z(it looks like COCKPITP 0.30m 1.18m 5.09m). And also how do i position the cockpit file srf in blender? is it at 0,0,0 and just specified where it will go in the fueselage by the dat?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

the cockpit SRF file is not controlled by the DAT file. The COCKPITP is the Pilot's view point from the cockpit. The view point should be relative to the origin of the model.

Also you should remember that the dat file positions are Y, Z, X for the blender X,Y,Z.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

But you can figure out where to place the cockpit views using blender. Just put a vertex where you want your view point (like right in front of the pilot's face), and use the coordinates of that vertex to set the location in the .dat file. Then delete the vertex.

The cockpit file needs to have the cockpit exactly where it would be if it was part of the model. For that reason, I prefer to make the cockpit part of the aircraft model and leave the cockpit.srf file blank.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

My preferance for the pilots view is inside the head bridge of the nose right between the eyes.Seriously.Most pilot eye views look like they where from the viewpoint of a 12 year old student pilot peeking over the instrument dash ;)
Image[/align=centre]
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by AdityaB »

Gunny wrote:My preferance for the pilots view is inside the head bridge of the nose right between the eyes.Seriously.Most pilot eye views look like they where from the viewpoint of a 12 year old student pilot peeking over the instrument dash ;)
......or sitting on the nose, not even the dash cam! :lol:
Please note that I do not mean any kind of offence in any of my posts
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
:) :) :)
*temporarily unavailable further details
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

another copy pasta
MrFunnybone wrote:Should my srf file for the cockpit be at 0,0,0
decaff_42 wrote:Yes
MrFunnybone wrote:With the place i want the pilot’s view at the center?
MrFunnybone wrote: Or is that specified in dat
decaff_42 wrote: Well, the mesh of the srf should be where you want the mesh to appear in-game, but the origin should be at 0,0,0. If you just export the cockpit mesh from blender it should re-set the origin for you
decaff_42 wrote: Not specified in the dat
MrFunnybone wrote: What is the vaporpo0?
decaff_42 wrote: viewtopic.php?t=1772
decaff_42 wrote: That will answer most dat variable questions
MrFunnybone wrote: I still don’t know how the vapor trail can be defined by one position
MrFunnybone wrote: Shouldnt there be 4 if the plane has 4 engines
decaff_42 wrote: The contrails from engines are replicated with smoke generators. The vapor trail is what you see on the wingtip when pulling 4g
MrFunnybone wrote: Yeah, so there should be two positions?
decaff_42 wrote: You can have as many smoke generators as you want
NightRaven wrote:YS just assumes the aircraft is symmetrical so it takes the position you enter and mirrors it
MrFunnybone wrote: Ok
MrFunnybone wrote: Do the turrets of the aircraft have to be animated in blender or are they by the dat
NightRaven wrote:@ MrFunnybone, by the dat but I’m not entirely sure how, just fiddle with it and see what happens
NightRaven wrote:Sometimes you just got to experiment, y’know ;)
MrFunnybone wrote: For some reason on the ground my plane spawns facing down and crash... but when i spawn in the air it’s fine
NightRaven wrote:Check your landing gear positions; maybe your left and right gear are the same positions, or some other random error in positioning. try landing it after properly spawning
MrFunnybone wrote: The only problem now is that i can’t even take of normally anymore, i just went back and tried to spawn in the air i just exploded, i didnt even let me see my own plane it was just a black sscreen
MrFunnybone wrote: OH
MrFunnybone wrote: Nvm i wanted to get rid of the turrets but i got rid of the one controlled by the pilot which caused the error
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AdityaB »

June 30 2016

Has anyone experienced this before? a particular scenery crashing after a while?

i.e. My Chandigarh scenery has a problem of crashing after a while, with or without .yfs file :( :?:

just to give you an idea of the time involved: I start from ramp, taxi to the threshold (my standard taxiing speed is +-30kts), take off, attain 1000ft, and crash ..... that is approximately 5-7 mins....

this also happens when .yfs file is loaded on....or even when i start from any aerial STP :(

I dont know why? anyone experienced the same on some other scenery or the same scenery?

This is one particular scenery, with which i have faced the problem :(

-------------------------------------

July 02 2016

I wanted to make a map, for which i wanted to align satellite images and sketch it.....can someone suggest a method to do this?

Google suggested photostitcher software....it crashes in my computer or doesnt produce an image.... :( :?

anyone following the same method?
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
kiwiflieger
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Die Fledermaus

Post by kiwiflieger »

AdityaB wrote:I wanted to make a map, for which i wanted to align satellite images and sketch it.....can someone suggest a method to do this?
Try Pixlr or Gimp. I think GIMP has some sort of merge feature that may come in handy for satellite images.

I have a question of my own - can one place polygons on a textured elevation grid with no hidden faces? I am trying to use a texture on the elevation grid and whenever I unhide the faces, the polygons are shoved underneath. Any clues? :|
Currently dormant... playing IL2 Cliffs of Dover
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

AdityaB wrote:
July 02 2016

I wanted to make a map, for which i wanted to align satellite images and sketch it.....can someone suggest a method to do this?

Google suggested photostitcher software....it crashes in my computer or doesnt produce an image.... :( :?

anyone following the same method?

Yep. I sourced a program a while back. It pulls a certain square are of Google Maps and downloads it in sections and at whatever zoom you want. Let me find it.
EDIT:I think its the one I attached

Or Search for a local university/environmental agency gis website. Here in the US you find high res aerial imagery for alot of the country. And what's great is that most is provided free of charge and organized by sectors so it's just matter of downloading and dropping in scenery editor.
KiwiCommando wrote: I have a question of my own - can one place polygons on a textured elevation grid with no hidden faces? I am trying to use a texture on the elevation grid and whenever I unhide the faces, the polygons are shoved underneath. Any clues? :|
+1 I too would like to know. Polygons seem to be fixed to zero elevation. Or maybe it's because the grid faces are not parallel to the ground?
Attachments
Google Satellite Maps Downloader.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 379 times
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
kiwiflieger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kiwiflieger »

BARRACUZ wrote:...the grid faces are not parallel to the ground?
No, the faces are set to zero slope, as is required for a protect polygon. I'll go into a bit more detail than my last post as I was rushing slightly and may not have explained it very well.

OK. I have a textured elevation grid with a flat area I want to place an airport on. I select the faces I want the airport on, with a small margin surrounding it, and click "Make Protected Picture from Selected Faces". The faces become hidden, show an extra 'contour' to tell you it's protected and a map polygon is placed on the protect polygon area (deleting this doesn't appear to make a difference, I think it's just there to cover the hidden area). I insert the airport scenery under where I want it on the elevation grid and move the scenery to terrain elevation. Airport appears on elevation grid.

Then I try to unhide all faces, showing the texture on the grid. The polygons disappear, but everything else (rect regions, elev. grid buildings, ground objects. etc.) is unaffected. When viewed from underneath, the polygons are still there, but just not on top. Moving the scenery to terrain elevation doesn't appear to work for this problem.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barr »

KiwiCommando wrote:
BARRACUZ wrote:...the grid faces are not parallel to the ground?
No, the faces are set to zero slope, as is required for a protect polygon. I'll go into a bit more detail than my last post as I was rushing slightly and may not have explained it very well.

OK. I have a textured elevation grid with a flat area I want to place an airport on. I select the faces I want the airport on, with a small margin surrounding it, and click "Make Protected Picture from Selected Faces". The faces become hidden, show an extra 'contour' to tell you it's protected and a map polygon is placed on the protect polygon area (deleting this doesn't appear to make a difference, I think it's just there to cover the hidden area). I insert the airport scenery under where I want it on the elevation grid and move the scenery to terrain elevation. Airport appears on elevation grid.

Then I try to unhide all faces, showing the texture on the grid. The polygons disappear, but everything else (rect regions, elev. grid buildings, ground objects. etc.) is unaffected. When viewed from underneath, the polygons are still there, but just not on top. Moving the scenery to terrain elevation doesn't appear to work for this problem.
Sorry cant help ya there.

But I do have a question of my own. When using the child parent scnery doohickys do I simple create the parent/child boxes once the scenery is all done or is this something that shold be done as you make a map? Will using them really help with framertes and lag?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

It is done as you are making the map. Basically each child scenery should be made as if they were going to be the only thing in the map.

This fld file is then imported into a second map and positioned, thus making the original fld the child scenery.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barr »

decaff_42 wrote:It is done as you are making the map. Basically each child scenery should be made as if they were going to be the only thing in the map.

This fld file is then imported into a second map and positioned, thus making the original fld the child scenery.
Oy thanks

EDIT:
I have another question. For example let say I made (not saying I did) a large polygon( a long coastline) even if I add the individual airports(flds) that large polygon wont be affected by the parent/child relationships and will load up as a whole and create lag right? It would be better to just scrap it and remake ALL in sections

EDIT2:
Im trying to split up the polygons to avoid having to remake everything, but im getting a select a map and one polygon? What does this mean? The process is as follows: selct item, click on desired polygon, go to objects>map>split polygon and then I get this (pic attached). Only things in the map are polygons with pink borders and the brown/tan border. Selecting either gives the same error[attachment=0]000095.png[/attachment]

Oy oy I found the solution. After you select the map(pinkframe of the poly you wish to cut) you simply click the polygon inside the map you want and BAM. Thanks pat
Patrick31337 wrote:
Stingx wrote:It would be nice if there was a way to cut polygons in scen editor; it'd save the hassle.
[/size]

Select the map, then hit Esc, then select the polygon you want to cut up. Then Map -> Split Polygon. Select two verticies on the polygon's edge and then hit the space bar. Now you have 2 polygons. Select a polygon from the map as described above, then Map -> Cut (the polygon element that was selected), Edit -> Insert -> Map Frame, insert a new map frame close to where the polygon was. Then Map -> Paste and the polygon element is pasted exactly where it was. Repeat as needed.

I try not to let any polygon be more than about 10,000 meters wide or long.
Attachments
000095.png
000095.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 12181 times
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AdityaB »

1) very important) how is merging maps done?? i have this beautiful Delhi scenery with me.... (gunny had uploaded it....the scenery was made by an unknown who has a lot of knowledge on map making and blender...) but it is "dirty" (in scenery editor) ... how can i merge maps.... (i am not talking about polygons....) .... i mean the pink boxes...how are they merged?

Thanks a metric ton :)

------------------------------

2) how is ILS guideline inserted? whats the method? how is it inserted/implemented? what is its use?

thanks a lot :)
Last edited by AdityaB on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
kiwiflieger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kiwiflieger »

Number 3 is solved by clicking View -> Draw -> Draw ILS Guide Line. That will toggle the visibility of the guideline.

I have no clue about the others... :?
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

AdityaB wrote:2) what are the green boxes, in scenery editor? (no noth stp's, the green boxes..some 'child' thingys :) )
Its "overall dimension" of selected object(s).

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AdityaB »

kiwiflieger wrote:Number 3[2] is solved by clicking View -> Draw -> Draw ILS Guide Line. That will toggle the visibility of the guideline.

I have no clue about the others... :?
how is it inserted/implemented? what is its use?

My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
kiwiflieger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kiwiflieger »

AdityaB wrote: how is it inserted/implemented? what is its use?
If you view the guideline in 3D, you can see there is a green line leading out from a large arrow next to the ILS ground object. The green line is the glide path that the ILS 'projects' for landing and the arrow is where you should touch down when following the guide line.

The purpose is so map makers are able to see where the ILS glide path lies, to place it where they need it; normally the touch-down marks of a runway.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

To merge two sceneries: Save your two sceneries as FLD files, then in one file, File->Import Scenery, and browse to the FLD/choose a position to place it. Then move and rotate the inserted child scenery to where you need it to be. Finally you can collapse into the root using Edit->Transfer to another scenery->Current item to root.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AdityaB »

OfficerFlake wrote:To merge two sceneries: Save your two sceneries as FLD files, then in one file, File->Import Scenery, and browse to the FLD/choose a position to place it. Then move and rotate the inserted child scenery to where you need it to be. Finally you can collapse into the root using Edit->Transfer to another scenery->Current item to root.
Thank you sir :)
but isnt that to import two sceneries? :)

i need to rotate the whole scenery as it was when downloaded to correct its orientation, bringing all into one pink box, is the only possiblilty to do it, i think :?
pinkbox.png
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility