YSAV Digest

Screenshots, videos, replays, & more
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: YSAV Digest

Post by Neocon »

I'm writing an article on how to make a basic ground object. Would that be useful for the tips section?
PilotC
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: _

Post by PilotC »

Patrick31337 wrote:I'm writing an article on how to make a basic ground object. Would that be useful for the tips section?
As someone trying to learn ground objects, this kind of stuff would be awesome to have included.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Patrick31337 wrote:I'm writing an article on how to make a basic ground object. Would that be useful for the tips section?
Yes, Shoot it to me once you're done with it.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

Cool idea!

About 8 years ago in the YSPilots community we had the "YSPilots E-Magazine" made by H3csc: http://yspilots-e-magazine.page.tl/Home.htm

Check it out, you might get some inspiration from it. It only lasted about 5 issues due to a lack of editorial support, so I would recommend making sure that the community does most of the writing so the majority of it is not on any single person. Looks like you've already gotten started with some of that.
I make this website.
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

Wow Eric, i forgot about that thing!
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I'm mainly doing most of the articles because:
A. I have a lot to write about
and
B. I want to try and get this off the ground.
PilotC
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: _

Post by PilotC »

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:Yeah, I'm mainly doing most of the articles because:
A. I have a lot to write about
and
B. I want to try and get this off the ground.
I think Eric's suggestion is wise in that allowing the community to write and express themselves will give a broad view and perspective of the community and what we do.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

Exactly, and by no means am I trying to deny any of you that. I'm doing most of the writing work to so I can get it started and see if I can make it last longer than it's predecessor.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

One person writing more in this one issue to help jump start it is okay for the pilot issue. Like Nodoka has stated, getting guest/other recurring authors to contribute will help in the long run, but these sometimes have a long lead time for creative and editing processes.

I just thought of another topic that might be interesting. Perhaps a history of YSFlight/ YSFHQ? could an interview with Iceman be possible? How about Soji?

My workplace does a monthly newsletter. Included in that is usually a management blerb, recent events, interview with someone interesting (lots of characters in the office) and organized events. Perhaps adds for the various HQ groups could be included and be appropriately matched to the theme of the issue? What if a member of the admin team had a short (few paragraphs) about something admin-ish related?
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

decaff_42 wrote: I just thought of another topic that might be interesting. Perhaps a history of YSFlight/ YSFHQ? could an interview with Iceman be possible? How about Soji?
The History of YSFlight has been something that has interested me for ages, and given I can gather enough information (Not many resources or people left from the early days), I could make a special issue, as this would be the most feasible activity.
decaff_42 wrote:Included in that is usually a management blerb, recent events, interview with someone interesting (lots of characters in the office) and organized events. Perhaps adds for the various HQ groups could be included and be appropriately matched to the theme of the issue? What if a member of the admin team had a short (few paragraphs) about something admin-ish related?
YSAV DIgest isn't supposed to be a strictly YSFHQ Newsletter as it's a GrunSol publication (Not to say that it's not heavily oriented around the site, It is.), but a general advert message "PSA" would be acceptable for us admins to create and submit every season. as for Groups submitting Ads, that's already a option. the YS Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and SARF have submitted inquiries about or already given us advertisements. There's 13 spaces left if anyone wants to take them.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

This magazine was sold as a community piece and is now a straight piece of squadron propaganda. Saying that the articles submitted by many of the aero community are "advertisements" is obscene and offensive.

They put a lot of work and effort and want them as articles for the interest of the community, not "advertisements".

I will in no way endorse contributing in this magazine as involvement by our aero community is only considered filler.

Because this is your project Nodoka, you are free to do as you please but I don't think we will be participating.
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:dedicated to bi-seasonal recaps of events in the community, as well as general information about the Game such as tips for combat, modding and even interesting stories from real life aviation, as well as other news that is relevant to aviation.
Nodoka Hanamura wrote:YSAV DIgest isn't supposed to be a strictly YSFHQ Newsletter as it's a GrunSol publication
It seems like how you said it. it was for community project. not your combat squad stuff. so yea...
I'm out for this as of this time
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:YSAV Digest is a Project of GrunSolutions' Media Division dedicated to bi-seasonal recaps of events in the community, as well as general information about the Game such as tips for combat, modding and even interesting stories from real life aviation, as well as other news that is relevant to aviation.
and
Nodoka Hanamura wrote:Due to the size of the community, and due to GrunSolutions being the founding party for YSAV Digest, Conflict of interest will be present, however - we will strive to maintain objectivity as much as possible by telling both sides of the story.
I understood from the start that this is Nikki's project and Nikki was opening it up for others to join the fun.
Nodoka Hanamura wrote:Post feedback, comments and requests for slots and for features of the magazine below.
I think of it as a GrunSolutions newsletter with advertisements from other organizations and articles about YS and aviation from various contributors.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Scarecrow wrote:This magazine was sold as a community piece and is now a straight piece of squadron propaganda. Saying that the articles submitted by many of the aero community are "advertisements" is obscene and offensive.

They put a lot of work and effort and want them as articles for the interest of the community, not "advertisements".

I will in no way endorse contributing in this magazine as involvement by our aero community is only considered filler.

Because this is your project Nodoka, you are free to do as you please but I don't think we will be participating.

Well she did say that it was a grunsolutions project where nikki would try to write some articles without bias.

I mean are you guys surprised? It's says it in the first post?! It was pretty clear from the first post that it's not a community project? What made you think it was?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

I guess myself and a few others didn't read that part while skimming over the information and felt it represented otherwise with the title of "YSAV Digest". However, my stance still stands.

We in the YS Aero community try to represent YSFlight the best way possible, and with all the issues between squadrons and such lately, we simply do not wish to associate ourselves with such. It was of my and several others understanding that this was more of a community project.

No problem. Carry on.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Scarecrow wrote:with all the issues between squadrons and such lately, we simply do not wish to associate ourselves with such.
I wish to express my sincere appreciation for this sentance in particular. I feel much the same way.

I've been through generations of squad wars and drama and honestly it just takes a toll on the community more than anyone else.

No one wins squad wars. We all lose.

There's a reason I'm just watching from the sidelines right now, but don't anger a sleeping giant so to say. ;)

My YSFing lately is just developing for OpenYS and the like - it's what I enjoy and it's how I contribute around here. Sorry if I'm not active enough in VFA-49 and etc - it's by choice sometimes.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

Okay, Time Out for a sec.

I have to agree 100% with what Flake Said.

I understand and realize now, that having GrunSol involved in this as actively as It would, is harmful to YSAVD and to the community, and I wholeheartedly agree and sympathize. I'm more than willing to help try and limit bias as well as help reverse the decisions made by those in the YS Aerobatic community to withdraw. Given recent events, and to quote the name of my first article, Rising Tensions between VFA-49 and GrunSol, this is the last thing we need.

From this point forward, I'm looking for a "Council" to consist of the key contributors, editors and other roles in the magazine:

Two from Combat, Preferably Me and someone from VFA-49 to counterbalance.
Two from CivAv. Preferably two VA CEOs.
Two from Aerobatics - Preferably Coop and Scarecrow, as they were highly unfond of this to begin with and implore them to help me set things right.
And Two unaffiliated users - Some to help with the independent part of things.

I realize that this was the wrong way to go about getting this project I wanted to share and collaborate on with the community (Yes, a Community project.)

I'm dropping GrunSol from this as a whole, and want to say what I said before - I want to try my best to mitigate conflict of interest. I'll be heavily vetting anything from VFA-49 or GrunSol, and asking for the support of this council to help me with this, as well as any other articles that may provide CoIs, or other biases and issues. I don't want to paint anyone in a bad light. I never had intention to. I never had intention to cause division, but unfortunately through my ignorance to the underlying issues, have failed to realize that at the very start, and I apologize.

However, I will make it blunt (But not to the point of blinding): There WILL BE COIs. There are always COIs in this community and communities like it - Due to their size. I want to alert you that although COIs aren't good in media, at least mitigating them or making the public aware of them is what I will strive to do, and will where possible make aware of COIs.

For instance, Say Patrick were to do a piece on YSBRA Group. I would paste at the beginning of his article something along the lines of this:

Conflict of Interest notice: Patrick is a member of YSBRA Group.

This is not to shun Patrick or YSBRA or NCA or any other parties by any means for the CoI, but to make the reader more aware of what they're reading, and any possible bias that could be visible.

Edit: A little more clarification - It was mainly going to be a project assigned to our Civil Services Division - Where MahouAir lies in, a Media branch - I don't deny people joining GrunSol CS, I wouldn't care if anyone from VFA-49 joined, in fact, I'd welcome it. It shows that at the end of the day, we can put behind our differences in military affairs and be friends. Civil Services and the PMC are two sides of the coin - One is our Public, more community-oriented division, whereas the other is our Military group. This was always going to be, and always will be a Community project, just with a GrunSol Media/YSFHQ logo attached to the bottom (With proper legalese to keep eric and wingz from running after me :lol:, such as stating that YSFHQ is used out of reference to community involvement and the administration and Owners of HQ in no way shape or form endorses YSAVD.) However, I may or may not keep it this way, but more or less have the GrunSol Media Logo and YSFHQ logo as reference to involvement, as it originally was, and run it as a Community Project.
ZyreaxGaming_YT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: mc-21 (Commercial), A-7 (Military), Co50 (Private)

Post by ZyreaxGaming_YT »

Are all slots taken or can I do an article on the Lake Beuna Vista STOLport at Walt Disney World in Florida?
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~ John F. Kennedy
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

ZyreaxGaming_YT wrote:Are all slots taken or can I do an article on the Lake Beuna Vista STOLport at Walt Disney World in Florida?
There's no more slots in RL News, but I guess I can allocate two more.
ZyreaxGaming_YT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: mc-21 (Commercial), A-7 (Military), Co50 (Private)

Post by ZyreaxGaming_YT »

Awesome, is it OK if Include info on Shawnee Airlines, KDWS primary operator. It too is defunct.
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~ John F. Kennedy