Polygon Issues

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Polygon Issues

Post by Alpha Star » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:59 pm

My recent models are having polygon problems. It seems the set smooth function is only working on parts of the model. For example here is my Learjet.
My process is:
Select the part > Edit mode > Select all > Mesh > Faces > Set Smooth
Is this correct?
I know it works for some parts, for example on my recent model, the RV8, you can see some of it has smoothed but not all.
This is the only thing holding my models back at the moment.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: Polygon Issues

Post by NightRaven » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:01 am

The 2 things I can think of is that 1) the entire model is filled with doubles or 2) you set the entire model to have Ys double faces. Generally you can fix 1) by selecting all and pressing W -> Remove Doubles, then exiting Edit Mode but keeping the object selected, click Set Smooth. This will cause major shadowing issues though, so apply the Edgesplit modifier as required. Fixing 2) would be to select all faces and going to YS face mode and clicking on Double Faces such that it becomes deselected.

Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Still having the problem, however the parts that had set smooth before, are no longer. Any other ideas?
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:44 pm

If it was something I was working on, I would open the .srf in gepolyo and use Edit > Round all vertex. If there were shadow problems I would use unshadow.pl.

I know there is a shadow fixer in Blender. Is there an option to round multiple vertices? I bet the vertexes are all square.

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Patrick31337 wrote:If it was something I was working on, I would open the .srf in gepolyo and use Edit > Round all vertex. If there were shadow problems I would use unshadow.pl.

I know there is a shadow fixer in Blender. Is there an option to round multiple vertices? I bet the vertexes are all square.
In Blender NO any "rounded or square vertices", and for this meaning there ARE "smoothed or flat vertices"!
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (.PDF) | updated 2017/05/03

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)