YSFHQ Flight Logging - All VA managers and pilots please comment

Do you like the idea of a YSFHQ flight logging system?

No, I would not use it.
5%
Yes, I would use it.
84%
Yes, but I have concerns.
11%

Total votes: 19

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

YSFHQ Flight Logging - All VA managers and pilots please comment

Post by Neocon »

I thought I would make a topic here about what we on the admin team have been discussing. Ever since the certifications were discontinued, I've been thinking of a community-wide flight logging form that will allow everyone to log any sort of flight and the log will be publicly viewable so VAs can use it to keep up with their flights and to see the activities of applicants. It might even make it easier to award certifications again.

Several VAs already use some sort of flight logging form, usually powered by Google, to record flights for their VA. My idea is to have a form that would be available for all VA pilots, as well as independent pilots whose flights are not representative of any VA. VA managers would be able to keep up with their own pilots, and also compare the activity of all participating VAs. Pilots would be able to compare their flight time with those of other YS pilots. This could provide some competition, be it official or unofficial, between airlines and pilots, although such competition would be strictly

My proposed form would ask for the following information:
YSFHQ username
Aircraft flown
Name of VA or Squad, if any
Map name
Airport of origin
Airport destination
Time in flight

A concern brought up by u2fly was privacy related to using an off-site form host, namely Google, which has a reputation of using information for other-than-obvious purposes. If anyone knows of an alternative that could be maintained through the forum, I am very interested in hearing about it.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: YSFHQ Flight Logging - All VA managers and pilots please comment

Post by Midnight Rambler »

I'd seriously consider joining a VA if something like this was put in place. When the first one came out with certification, VAs were extremely popular and activity was huge. Hell, even VAs were starting their own servers!
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet »

Love it.
When we have YSFHQ Certificates for VAs, etc. I was more "excited" to fly on VAs ... :lol: :roll:
YSFan
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Airbus A380, Saab 340, Lockheed L1011, NAMC YS-11

Post by YSFan »

Could we have a unified phpVMS system as well?
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by lorDuckFeet »

YSFan wrote:Could we have a unified phpVMS system as well?
This will work properly for Virtual Airlines on other platforms like FSX, X-Plane, etc. Also using Phpvms we will need a hosting, and as well a the aircraft and routes. So it's going be a little hard do setup everything. As Patrick said, we best use Google forms.
Every civilian people here can put the departure and arrival without lost time on searching.

I forgot to mention, the DEP and ARR, as well the aircraft codes will be from ICAO or full name? Them will be a free box to possibilite us wrote the respective names?
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star »

This is a cool idea. It reminds me of something from a while ago. The server list would show you how many hours you have flown on ys based on your username. Been a while and I cant remember exactly how it worked, but use something like this. Put [NCA] or whatever your tag on flights you want to log, thus that username is building hours. Then change it back when you dont want to be logged.
:EDIT:
Or if you want to keep your tag. Add something else to it like - [VFA-131]Alpha Star(logged)
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by lorDuckFeet »

You made me remember of 42 South Server. Besides being one of best servers of YSFlight (this server made civilians and military come together, as well a lot of aircrafts and players) MR have an website that register everything from player's total flying hours, aircraft's total hours, a page for VA economy based on its activities, oh damn, a lot of features. RIP 42South Server.

Nowadays we have the 187 who still have a lot of activity, and where we have civilian and military flying on.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

MAX406 wrote:MR have an website that register everything from player's total flying hours, aircraft's total hours, a page for VA economy based on its activities, oh damn, a lot of features.
That was the old YS servers page, which died a year or so ago. I believe it was made by vince, and worked in conjuction with YSChat.
ZyreaxGaming_YT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: mc-21 (Commercial), A-7 (Military), Co50 (Private)

Post by ZyreaxGaming_YT »

I think this would be great, however we need to start moving the community towards VA's. I'm not sure if this is just me, but I feel a lot more attention is obviously drawn to the military community, which is fine, but we need to either redirect people to join VA's or convince them to do both. Long story short, my verdict is we need to expand the Commercial community before something like this will thrive. I don't think we could keep up with each other considering a bulk of the VA's have a shortage of pilots and many routes. I guess one way we could adjust this is either, the obvious and first choice, to expand a pilot roster, or to slim our route maps. I do, however, like the concepts of increasing competition and utilizing a unified logging system, which I feel is long overdue. Once we expand the Commercial community, this will hopefully thrive. Other than that, I think this is a great idea and I really have to give the admin team some credit for coming up with these ideas that continue to enhance the YSFlight community.
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~ John F. Kennedy
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star »

HQ is acctually quite evenly split. The thing is there are so many VAs. If there was only 1 or 2 VAs they would be quite big. But thats part of the fun, running your own. There is enough demand I think.
In the past YS goes through phases. Years ago the aerobatic community ruled supreme. 1 year there were was an airshow every couple months, several aerobatic teams. But now its died off a bit. Airlines were also massive one year, several successful airlines with pilot racking up hundreds of hours.
Before that combat was the main YS community. And I suspect we will go through phases. But if you work to make the Civ side stronger, it can be done.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.
C P
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18E SuperHornet

Post by C P »

[quote="That was the old YS servers page, which died a year or so ago. I believe it was made by vince, and worked in conjuction with YSChat."[/quote]

Used to enjoy it very much.
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by lorDuckFeet »

NightRaven wrote:
MAX406 wrote:MR have an website that register everything from player's total flying hours, aircraft's total hours, a page for VA economy based on its activities, oh damn, a lot of features.
That was the old YS servers page, which died a year or so ago. I believe it was made by vince, and worked in conjuction with YSChat.
I don't have any idea about the history of the page, until now.
Thank you NightRaven for correct-me.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

MAX406 wrote:You made me remember of 42 South Server. Besides being one of best servers of YSFlight (this server made civilians and military come together, as well a lot of aircrafts and players) MR have an website that register everything from player's total flying hours, aircraft's total hours, a page for VA economy based on its activities, oh damn, a lot of features. RIP 42South Server.

Nowadays we have the 187 who still have a lot of activity, and where we have civilian and military flying on.
Thanks so much for the kind words! I really enjoyed running the server and glad you liked it as well!

NightRaven wrote:
Tada! http://marcjeanmougin.free.fr/ys_servers/

Seems like the FASTA server still runs YSChat. I'd love an updated version of this page but Vince is MIA. Some really awesome data on there!
KM6BZH
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Mitsubishi Zero

Post by KM6BZH »

Actually, I have been working on a google forms for the unified logging system for Nation's Alliance. I can change some of that.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Midnight Rambler wrote:I'd seriously consider joining a VA if something like this was put in place. When the first one came out with certification, VAs were extremely popular and activity was huge. Hell, even VAs were starting their own servers!
I'm not sure how much you've been keeping track but there has been a fairly large resurgence in VA interest and activity. Sure, there have been some that left (like Fast Airways VA) but on the whole, VAs are riding another wave again.
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by lorDuckFeet »

So we're will be using Google Forms, i would love if someone put this in action.
KM6BZH
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Mitsubishi Zero

Post by KM6BZH »

I'm working on this! It will be available later in this month, if all the VA managers allow this to happen. I'm going to need to make a special website for it, listing all the VAs too.
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by lorDuckFeet »

KM6BZH wrote:I'm working on this! It will be available later in this month, if all the VA managers allow this to happen. I'm going to need to make a special website for it, listing all the VAs too.
That's a great news @KM6BZH, i just want to say that you are allowed to put Mahou Air's informations and logo on the website & flight logging,
Thanks.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Here is what I've got. This is a community-wide system independent of individual VAs or alliances.

======================================

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

Midnight Rambler wrote: Tada! http://marcjeanmougin.free.fr/ys_servers/

Seems like the FASTA server still runs YSChat. I'd love an updated version of this page but Vince is MIA. Some really awesome data on there!
And currently I'm, in couple with @decaff_42, working on next generation of YSFlight ATC Radar here:
>>> viewtopic.php?p=103106#p103106
But still need help with connector Python scripting
>>> viewtopic.php?p=96843#p96843

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)