YSFlight 20170314 Test Version (UPDATED)

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

YSFlight 20170314 Test Version (UPDATED)

Post by u2fly »

UPDATE: Please, use 20170314 test version, since 20170313 test version.

Soji Yamakawa released next test version of YSFlight 20170314!
DOWNLOAD - http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/y ... tvere.html

So propose collect all bugs related to this version in current topic.
--
Here is discussion by @utachy & @fly_neet that include some feedback on test version 20170313 (in Japanese)
>>> https://twitter.com/fly_neet/status/841 ... 02/photo/1
P.S.: If some of you could translate it to English, please, post translation in comments in this topic too
Last edited by u2fly on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodsantos
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt II

Re: YSFlight 20170313 Test Version

Post by rodsantos »

If anyone's tried it, is there anything new?
"And he lit up like a Christmas tree."
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

Disappointment.
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Zack wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 amDisappointment.
The disappointment of waiting two years and only getting new shadows and more lag?
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Re: YSFlight 20170314 Test Version (UPDATED)

Post by u2fly »

xX_SuperSic58_Xx wrote:I gave it a quick look. The new shadows are very nice indeed but apart from that not much new happening in the YSF front end department. I wonder what Soji changed behind the scenes...
Yeah, nothing global changes.
And OpenGL 1.x version now looks much worse.
According change log there is only one bugfix really needed
Soji Yamakawa wrote:Calculate transformation matrices in CPU in double precision. This substantially reduces the shaking effect when the view point is far away from the origin without much performance penalty. By the way, in early days, a major misunderstanding was that the matrix calculation was taking much of the computation in graphics. It was wrong. Z-Buffering was the major headache around 1990 to 2000.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

My apologies for this rant, but this update won't even start for me so I'm sure I will never move to a different version anymore. I really want to hang onto YSFlight but Soji is making it almost impossible for any of us to enjoy it. I personally think 2012 & 2014 were the greatest versions before he took this program and completely drove it into the ground. There's no saving YS and I'm sure all of us know that he couldn't give two sh-ts about releasing the source. With that said, I'm more than likely switching to another flight sim because of this one's creator whenever I get an upgraded machine.

I'm not dealing with anymore disappointing updates, even if they're test versions. Usually when a stable version comes out literally nothing changes, so why bother? I think I'm good with my older versions, thank you.
Deleted User 2433

That and why have a thread devoted to nothing but ideas as to what we want YS to have next when it'll be ignored.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

Since the 2015 version, frame rates have went down the drain.

I can run DCS and FSX on higher frames than the newer versions of YSFLIGHT. IL-2 and some other simulators on excellently high graphic settings, too. Why should I suffer on less than 30 frames on a game that has sub-par graphics?

It's not about the graphics, it's about functionality (think Minecraft). The game has lost it's functionality because of these random updates that don't help anything with the usability of the game

"Let's get better shadows" said no one ever. Sorry, but this is the truth.
Last edited by Scarecrow on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Scarecrow wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm"Let's get better shadows" said no one ever. Sorry, but this is the truth.
Technically, I did :|
viewtopic.php?p=84733#p84733

But the implementation here is primitive at best; it's not perfect. I also agree that YS needs a reboot. Clearly, having a solo developer with several more demanding commitments churn out an official half fked update less than once a year is not sustainable. We need someone like Flake on the source code who actually is willing and able to work on the things that desperately need to be addressed before moving on to more potentially bugged features.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

NightRaven wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 am
Scarecrow wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm"Let's get better shadows" said no one ever. Sorry, but this is the truth.
Technically, I did :|
viewtopic.php?p=84733#p84733

But the implementation here is primitive at best; it's not perfect. I also agree that YS needs a reboot. Clearly, having a solo developer with several more demanding commitments churn out an official half fked update less than once a year is not sustainable. We need someone like Flake on the source code who actually is willing and able to work on the things that desperately need to be addressed before moving on to more potentially bugged features.
I stand corrected, haha. But yes, I totally agree with you.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

NightRaven wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 amWe need someone like Flake on the source code
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Kujo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:47 pm My apologies for this rant, but this update won't even start for me so I'm sure I will never move to a different version anymore. I really want to hang onto YSFlight but Soji is making it almost impossible for any of us to enjoy it. I personally think 2012 & 2014 were the greatest versions before he took this program and completely drove it into the ground. There's no saving YS and I'm sure all of us know that he couldn't give two sh-ts about releasing the source. With that said, I'm more than likely switching to another flight sim because of this one's creator whenever I get an upgraded machine.

I'm not dealing with anymore disappointing updates, even if they're test versions. Usually when a stable version comes out literally nothing changes, so why bother? I think I'm good with my older versions, thank you.
+1. As for me latest usable version is 20150425 (OpenGL 1.x), that include major changes like new usefull DAT variables, new instruments on panel, etc.

Let's make a petition "Open sourcecode of YSFlight 20150425" addressed to Soji Yamakawa!
>>> https://www.change.org/start-a-petition

Really, I think, its the only way we can keep YSFlight away from this degradation...
>>> viewtopic.php?f=137&t=9163

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

If you really want a top notch simulator go and buy MFS or Xplane(no shame, i use flight gear and xplane). Theyre gobbed with features and have hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars dumped in development. So you cant really Expect much from an old geezer and his lil coding project.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Like the captain has said, his main goal from YSF is learning. We're just along for the ride.
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

I'll be off that ride if I feel that YS is no longer tolerable or enjoyable. Pretty soon we'll be flying on a Sim with a max frame rate for everybody at 20 fps, with little to no enhancements people want, and others that nobody asked for. I respect that Soji is continuously learning about coding from making this game but let's be real here. More and more people are going to drop off of this sim as time passes, and those who wish to hang on are heading towards a dead end. I can only do about two more years of this before I can handle it no more, but everybody can do what they want. I'm not saying it is or isn't a great idea to expect better things from YS but I personally think that Soji's already hammering the last nails in the coffin. I could do other things besides watch that happen.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

I get that Soji wants to practice his coding, but have a separate spin off project to do that in - don't break the program you've been working on for years by introducing new code - keep it pure.
flyer17
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: boeing 787 dreamliner

Post by flyer17 »

here's a bug on the shadow of the ground objects and in the map preview the airplanes glitch very weird :x
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

It's a little disappointing that being burned by MS and direct X 9 has made Soji so cynical. He doesn't want to look into new API's like Vulkan. The problem is the API he's using, old versions of Open GL, have too much overhead. I do understand he doesn't want to drop compatibility for people running XP *shudder* or just old hardware that doesn't support newer versions of OpenGL.

Here's my solution. Stop changing the network version, or at least implement Sic's method of allowing the server to determine the network code to run. Make sure network features like dat files work all the same regardless of graphical version. This way people can use graphically "older" versions of the game while benefiting from all the new gameplay features.

TL;DR

Update older versions of ys (2012, 2013, 2015 etc) to support new gameplay, especially online. Let people choose what YS graphics they want (or able to) run.

Personally I'd just release 2 versions of YS every "gameplay" update. Latest graphics and compatibility mode
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Deleted User 2433

Vic Viper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm stuff
that has to be the best idea i've heard, i second this.