Mach 5!!!!!! O.O

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Vx_Lotus
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A

Mach 5!!!!!! O.O

Post by Vx_Lotus »

I have a jet that is an old topic because it was of questionable use in the past but had low performance. I have been working on the concept of the this plane but gave it a different name to to copyright. So my question for the "Public" is, "If you could fly a plane that goes mach 5, highly maneuverable, and use it in multiplayer, would you?" Since a plane of this speed and agility is possible. "What kind of limits should it have?".
Deleted User 2433

Re: Mach 5!!!!!! O.O

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Vx_Lotus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 am I have a jet that is an old topic because it was of questionable use in the past but had low performance. I have been working on the concept of the this plane but gave it a different name to to copyright. So my question for the "Public" is, "If you could fly a plane that goes mach 5, highly maneuverable, and use it in multiplayer, would you?" Since a plane of this speed and agility is possible. "What kind of limits should it have?".
A few months ago GrunSol used an aircraft named Cygnus, it was capable of dogfighting and flying at near hypersonic speeds. This was OP in nature so I came up with a G-limiter using some dat variables of the 2015 version of YSFlight. At a set speed it would lose enough agility that it would not be able to go over around 10g's. The G-limiter is still in use on some planes but the Cygnus itself is kind of a bad omen with the community due to it's cheaty nature.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

Vx_Lotus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 am"If you could fly a plane that goes mach 5, highly maneuverable, and use it in multiplayer, would you?"
Allow me to introduce you to SARF/NEO/GrunSol and all the others out there. This has been a thing for some time haha
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

VNAF ONE wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:27 am
Vx_Lotus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 am"If you could fly a plane that goes mach 5, highly maneuverable, and use it in multiplayer, would you?"
Allow me to introduce you to SARF/NEO/GrunSol and all the others out there. This has been a thing for some time haha
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Vx_Lotus

Post by Vx_Lotus »

--- I just want to make the fastest, most agile, yet realistic plane anyone has ever had the luxury of flying in YS history. Share it.. move on with a story to tell.

My reason for asking is this. Some of us have found that the sr71 is capable of faster than mach 3+ IRL and when tested in other games it is faster. Based on the data we gathered. The sr71 is closer to:

TOP SPEED:
3034.15553 Mile/Hour (mph) = 4883 km / h, it = 4.59721 MACH (is based on real life jet top speed)
8.91668 Mach = 9471 km / h (happened during a test flight at a level aggression)

So if the file were to be modified, it would actually be close to 6.3 MACH based on IRL average.
However as VNAF ONE said:

"This has been a thing for some time haha"

referencing groups that have some planes capable of hitting mach 4 such as the UPEO Su43.
(NOT TO BE condescending here.)
However I have yet to see a .dat file inside (ANY) YS craft capable of Mach 5. (Don't have "Cygnus" file)
Furthermore....

*Inside the .dat files there is an option to change max speed and cruise speed.
I feel it is only necessary to make such changes as these, because even fictional aircraft must have limits when deciding to use them for multiplayer purposes up to and including balance for everyone.
That being said, "YS flight needs to have almost every plane updated to realistic stats."

(OR here)

So I ask again, If you could fly a balanced" Mach 5+, maneuverable plane, IE: vectored thrust at low speeds, amazing acceleration, ect.. What kind of limits should it have?
Vx_Lotus

Post by Vx_Lotus »

Such as the: "Number 1: North American X-15 This aircraft has the current world record for the fastest manned aircraft. Its maximum speed was mach 6.70 (about 7,200 km/h)"
Followed by "Number 2: Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird"
Summed up with Number 3: Lockheed YF-12. This jet was an American interceptor prototype with a top speed of mach 3.35.
http://www.migflug.com/jetflights/the-1 ... world.html
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

Fly the R/F-12, either the 49th flavor or the SARF flavor. Ours can get close to Mach 5 (high alt only) but it's realistic in turning. SARF's can go a little bit faster and can drop bombs.

Making an aircraft fly at mach 5 and have a turn radius less than the east coast of the USA isn't good for online play.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

The more futuristic squads have high speed and agile planes. But like everyone here has already made cleared. Alot of the community doesn't like it.

Imo you should all adopt the way of the civie, low and slow baby. Low and slow.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Judah14
Favorite Aircraft: VF-31A Kairos

Post by Judah14 »

The variable fighters (fighters that could transform into mecha) from the VFX Pack could easily reach Mach 5 and are very agile. However they are designs from the Macross science fiction anime franchise and are overkill against 'realistic' aircraft.
Shipbucket.com - a database of uniformly-scaled ship drawings
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

Barracuz wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm The more futuristic squads have high speed and agile planes. But like everyone here has already made cleared. Alot of the community doesn't like it.

Imo you should all adopt the way of the civie, low and slow baby. Low and slow.
Is that why fictional models aren't liked because they don't adhere to real life or are not based off real aircraft? Does that mean that the community prefers the same ideal of "the more realistic the better" mentality of FSX and other sims?

I'm generally curious as to why is this a thing. I get that overkill DATs are one thing but disliking an fictional models because it looks like it's a cheat plane based on other aircraft released seems a little unfair.
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

No no Monoceros, you've got it wrong. The community has always loved fictional models. The issues arise if:

A) They are abused by rouge players online to harass others...
B) They are pitted against more "stock realistic" aircraft in squadron v squadron battles

An addon's visual style matters not, and many people here have their own distinct visual preferences anyway. A good example is Bombcat. Sci Fi designs like Darkness cranks out are not his preference, but he appreciates the quality of the work and design.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Vic Viper wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm The community has always loved fictional models.
I guess you could also ask if you intend to use it for squadron work at all. OTMP was a macross pack that could recharge its fuel and every other OP thing in the book but it was never used for an official squadron (that I know of at least). In general, if it's not going to be used by a squad you can make a flying ramen noodle that goes mach 69 and you'll be fine, but the minute you put that thing in a squadron it will cause issues because squads like (rightfully so) to have similar performance between their planes to bring a fight to more of a skill vs skill battle rather than who has the better plane.

Hope that at least helps a little bit.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Swift wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Vic Viper wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm The community has always loved fictional models.
I guess you could also ask if you intend to use it for squadron work at all. OTMP was a macross pack that could recharge its fuel and every other OP thing in the book but it was never used for an official squadron (that I know of at least). In general, if it's not going to be used by a squad you can make a flying ramen noodle that goes mach 69 and you'll be fine, but the minute you put that thing in a squadron it will cause issues because squads like (rightfully so) to have similar performance between their planes to bring a fight to more of a skill vs skill battle rather than who has the better plane.

Hope that at least helps a little bit.
.... Unless you match up against a similar squadron. I'd love to see two WW2 ear squadrons form and fight each other, while the current era ones keep to themselves.
KM6BZH
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Mitsubishi Zero

Post by KM6BZH »

Vic Viper wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am Fly the R/F-12, either the 49th flavor or the SARF flavor. Ours can get close to Mach 5 (high alt only) but it's realistic in turning. SARF's can go a little bit faster and can drop bombs.

Making an aircraft fly at mach 5 and have a turn radius less than the east coast of the USA isn't good for online play.
And them there is 4AW's SU-34 with its slow speed... Mach 1 when diving from 30000ft.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

This topic again? I love this show!

Ramblers idea is good. Go with it!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

Midnight Rambler wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pmI'd love to see two WW2 ear squadrons form and fight each other,
I do remember a couple ww2 squads a few years ago, it was cool back then, it would be cool to see it again.
Vx_Lotus

Post by Vx_Lotus »

Swift wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pmI guess you could also ask if you intend to use it for squadron work at all.
The intention is to make it for everyone. But I love these answers guys keep them coming please. More information on stuff like combat abilities, maneuverability (TVC "Thrust vectoring" limits) , speed (anything over true mach 5) , weapon types, guns? no guns? Quick roll but bad Pushover? the opposite? let me know guys. We are kind of going on a rule of thumb, the more towards the one thing equals a better chance that it will be changed as such with variants of other ideas. Love all the feedback. Thank you.