.:[Characteristics "Real" of the airplanes]:.

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
ZaurixAiprax
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D, F-5E, SU-35 and A-4AR

.:[Characteristics "Real" of the airplanes]:.

Post by ZaurixAiprax »

I have a doubt that I have since I started with YSflight, that a few minutes ago a fellow Pilot of S.A.R.F mentioned as a theme.
Because YSflight aircraft do not contain the real-life features, it's supposed to be a simulator right?
So this is known by the Modifiers, because it is not applied to dat. Of the files of the airplanes?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
.:[Special Armed Response Force]:.
◄ ZλURiX ► - Ex General Resource Leadder
Deleted User 2433

Re: .:[Characteristics "Real" of the airplanes]:.

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

The problem is when you make a plane in YS fly "realistically" it stands no chance against stock planes which are the benchmark for over half the squadrons in YS

one fantastic example is whitewolf's F-14's and umaibow's F-15's, they behave as close to real life as ys will allow, but in a fight with a stock plane it takes a miracle to win against it (it being a stock plane) XD
m88youngling
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: R-9A Arrowhead - F-16C Rainbow Falcon

Post by m88youngling »

Makes me laugh because it demonstrates how boring air combat must be to watch in real life, and how helpless a pilot must feel when they are turning so slowly, but I guess if your opponent is also that slow maybe it doesn't matter lol

that's a different discussion, so I won't digress to far into that. I agree with Swift, but moreso because fast paced dogfighting is much more fun.
SARF Executive Officer (2IC)
[email protected]
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I'd like to jump in here and offer my two-cents as a modder. I am not as experienced with DAT File modification as some other members, but I have learned a few things along the way. ;)

(1) YSFlight Accuracy
YSFlight offers a decent set of parameters with which model aircraft performance, however they are not perfect. Often aircraft must sacrifice realism in some areas of the aircraft's flight regime in order to make others more accurate.

Let me use the example of my F-35B model. This aircraft has the largest range of operating speeds I have yet made. It needs to operate down low and slow and also perform at supersonic speeds. I have tailored this dat file primarily for operating under 20,000 ft and less than 400 knots indicated Air Speed in order to simulate the down-low A2G role the F-35B is supposed to have in actual operation. This means that above this speed, the full back stick will result in more g than the aircraft can pull in real life. By specifying on-the-deck max speed to be about Mach 1, I had to set the critical and max mach numbers at a specific value. In a dive from high altitude the F-35B will exceed Mach 1.7, even though the real aircraft is supposed to have a top speed of Mach 1.6. In order to have any sort of realistic G performance at higher altitudes, even though generally you can get to the black screen, I had to limit the max input alpha. Even though the real aircraft is supposed to go to 50 AoA, I limit the input to 30 AoA.

You can also look at Umailbow's F-15s. As I recall (his updated pack may have fixed some of this) they are tailored to higher altitude and speeds. Down low they max out at Mach 0.8-0.9 and at most pull 3-5g instead of the 9 g they are capable of in real life.

(2) Simulation vs Real Life
Simulators will never perfectly emulate real life. Nature has way to many factors to account for everything perfectly. If I cannot precisely model heat flowing through a house wall, how much more complicated and impossible to accurately model do you think an airplane is? Look at how many variables and controls are available in other simulators like X Plane or FSX and then look at YSFlight. There is a vast difference in scope between these simulators, therefore the realism will be different as well.

YSFlight is not designed to be the most realistic simulator available. It is designed to be simple and easy to use (no 100 page user manuals here! :lol: ).
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^Well put decaff.
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

Swift wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 pm The problem is when you make a plane in YS fly "realistically" it stands no chance against stock planes which are the benchmark for over half the squadrons in YS

one fantastic example is whitewolf's F-14's and umaibow's F-15's, they behave as close to real life as ys will allow, but in a fight with a stock plane it takes a miracle to win against it (it being a stock plane) XD
It's why a certain "realism pack" released fails hard because the DATs are so terribly done that the AI doesn't know what to do with the numbers that the plane just falls out of the sky like a brick tossed out of a window.

I remember installing the pack and YS just gave up on the "realism" planes that a P-38, F-104 and F-16 had trouble staying in the air and in the end just gave up and they all ended up dropping like rocks without putting up a fight.