Airbase One Map Pack

Large packs consisting of more than one type of aircraft.
Grigor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Ball-Bartoe Jetwing

Airbase One Map Pack

Post by Grigor »

AB1.jpg
This is based on Soji's stock SMALL MAP, with a few extra ground targets and other objects to demonstrate the capabilities of Airbase One. It also includes the ground object Nuke_Target, at heading 300 from Airbase One, about 30 miles out. Drop a 500lb bomb on it and see what happens!

The Airbase vehicle is of course fictitious, presumably using some kind of anti-gravity device (perhaps those grey radiator-looking shapes either side of the hull?) Also not sure how the crew would stay upright in 120 knot (222 kmh) winds. It is armed with a turret firing gunpower 20 shells and air-to-ground rockets. This also covers air defence for the lower hemisphere. The upper hemisphere is defended by a Mad Colonel who takes pot shots at passing enemies with his Colt 45. Why not?
NOTE: The decks have no arresting wires. You have to touch down at about 125-130 knots with the wheelbrakes ON.
Both decks have their own ILS.

Download it here:
Airbase One Map Pack.zip
(442.68 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Thanks and credits:
To Soji for the SMALL MAP. Also to YSMajor... I based the deck crew and Mad Colonel on figures from your USS Ticonderoga model. I borrowed heavily from Soji's Gepard tank for the lesser-known TURRET commands.

Technical: DNMs, DATs and ACPs:
The Airbase is in 3 parts: Airbase_One (file AB1.) which is the main part of the model, Airbase_TD (file AB1_TD.) which is the top deck, and Airbase_IL (AB1_IL.) which is the green indicator light.
I felt the indicator light became necessary because the base can turn without warning, usually when you're just about to land. When the green light swings off centre, you have 10 seconds to either land or abort.

Erroneous Zones:
The top deck does a strange slide forward in the first instant of the game - probably the top deck hitting the collision mesh of the main deck. The carrier deck file is offset by some 20+ metres to compensate, as is the top deck start position. Trying to make a single deck with two levels caused planes to violently kick nose-up on takeoff.

Also, the Mad Colonel's gun arm is not aligned to the line of fire. For some reason I could never get the TURRETPT command to do what I wanted. I wanted his arm to be straight down at rest, and aimed true when firing. Can anyone else nut this out and make it work?

If installing in another scenery, I found it best to face all three objects to the north. The Indicator has to be Z+500m "up" from the other two. The motion path should begin at least another Z+50m beyond that. All three objects should use Motion Path Offset.

Let me know of any problems or issues. Have fun with it!
Richard Vo
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A380, JAS-39

Re: Airbase One Map Pack

Post by Richard Vo »

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing :D
The A380 is ahead of its time. With the resilient passenger traffic growth for times to come (reference from Airbus's Global Market Forecast), plus congested airports, the A380 could not be ignored.

By any chance if you have Instagram, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero and if you have Twitter, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero. Appreciate that!
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

Hell yeah! We needed more floating carriers. I tried that nuke target, saw a huge white/grey flash. This has potential : )

Now to try combining this with the 49th's fuel/air bombs ;)
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F5 A10 SR71

Post by plunderbird »

Vic Viper wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:17 pm Hell yeah! We needed more floating carriers. I tried that nuke target, saw a huge white/grey flash. This has potential : )
I saw the flash too. Tried again, and just got a normal burst. So I think it only works once. Amazing work!
Fliped out of the arena, again! :(
Grigor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grigor »

Yeah, it only works once. It's just a plain ordinary ground object with a huge collision mesh, and a HITRADIUS of 10000m. The NOSHADOW keyword prevents leaving a huge black mark before & after. You could make it bigger by adjusting the HITRADIUS keyword to simulate whatever megatonnage you like. Could be used for simulating different Cold War attack runs in an F-100... drop the Bomb and get outside the blast radius.

Glad you're liking it.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

Grigor wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:18 pm Yeah, it only works once. It's just a plain ordinary ground object with a huge collision mesh, and a HITRADIUS of 10000m. The NOSHADOW keyword prevents leaving a huge black mark before & after. You could make it bigger by adjusting the HITRADIUS keyword to simulate whatever megatonnage you like. Could be used for simulating different Cold War attack runs in an F-100... drop the Bomb and get outside the blast radius.

Glad you're liking it.
Oh, interesting variant of "MOAB in YSFlight".

But I know one more variant - using large collision for aircraft.
u2fly wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:20 am...
I currently test other way - making "MOAB bomb as aircraft", that will be dropped from start points placed on high altitude.
Using some tricks with collision file (using very large flat circle shape), different CLA of aircraft in combination with few variables in the DAT-file...

Code: Select all

REM This is part of "moab.dat" file
HTRADIUS 500.0m     # Diameter of cicrcle shape in collision file
STRENGTH 10000      # Increase for guarantee to destroy all objects in covered area
GUNSIGHT FALSE      # Prevent interception by AAA and SAM
RADARCRS 0.01       # Make it stealth and prevent interception by AAM
REM Also need some other variables for better simulating
... its possible make something what really expected. Image
Image P.S.: Yeah, this MOAB would be different type of bombs in YSFlight, but using tricks, describeed in YSFlight Handbook, its possible make missions where MOAB dropping could be part of scenario; also it could be used in online games, standart missions, etc.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Grigor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grigor »

Hmmm. Food for thought.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

Grigor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 am Hmmm. Food for thought.
Also, its impossible to destroy one ground object by dropping on it another ground object; only if drop aircraft on it, then ground object will be destroyed.

Thats why, when try create MOAB for YSFlight, I decided make it as aircraft.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)