Organization on Painting

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Lucas_OR
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: All

Organization on Painting

Post by Lucas_OR » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello i would like to organize the logos/decals that i do, because actually my tree is a total mess :lol: , so i was looking to find a tutorial to make a Proper dnm/srf tree on Blender 2.49

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: Organization on Painting

Post by NightRaven » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 pm

You could have searched a little first.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=92
fk dis place kthxbai

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:53 pm

My suggestion is to only fork the tree when you have to. Things like landing gear need to fork so that each part is connected properly, of course.

I looked at Iceman's thread that NightRaven linked, but I don't know how much help that will be. I never attach things like control surfaces to anything as CLD parts. It just adds extra text, which adds extra file size, and does ZERO to make the model work.

Which is why I repeat, only fork the tree when you have to.

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 am

It's a personal choice on how to organise the dnm tree; personally I'd make everything children of the body srf. I do this for a few reasons: Blender reverses the dnm tree order whenever importing/exporting a dnm model, but making the body the parent keeps the order of the tree. It's also a lot easier to organise things, like making the wings the parent of wing control surfaces. So long as the main parent isn't being animated in a totally different way from its child parts, it isn't that big of a deal. Furthermore, it can help save on animating when decals overlap with control surfaces. Lastly, it helps prevent Z-Buffering errors when decals are shrinkwrapped extremely closely to the surface of the object it is being shrinkwrapped to, which is prevalent on the D3D exe.

I would believe the filesize increase from all the CLD lines is negligible, since the line is literally just "CLD name" for each child object, so unless you have thousands of child objects and/or long object names, savings would only be mere tens of kB.

But again, it is a personal choice.

Also, I am unsure on how to organise the dnm tree in Blender; I use DNMViewer for that and for animating.
fk dis place kthxbai

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 am

I agree that having all parts as children of the body is not bad, and is actually a good idea in general just because you can move everything together just by moving the body if you need to for some reason.

I was really talking about how, and I've only seen this a few times, where every part is a child to the part that came before it, so you have a parts stairway instead of a parts tree. :shock:

Let's say you have a logo on the tail and you cut the logo along the rudder. You will want the parts that move with the rudder to be children to the rudder.

Any time multiple parts move together (a rudder with a logo, ailerons with a wing, wheel with the landing gear), you will need to make those part of the main thing that is moving so you don't have to move all of the smaller parts. They will move automatically with their parent.

It is a little complicated, but practice helps, as you have already learned as you continually improve, Lucas.

Also, NightRaven is a better modder than me, so if he says I'm wrong listen to him. ;) [/serious]

Lucas_OR
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by Lucas_OR » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 am

That's a lot of things new to me. It's been a long time since my last encounter with Dnmviewer, if i'm not wrong the last one was to animate my experimental aircraft currently stoped - I've been close to Blender in my modding on these past years.

So far i did a proper naming, the parts before was with too much logo's name and others with the path.

As NR said it's a personnal choice, should i worry about my tree mess?

I kindly appreciate your help NightRaven and Patrick31337. Thank you very much.