Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

YSFlight 20170923 Test Version

Post by VNAF ONE »

Big news!

Very big visual updates to the game in the form of "smoke" for missiles, flares, and aerobatics! Also an option to reduce the impact of advanced options in YS that slow down potatoes!
CaptainYS wrote:Finally, I made one of the changes that I wanted to do for long time in YSFLIGHT test version. If use-particle option is turned on, YSFLIGHT draws smoke trails of airplanes and missiles with particles. I thik it looks pretty. On the other hand, I have received many comments that the current test version is too heavy for relatively-old PCs. In that case, by turning off use-particle option, YSFLIGHT substantially reduces particle usage. So, it should run as fast as the current stable version.

-photo by Zack

-GIF by Zack
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
fikrikawakibi
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Zephyr HAPS, ScanEagle, Citation X+, A340, 成都 歼-20

Re: YSFlight 20170923 Test Version

Post by fikrikawakibi »

Or use direkt 3d, works everytime
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet »

Very stunning. Thanks for let us know :)
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

CaptainYS wrote:
On the other hand, I have received many comments that the current test version is too heavy for relatively-old PCs. In that case, by turning off use-particle option, YSFLIGHT substantially reduces particle usage. So, it should run as fast as the current stable version.
The old test version ran "too heavy" on ridiculously powerful pc's as well. But I am happy to see he's addressing the problem, thank you Soji.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

That looks amazing.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

So the question is, does this version have atleast 40 fps without the particle smoke on?

I also wish he would address the viewpoint and connection issues as well, at some point. But progress is good!
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

Turbofan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:12 pm So the question is, does this version have atleast 40 fps without the particle smoke on?

I also wish he would address the viewpoint and connection issues as well, at some point. But progress is good!
Kujo, VNAF, and I spent quite a bit of time last night working with the new smoke. Surprisingly, the particle smoke makes very little difference to frames and we were very amazed by that. Obviously if you had 10+ smoke points it would cause some drop but even a six-ship formation didn't cause any issues talk about.

The particle .png's are totally customizeable, just like the ground tile so being able to actually improve the smoke is very possible. You could in theory make a lower resolution particle and perhaps it would provide better frames?

I sent an e-mail to CaptainYS last night with a variety of bugs. I also requested he restore the F6/F9 view points and perhaps giving us the 2012 netcode in the next release. We'll see. Here is a list of bugs we found.
- Aircraft dnm previews in game during “Choose Airplane” are messed up. Propellers are inside the airplanes, elevators up front, etc. This does not happen in game/flight.

- When using additional F1 cockpit views, it is now hiding parts of the view. This did not happen on previous versions. It appears YSFLIGHT’s view sits inside an invisible “box”, that if you get too close to an object parts of it disappear accordingly.

- The clouds on/off option does not work in Options>Config>Graphics. Clouds are always on regardless of chosen option.

- The new smoke particles “glow” in the night time.

- Considerable frame rate drop when looking at clouds. However, frame rate drop does not happen when looking at smoke. I have tested and confirmed this with several players.

- When in Direct3D, light direction seems to be triggered by moving around the external viewpoint. Let's say you had an external view (F8) and was looking at the tail. As you moved the view left/right it would make the tail go from dark to light shading though the aircraft has not made any directional changes.

- When in Direct3D, when flare or gun hits the ground - everything (ground texture, aircraft, ground objects) all flash white.

- When in Direct3D, player circles no longer feature username or speed differential. Simply only a circle. This is not an issue in OpenGL 1 or 2.
Krux
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: Super Bug

Post by Krux »

fikrikawakibi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 amOr use direkt 3d, works everytime
Direct3D is going to be removed in the 2017 stable version. Soji declared a while ago that the DirectX 9 API is too old.
Attention all squads, Freddy Fazbear is now being deployed
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

So I couldn't help but notice...
Soji wrote: On the other hand, I have received many comments that the current test version is too heavy for relatively-old PCs. In that case, by turning off use-particle option, YSFLIGHT substantially reduces particle usage. So, it should run as fast as the current stable version.
These were taken on a fresh build with everything in stock condition on an Intel I7-6700HQ.

18fps without particles...
30fps with particles...
(and do note that taking a screenshot will either cause a lag spike or an fps bump so i'm going off what i actually saw in game rather than the fps counter)
What pot is he smoking now?
Last edited by Deleted User 2433 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
fikrikawakibi
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Zephyr HAPS, ScanEagle, Citation X+, A340, 成都 歼-20

Post by fikrikawakibi »

Nnnuuuuuu D:
Krux wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm
fikrikawakibi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 amOr use direkt 3d, works everytime
Direct3D is going to be removed in the 2017 stable version. Soji declared a while ago that the DirectX 9 API is too old.
Kurosaki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kurosaki »

Remarkable improvement. Love that effect.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^Hello Kurosaki! Been a long time, nice to see you back! :)