News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief
Favorite Aircraft: All of them.

Policy Changes

Post by YSFHQ »

Policy Change - Avatar Size

Previously, avatars were a minimum of 20px by 20px, and a maximum of 150px by 150px. This policy has existed since the 2007 YSPilots days.

After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided that due to increasing internet speeds worldwide, and increasing screen sizes, we will now allow avatars to be a minimum of 16px by 16px, and a maximum of 320px by 240px.

It is Flakes personal understanding that this will not affect visibility of the forum, but it will add a slight amount of bandwidth increase for users as they cache the larger avatars some members may choose to add. This increase should be a one off, as the image would be stored in your image cache on your local PC.

Of course, the Admin team are welcoming and accepting of your feedback on this change. We hope it will be welcomed.

Kind Regards;

Your Elected Staff Team, Semester 1, 2017.
YSFlight Headquarters
Administrative / Official Account
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: Policy Change - Avatar Size

Post by u2fly »

YSFHQ wrote:Previously, avatars were a minimum of 20px by 20px, and a maximum of 150px by 150px. This policy has existed since the 2007 YSPilots days. After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided that due to increasing internet speeds worldwide, and increasing screen sizes, we will now allow avatars to be a minimum of 16px by 16px, and a maximum of 320px by 240px.
Please, add two more rules:
  • only JPG and PNG files supported - do not use animated GIF (because it could be more than few megabytes with 150x150 resolution);
  • avatar must be uploaded directly on YSFHQ (no any URL links to 3rd party websites);

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Nah, I disagree.

Gifs aren't THAT bad. I understand you may be negatively affected by this personally u2fly due to your specific internet restrictions, I have had the thought. That said, I don't believe we should limit the usage just to appease the very few.

The current bandwidth use should go up by no more than 3 times pro-rata usage. Personally I like the gifs and would prefer more people use them, they look nice!

As for hosting only on HQ, doesn't make sense - other hosts are far faster than HQ, have a lot more bandwidth/storage space to share.

If gifs are bad for you, you can add an extension to your browser to disable the loading of GIFs. ;)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... balb?hl=en

^^ This extension intercepts the HTTP request for the GIF image and replaces it with a still image of just the first frame, news I think will be very welcome to you.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

u2fly wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 amavatar must be uploaded directly on YSFHQ (no any URL links to 3rd party websites);
There's also the problem that when everyone uploads images directly to HQ it causes issues because websites only have so much space alloted to them, so linking images to third party websites helps to alleviate these restrictions.
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief

Policy Change - Can now edit and delete own mchat posts for 30 seconds.

Post by YSFHQ »

Policy Change - Can now edit and delete own mchat posts for 30 seconds.

Previously, users could not go back and edit typos on their mchat messages, or delete messages that were just typed in.

After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided to allow a 30 second window for you to edit or delete your mchat posts. For consistency, we will only allow 30 seconds here, so if you make a typo, please go back and fix it! ;)

Of course, the Admin team are welcoming and accepting of your feedback on this change. We hope it will be welcomed.

Kind Regards;

YSFlight Headquarters
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief

Policy Change - Created Policy/Rule/Constitution change discussion forum.

Post by YSFHQ »

Policy Change - Created Policy/Rule/Constitution change discussion forum.

Previously, users could only have policies, rules or the constitution changed by appealing to Elected or Core forum staff.

After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided to create a new forum for you to propose any changes to policy, rules, or the constitution you would like to see without the need to seek out staff.

The purpose of this change is to encourage users to submit their own ideas for changes to YSFHQ. If a change is favourable, it should be implemented by the current staff. This policy change also allows users to propose changes if they do not have faith in the current administration to discuss/implement, which is a fair alternative option.

You are of course encourage and welcome to speak to your elected staff representatives to have changes implemented, as this requires less voting power on your part and is much faster. That said, if you would prefer to run something by the community first, you are also encouraged to do so.

Please do see the Sticky at the top of these forums for advice and guidance as to what would constitute a Policy, Rule or Constitutional change, and how to create these topics for other members to discuss and vote on. Please note a discussion must first be started, and when ready to proceed to vote, Admins will move your topic to the voting forum and set the poll up for you. :)

Kind Regards;

YSFlight Headquarters
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief

Policy Change - Can now change username once every 6 months.

Post by YSFHQ »

Policy Change - Can now change username once every 6 months.

Since it's not too much work to do, and we want people to be able to use the usernames they want to use rather than creating new accounts, the admin team have decided by a 3:0 vote after discussion to allow users to change their username once every 6 months.

This is in contrast to the prior policy where we allowed you to change your username only ONCE at all (which was never really followed anyway.)

Hopefully this frees up some options for people regarding their usernames.

To request a username change, please ask any of your elected staff members via PM. (Core staff might be a bit busy, but they can probably help you to. Flake advises speaking to any of the elected forum staff members for username changes as these staff are quite experienced and ready to help you in this regard.)

We hope this new policy change will be supported by the community, and we welcome your feedback on the matter.

Kind Regards;

YSFlight Headquarters
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief

Policy Change - Forum and Discord Name Parity

Post by YSFHQ »

Policy Change - Forum and Discord Name Parity

Currently on the Discord server we have allowed for users to have whatever username they want within reason.

This is currently creating problems for the staff and therefore we are needing to change it to allow for easier moderation and to reduce the possibility for mistakes being made when dealing with any problems/

Therefore following a vote of staff we are announcing that users must make sure that they are easily identifiable on Discord.

The requirement isn't for the name to be the same however your username on Discord must contain your HQ username.
For example if Welshy wanted the Discord username Welsh it wouldn't be allowed however if he were to have the username "Welshy2017" it would be allowed.

We are going to give a weeks grace period for users and will remind all members that username changes can either be actioned themselves on Discord or requested to any Admin on HQ.

This is how you change your nickname on a Discord server:

Regards

Your Elected Staff Team, Semester 2, 2017
YSFlight Headquarters
Krux
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: Super Bug

Re: Policy Change - Forum and Discord Name Parity

Post by Krux »

I don't know if that would be correct, but shouldn't we limit Discord usage to registered forum members only?

I mean, there's a real LOT of people on the HQ Discord that aren't registered, and they don't give any real contributions at all (not counting people who are invited by HQ members and do the same...)

I find it cool that people can easily find the Discord and join the community, don't get me wrong, but i think people should start first in the forum rather than the Discord.

Apart from that, my nickname on Discord was always Krux, so for me its cool.
Attention all squads, Freddy Fazbear is now being deployed
Buster
Favorite Aircraft: B-26

Post by Buster »

I think the policy is fair and shouldn't be a problem to easily implement.

For anyone who would like to keep their nickname, you could do:
nickname | ForumName

When it comes to enforcement on the Mod Team's side, this could also be an easy solution when having to change unoffensive names.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Nah I dont like it tbh

If you guys are having trouble with discord why not create roles where you can add certain permissions? Or piggybacking of of Krux's suggestion why not make new people who join force read the rules_faq channel where theyre directed to the forums to make an account, get a pin via forum dm and post it in discord to confirm its not a random spammer or raider if its really a problem. All this could be easily handled by bots btw
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Indy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by Indy »

This solution seems perfectly fine.

Not sure why it'd be an issue for some of you to just change your Discord name, of all things. I do like Smith & Krux's idea of a "private" server though, but I don't think that's the same issue the mods are trying to deal with right now.
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros »

I was wondering who those other people are who don't say anything at all.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Welshy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:40 amThis is how you change your nickname on a Discord server
Thanks for that. Of course after I made a change to a "joke" name, Discord told me I had to wait to change it again, but I got it fixed now. :)
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by Monoceros »

I made a joke name and was kicked almost immediately after that.
Sierra
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Post by Sierra »

Monoceros wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 am I made a joke name and was kicked almost immediately after that.
That's how policies work. If something violates said policy, action is taken.

Amazing, isn't it?
Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by Monoceros »

Yeah, but it was technically before the time because it was still the 26 my time. And from talking with another user, I was the only one kicked. So I questioned why that was the case. Meh.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

you can always rejoin with your hq username, but if you like both usernames you can do it like nick:
Nick | Buster wrote:I have the name i want to display followed by the name im known as
so long as your hq username is included, you won't be kicked.