[Linux] Bad memory problem when idle

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
acf492
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: 737

[Linux] Bad memory problem when idle

Post by acf492 »

This is a warning to Linux users. I planned to make a posting with a full list of issues with the Linux version, but I'm going ahead with this particular problem now as it is bad, by that I mean you can lose unsaved work.

I have observed that only when sitting idle at the main menu, YSFlight 20150425 (the 64-bit GL-1.0 edition, probably the others) will continuously use up more and more memory, at the astonishing rate of 1MB/sec.

Because of the ability to allocate more unused memory blocks than actually exist on the system, there is an Out-Of-Memory (OOM) killer which will start to terminate programs at random in the rare case that more memory needs to be used than the total available.

I noticed this because my web browsing started becoming incredibly slow, and hard drive activity was continuous. I found that YSFlight had reached 19.5GB of requested memory space and my poor web browser was being subjected to swap allocation... (my PC has 16GB RAM with 16GB swap space) I closed YSFlight and everything got back to normal. But this could have been worse if I was AFK and had unsaved work in a word processor for example, as the OOM killer might have randomly killed it without warning.

The simplest prevention is to just close YSFlight immediately after using it, so it doesn't have a chance to fill all your memory. I will definitely include this in a submission of bug reports for the Linux version when I have the time, and will follow-up in this thread to let you know I reported it.
I'm back.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: [Linux] Bad memory problem when idle

Post by Neocon »

I would also like to point out that if you remain logged into my server for hours without activity, it starts to drain my resources.
acf492
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: 737

Post by acf492 »

Neocon wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 amI would also like to point out that if you remain logged into my server for hours without activity, it starts to drain my resources.
Are you running a Linux version of the server? Does the "Free memory when possible" option help? I haven't seen any problems with my Showcase server, but maybe I'll disable the 3hr restart and test that out.
I'm back.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I use the OpenYS server, so there are a lot of differences.