Joystick or Keyboard?

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Not1011
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed L1011, F-100 Super Saber, Boeing 727

Joystick or Keyboard?

Post by Not1011 »

I haven't played YSFlight for about a month now (dang FSX is addictive). I often played with keyboard, sometimes playing with joystick.

What do you use? Or prefer?
I did not sell very well, so Lockheed killed me. I'm the reason it doesn't make airliners anymore.

Random stuff:
1. They ain't "sharklets", like Turbofan said.
2. The Tu-114 should really go back into service in a redesigned form.
3. The L-1011 should also return, too.
4. My posts are repeatedly deleted on the AM3 forum.
5. Concorde must return!
6. Fegelein can never die, even when Hitler himself tries to kill him. (Downfall parodies)
7. Embraer should restart production of the EMB-110 and EMB-120, as those are my two favourite prop planes.

"LoL cArgO dOOr" -McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, my sworn enemy
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Re: Joystick or Keyboard?

Post by Turbofan »

I use the mouse and keyboard. Mouse for pitch and roll, left mouse button for spoilers fully deployed/fully retracted (on main gear touchdown), right mouse button for full reverse thrust after landing (if needed), and the keyboard everything else. As far as yaw is concerned, I have auto-rudder switched on. Manually trying to move the rudder while flying in YS just doesn't work like it should.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

I also use keyboard and mouse: mouse movements used for control turret, LMB used for shoot machine gun, RMB used for select weapon.

Here is my "Key Assignments" for keyboard: viewtopic.php?f=284&topic=3938&p=98301#p98301

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I started playing with a mouse, but transitioned to a joystick.

It depends on what kind of flying you want to do, but for civilian, mouse has a few advantages.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Indy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by Indy »

As mentioned above, mouse and keyboard works just fine for civilian use. It's also a lot more convenient and efficient when it comes to having to reach for all the buttons depending on your set-up.

If you're into precision or aerobatic flying, a proper joystick (and maybe even pedals) are essential.

I personally am using the Thrustmaster Warthog stick & throttle along with Saitek Pro Flight pedals. I've also had plenty of experience with and really like the Thrustmaster T-Flight stick which I still bring with me on trips since it's reliable and much easier to transport.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Mouse!

I often dig out my joystick now-days but for the longest time I flew with a mouse, and you can pull off a damned decent formation with it with a high enough DPI and appropriate settings.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

I use [Sietek Proflight yoke], rudder pedels[CH Pro], throttle quadrant[Fsxthrottle, gear, brakes, elev., rudder trim, Prop RPM], and a button console[Desktop aviator] for avionics and Navs. Works really good for single and twin light A/C GA flights that I exclusively fly. Still, need a few keyboard assignments for general YS utilities. 2015 version.
Image[/align=centre]