Your Desktop (HARDWARE EDITION!)

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: Your Desktop (HARDWARE EDITION!)

Post by Gunny »

After so many years I am getting a computer upgrade from my old Lenovo ThinkCentre O/S Windows XP to a new Lenovo IdeaCentre 310s Windows 10, not exactly a whizbang gaming machine, but much better than my old XP machine. AMD graphics instead of the dinosaur intell card. a very long 4-6 weeks delivery time. An irony, the same day I ordered the computer I had a particularly bad angina attack, so at the emergency room found out I had a new physical problem, An arterial embolism, and the hits just keep on coming :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image[/align=centre]
Ace Lord
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: B-52H Stratofortress

Post by Ace Lord »

Windows XP....now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Last time I saw that OS was back in '15 when I first got hired on at the college and we were putting Win7 on all of the mothballed computers.
< BoH
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

The new start menu layout might be a bit of a change, but I bet it will run so much faster that you won't have time to worry about the new "features". I suggest turning off Cortana and all the tracking, not to stop tracking, but it will save some system resources.

As for the health issues, I'm sorry to hear you've got more trouble. It's hard to hit back when it's your own body out to get you.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Just the price I pay for disabusing my body in my younger days. I am just blessed for being here for as long as I have. And believe me when I say the battle is not over. I still have a lot of fight left in me. Most of my problems are agent orange related so the Veterans Administration covers my back medically and financially. I am not an easy man to kill :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image[/align=centre]
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

What cooler do you have? 8700K does 5 ghz with not too much work.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Will the 750 Ti not be bottlenecked to hell?
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

I'm sure that's a placeholder, since the videocard market is pretty terrible right now, especially in Australia
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I don't use the graphics card too much - I'm mostly playing games from 2010 and back. I'll eventually upgrade but I'm in no rush.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Gennaro
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 777, F-16

Post by Gennaro »

So I've been off from YSFlight and gaming in general because of college and life basically and I got rid of my old decent PC and bought myself a Macbook for my studies since I didn't really have time to play games and I needed a laptop that was portable but powerful enough for me to bring to classes and also because I started working occasionally as a DJ. I still rarely hopped on YS and some other games because I had them installed on my Macbook. But since I just finished the 5th semester of my studies in college, I have a bit more time on my hands and I decided that I want to get back on playing games and such. So I decided to buy a cheap Desktop that I could get my hands on and a friend of mine offered me a cheap desktop PC which I got at a very decent price. Specs:

AMD A8-7600 Kaveri 3.1GHz Quad Core
Motherboard FM2+
Ram 8GB DDR3
500 GB HDD
Radeon R7 2GB
PSU 500W

It's nothing much, but this is my first AMD computer and I'm quite surprised that this spec could run a number of games very well. I am very surprised that these specs could run GTA 5 on Normal settings at 40 FPS which I think is really good for an APU with an integrated graphics card (Radeon R7). I am currently using this just for general browsing at home and occasional gaming and I'll just use my laptop for my college work and DJing. I'm planning to maybe install a proper graphics card on this even though I am very satisfied with the current one
I like coffee and mexican food, but not at the same time.
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Had a slight update last year
Gateway DX4860
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit
Memory: 2 Terabyte
Monitor: AOC E2060SWD, 19 inch screen size, 1600x900 resolution
Audio/ Voice Comms: Razer Kraken USB headset
Keyboard: The one that came with my computer, IIRC.
Mouse: GE 97986 wired optical mouse
Gamepad: Logitech F310
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

MD5Ray01 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 amGamepad: Logitech F310
My generic PS3-style controller doesn't work with a lot of games, so I broke down and got a PowerA XB360 wired controller. A couple months in and the right trigger stopped working. If I took it apart, I could get it working for a few days, but I went and got a MS XBOne controller. Within an hour the A button started sticking, so the next day I got a replacement for it. It works, but randomly drops the bluetooth connection sometimes.

What has been your experience with the F310? I almost bought it when I got the first PowerA controller because it has layout closer to PS controllers.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I got the new computer set it up, and will be sending it back lock, stock, and windows[sucks]10. Ys will not function, and my flight sim controllers software is corrupted and useless. What a disappointing letdown this was. Well back to the tried and true XP for me.
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Could it be a driver issue? You might try plugging everything in, turning it on, and just waiting. Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs drivers for new devices, and that can take a while with lower-end hardware and depending on the speed of your internet connection. Plus, there will be hours of Windows updates that are automatically installed, and that will slow everything down.
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

Gunny wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pmI got the new computer set it up, and will be sending it back lock, stock, and windows[sucks]10. Ys will not function, and my flight sim controllers software is corrupted and useless. What a disappointing letdown this was. Well back to the tried and true XP for me.
Please let us help, Gunny. I hated WIn10 as well, but finally it started working for me. (even my flight sim controller software). We worry because having any internet connection on an Xp machine is very, very risky security rise.

I've run 2011-2018 YS versions on windows 10. What messages were you getting?
VFA-49 FORUM

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Thank you guys [Vic]. It seems that my bank decided that I should have a free new computer today because they removed the charge out of my account and restore my funds for it ;) But stand by because I am going into the hospital today for pre-operative evaluation for another open heart surgery. that will be the third in twenty years. So when I get back I just may take up your offer of help because I got some quotes from some tech services and they start a $150.00 an hour :x Wish me luck guys see you on the flip side. Love ya all.
Image[/align=centre]
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper »

Roger that Gunny. You use that strength to get back to us, and then we'll see what we can do about this new pc. Forget about those geek squad guys, we got this covered.
VFA-49 FORUM

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Best wishes for your health in the New Year Gunny, and although I'm no good when it comes to putting a computer together (software guy talking here) we have members like Vic Viper and others who know their beeswax when it comes to stuff like this. I've learned a thing or two just by reading their posts, who knew right?
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I got back last night from all the tests at the hospital, the upshot is #1 I cannot have another open heart surgery due to too much scar tissue from the first two surgeries, #2 the anesthesiologist cannot guarantee that I will come out of the anesthetic due to my uncontrolled blood sugar. They are going to try to manage all my conditions with medications. So no operations in the future for me. So basically I will live till I die. Also when I got home my kids had sent the computer back to Lenovo, they thought they were doing a good thing as I wanted ;) And I did not contradict their good intentions :) So it seems that fate took a hand in my tech future as well as my health. Thanks, Vic of your kind offer for help, but it seems the point is moot now. At least I saved a little money :roll:
Image[/align=centre]
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Well, to answer Patrick's question on the F310, it's a pretty good gamepad for the price (got it for $20 at Target)
As for computer builds, I had to change over from one PC to another because an update borked my systems:

Gigabyte Technology Z97X-Gaming 7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K @3.50GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 16.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
Memory: 2 Terabyte (same hard drive as the old computer, too)
Monitor: AOC E2060SWD, 19 inch screen size, 1600x900 resolution
Audio/ Voice Comms: HyperX Cloud II headset
Keyboard: The one that came with my computer, IIRC.
Mouse: Logitech G502 wired mouse
Gamepad: Logitech F310
HOTAS: Thrustmaster T16000M
Last edited by MD5Ray01 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015