Team up build a new simulator?

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
C05MIC
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-15S/MT Eagle+

Team up build a new simulator?

Post by C05MIC »

So as I have been reading a lot of people are complainning about Soji work when it comes to YSFlight deveopment.

However i just want to mention with the energy that goes into criticizing and running down soji efforts,

You could use your means to team up and build a a new architecture that would be more stable and more advanced???

I'm just throwing this out there because i see some very passionate individuals on here and i don't doubt they have the means to make something happen.

However if i knew how to code and what not i would start on developing a simulator myself

but i never had an interest in high school i took coding and just played halo PC haha yea we did that.

Anyways as far as the content and skill and talent you all should be proud your achievements in design and creative with aviation design is outstanding.

but lets just get the facts down.

Why do we love YSFLIGHT??

is it because of how simple it is and not overly complex?

is it because it can run on low spec hardware?

is it because of the community we bonded with and grew together?

is it because of the ability to create and add content of your own design?

is it because you like the feel of the low poly simulator?

I have seen many developers create maps to amazing incredible detail and tricks and methods to push the engine to its limits.

But as many say yes it is limited in a lot of ways and yes its not updated and fixed exactly! but what do you expect from 1 single coder, i mean he started this as a project and look how far hes been able to learn about coding as well as better hes knowledge for hes life and even the fact that he has shared this with the community.

don't bite the hand that feeds is a saying

He even mentions in hes blog that he is still developing for YSFLIGHT in hes own way let him

If you guys want new things then form your team and start getting to it otherwise theirs no reason to complain be grateful that you even have a platform that has brought many of you from all places of the world together with your passion and love for aviation including mine.

I used to be on a team that was going to create the next flight simulator to rival prepar3d and x plane in the beginning it was full proof we had a team and we had all the means of organizing even starting a concept that easily could have become a future for all of us and our lives and love of aviation.

However when it came down to it nothing got done conflict of time and communication and therefore it never took off.

The problem is not whats been done the problem is what you could be doing if you want it that badly theirs nothing you cant do.

I enjoy it and am grateful for it its allowed me to have ambitions and means to further my talent and desire to model advanced aircraft and learn to better my skills in aerospace design.

I support all developers this is in no way bashing on anyone as more to encourage and remind of the good that's been done.

See you in the Sky's Pilots
ELECTROSPHERE IS THE FUTURE......

MESSAGE TERMINATED.....
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Re: Team up build a new simulator?

Post by Flake »

I've considered it, and it would need to use YSF models ideally. - SRF, dnm etc.

But it's just going to be too much work for one person right now. And not to put anyone else down or toot my own trumpet but I think I'm the only one that's around at the moment that could do it, and even then that's a stretch.

Making an open source game server is one thing, but making a full on sim is a whole other can of worms.

I think it's a pipe dream friend.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
C05MIC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C05MIC »

well flake what would i be able to do that you would need help if you were to go through with that goal what would you need because i am just as passionate to assist its knowing what the other wants and is looking at its only a pipe dream until you gather the hearts of those who are burning with the same dream. that's how presidents are elected

so if you need help count me in just know i don't code but i do model and texture and everything 3d

MESSAGE TERMINATED.....
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I need more time when I am so time poor I am in time poverty.

I'm now juggling full time uni, full time work and a project in business. I cannot add the required development of a new game into the mix.

You cannot give me time.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
C05MIC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C05MIC »

no problem brother your doing fine take it easy and take care of what you need to do

MESSAGE TERMINATED.....
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Problem with using YS models is that whilst some of the formats are free to use, if I recall correctly SRF is locked down by Soji

Also moved out of YS as this is an aside I guess
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

So in regards to the whole post (which i'm not going to nitpick even if some things could've been worded differently) building a whole new sim to replace YS would be something of a waste of time and resources.

There's no way Soji would give his blessing towards a new team using assets from YS towards a new game. That rules out keeping decades of existing mods.

At the same time YS is an incredibly niche game among the flight sim genre. The simplicity appeals to the community here but not a lot of people favor that. Especially when spoken in the same breath as War Thunder, FSX, X-Plane, and DCS. Making a new game (assuming a full asset port from YS) would be even more niche compared to YS because of the fact that talk of a new game feels exclusive to the English side of the community. Doing this for FREE would be an even bigger stretch for a coding team.

It'd be an admirable undertaking, no doubts there. And I'm not trying to be a debby downer.. Just getting some thoughts out.

Now I suppose it'd be possible to change some file names and work on some python scripts for blender since .DNM and co are a readable model format that can be plainly edited in notepad. It's harder to lock that down but since it's a gray area there's always some risk to it on other fronts.
AidanAJC
Favorite Aircraft: Me 163 Komet

Post by AidanAJC »

Honestly cosmic, I have not been on here a lot but i do agree with what you say. I always find it saddening when people complain about Soji and his development towards YSFlight. I would love to help, i just think the largest trouble i sorting out a crew that is reliable and accountable, as the lives of people are unpredictable. Let me know what i can do. Also, sorry I know I am running on a tangent here, but is there any upcoming airshows? If so, provide me with a link to the page, may also work to gather more people and bring attention to the development of YSFlight. :idea:
C05MIC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C05MIC »

Thanks for your thoughts and comments guys nothing starts without first being discussed.

most importantly that's how we communicate and find what relates and what we have in common regardless of such I look forward to the future in any way. I would gladly dedicate time out of my life with what i have no to even being such a feat to start a legacy to evolve an old one either way all of us are talented and incredible.

Time may be a factor but if you have a passion that's what keeps the fire burning either way I am excited to see what becomes of us.

Dealing with model formats i agree with Swift most importantly creating an engine that would utilize the format also in a user friendly way i think that's why YSFLIGHT is so easy to pickup and learn although be nice if the export import scripts for blender were updated to 2.79

In any case i also think learning to code optimally to run on basic hardware as of late alot of coders do not refine or optimize code to push the limit of basic hardware like back in the day with developers for like PSX use a template of what you would work with and push to your limits to explore the capabilities of what you can do nothing is impossible.

current engines out there you have direct x unreal unity and other based platforms.

taking into account the requirements for a working engine

would need to list what would need to be done as well as worked on.

Either way its an exciting topic thanks for your thoughts and opinions guys! 8-)

Also another thing

What if we all just spent 1 HOUR developing think about it no more then 1 hour is like playing through a level of halo no normal or something or legendary. One thing that I have been thinking about alot and applying is small consistent habits infact i have been reading a book called atomic habits and it talks about how you do small tasks they dont have to be grandiose but in time those small tasks of effort add up and pretty soon you got something that you didnt think you would have time for. Example working out even if its like 10 minutes

slow consistent acts bring incredible change

a penny for your thoughts

Also Flake thank you for your development on OPENYS i have tried it out and must say well done.

And all of you guys

Also who said this had to be an English project i bet the community of YSFLIGHT itself all around the world could do it but again ideas and thoughts everyone is entitled to there lives and time and i appreciate and respect all of you.
I mean decaff has dedicated time to development as well as hes vid tutorial on youtube which helped me alot since i am a visual learner and also flake for challenging me to modify an existing model to change its color.

Not to mention reading comments such as flake getting hes hopes up saying Ho HO HO soji clause has come early i LOL'd lol the community makes me want to do everything i can to be part of that experience.

Also has helped me alo't with depression

its the motivation to accomplish something that drives me but nothing more wonderful then to feel the support of your fellow members that's how Sparta took on Persia with the vigor united we stand divided we fall HAZAHhhhhhhh

MESSAGE TERMINATED.....
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

Personally, I think it would be a better use of time and resources to try and expand the YS player base. Making a new game is, to be frank, a waste of effort if exactly ten people on the planet know it exists, and five of them are the developers.

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
C05MIC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C05MIC »

I don't disagree with what your saying i think the biggest thing would just be making sure new players can enjoy and find easy the ecosystem with enough variety to satisfy there needs with events of course.

A more connected Community will attract many for sure

MESSAGE TERMINATED.....