Designing Air Race Maps

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Designing Air Race Maps

Post by decaff_42 »

As some folks have seen, we are looking to run a series of Air Races through 2019. Part of the first events will be on established race courses, however I'd like to spice things up a bit and make some new air racing maps.

Now I've never made one before and I'm not the best racer by any stretch, but I figured I'd start and ask you all for help with ideas and critique.

General Ground Rules:
  • Routes should be easy to follow. While multiple routes may be on a single map, they should be color coded in-game using color-blind-friendly colors. I'm thinking Blue, Red and Black.
  • Gates, rings, pylons will be used as waypoints and should be made up so that multiple color routes can be followed through the same ground object.
  • All routes shall have a colored line on the ground showing the way between waypoints

Racing Styles I'm considering working on
  • Canyon races (Libya)
  • Red Bull
  • Gradual Rings (York Valley)
  • Urban (San Andreas / Mhw3)

Questions I'd like input on:
  • Are the BLUE (0x0000FF), RED (0xFF0000) and BLACK (0x232323) colors okay? Should they be different shades? Looking at some sample ideas I'm thinking they should, but I'd appreciate your input.
  • How long (time-wise) should a race be for any given style of racing?
  • Do you think multiple courses (perhaps some with alternate routes) could be put into different regions of a single map? Or should each course be it's own map?

Some Example waypoint ground objects:
ImageImage
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: Designing Air Race Maps

Post by Neocon »

I kind of liked how we ended up doing the San Andreas race with best out of three runs. Each run was not too long, and best out of x attempts gives a chance for a comeback if one run doesn't go well (explosions). :lol:
Indy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by Indy »

Looking good. I'm a big fan of the color choices and the thought that went into them.

As for timing goes, I think it just varies on each style of racing. I don't have too much of an opinion on the canyon, ring, and urban styles of racing and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about that. As for the Red Bull style, assuming the courses are true to the real thing, I think time trials will be the way to go. Short time trials make a lot more sense than practically throwing in several planes into a blender at the same time.

As for the multiple course aspect, I think it would make more sense to have each course be a separate map. I have a feeling it'll be more lag-friendly. I'm sure nobody wants to risk lag during a race!
Grigor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Ball-Bartoe Jetwing

Post by Grigor »

Hi guys. I've grabbed the Raceway Map from (I think) TF58/PMNV and been fiddling with it. Here are some of the waypoint ground objects and course markers I've made. The red / green port / starboard helps avoid confusion. Everything's pretty much based on the work of others.
race 1.jpg
Start gate with progressive red / amber / green lights, based on a simple straight-line motion path.
race 2.jpg
Course markers and waypoints. The basic marker has a red+downward arrow on back, for marking a ridgeline where a downward turn is required. The chevron barricades are also illuminated.
race 3.jpg
I've added some crazy twists and turns (this one through the stock SFC.srf ground object) only navigable by some of the outrageously manoeuvrable (cheat!) planes I've been building.

If you're interested I can upload some / any of these objects.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Indy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 amAs for the multiple course aspect, I think it would make more sense to have each course be a separate map. I have a feeling it'll be more lag-friendly. I'm sure nobody wants to risk lag during a race!
Maps can have multiple courses and still be light on the frames, PMNV Ice Planet is one example. It has multiple courses to choose from but I was getting a smooth 64 fps during pretty much the entire race, dropping down to a minimum of 50 fps (still well above the usual 30 fps threshold). If done right, multi-course maps have the fun element of allowing more than one race but each race being a different difficulty level.
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

Definitely watching this thread with interest! I wanna race some fools for pink slips!
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131