Thought of the day.

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Richard Vo
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A380, JAS-39

Re: Thought of the day.

Post by Richard Vo »

TODT
Maybe I shouldn't have heard of Murphy's law, because ever since I heard about it, I will get extremely paranoids about any potential bad situation, even a small one
The A380 is ahead of its time. With the resilient passenger traffic growth for times to come (reference from Airbus's Global Market Forecast), plus congested airports, the A380 could not be ignored.

By any chance if you have Instagram, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero and if you have Twitter, please drop a follow on @vhaq_aero. Appreciate that!
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

That part of getting older where I would rather munch on a bag of carrots at 11pm than that box full of brownies I got.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Somebody somewhere got a hold of the password I used for several of my social and media accounts and started logging into Twitter, Hulu, Spotify, and Twitch. All sites that use a certain e-mail address as the sign-in name. I was lucky to catch them as they were happening, no serious damage seems to have been done. I went through and changed passwords to pretty much every account I have that I wouldn't want to lose. I've also started setting up two-factor authentication for the sites that have that option.

All of this leads to my thought of the day. Your data isn't really safe. Two-factor authentication goes through a service that can be compromised. Password managers can be compromised. Far too many sites that operate using financial information (Hulu, CBS, Pandora, etc.) do not have two-factor authentication as far as I can tell. Am I any safer now than I was before this happened?
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Oof. Sorry to hear your accounts got compromised.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Thought of the day: There are only two ways to deal with supply shortages when demand is high: Higher prices or rationing. The American government (and probably many others) has decided higher prices are illegal "gouging", so rationing is the only legal option.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^Many stores are rationing now. And glad you caught the jerk/s in action and got your passwords changed. And you already seem to have done that but yes, having a different password for each site is also a good thing. Make your password as long and as complicated as you possibly can. I also try and change my passwords every 3-4 months (or as often as I remember).
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

My thought of the day: why is it that people say "I am on the airplane" instead of "I am in the airplane"? Because, technically, you actually are going into the plane, as opposed to on it i.e. you would be on the fuselage if you were on the plane, but you are walking into an airplane's cabin when you board it. It's a physical entity that provides an enclosure, and when you are fully surrounded by an enclosure, you are in that enclosure, not on it. See my point?

I have actually been thinking about this for a while now but I finally decided to put this here.

And if you don't agree with me, think about this: no one says I'm on the car or I'm on the store. ;)

Yeah, probably random musings here but it gives you some food for thought.
jsu2
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by jsu2 »

im on the bus
Pipes_Gripes
Favorite Aircraft: J1N Gekko

Post by Pipes_Gripes »

Turbofan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 pm think about this: no one says I'm on the car or I'm on the store
It seems that one is "in" something that they control (their own car, their own location) as opposed to being "on" something that is out of their control (A rollercoaster, bus, etc.)

What most clearly expresses this to me is how I would say I am "on" a commercial flight as compared to "in" my own plane.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Pipes_Gripes wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:02 pmIt seems that one is "in" something that they control (their own car, their own location) as opposed to being "on" something that is out of their control (A rollercoaster, bus, etc.)

What most clearly expresses this to me is how I would say I am "on" a commercial flight as compared to "in" my own plane.
Interesting... I don't associate "on" with something that is not mine but I can see where that's coming from. It's kind of a mental association I guess.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Yeah, I can ride in a car that somebody else is driving. Boats are somewhat problematic because I might step into a small boat, but I almost always think of stepping "onto" a larger boat or ship. I would never fly on a helicopter because the rotor blades spin too fast.

Consider this: "I'm in a seat on a plane." Well, you are inside the plane, not on it, but you are sitting on the seat, not in it.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Thought of the day: A website that is named "FlightAware" always seems to have the most anti-aviation people commenting on nearly every news article. Go figure.
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Thought of the day:
Anger... fury... rage... wrath... ire... All drive people to do irrational things. That's what we're seeing. It's an insidious emotion. It worms its way into one's heart and festers. It builds and builds until it hits its boiling point, then erupts into violence. The violence then leads into more violence, until nothing is left.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Thought of the day:
Has anybody else noticed that the more likely somebody is to have serious problems from the "human malware", the less worried they are about it? My 93 year old grandmother has basically continued living her life like nothing was going on. The older people I know are wanting to go back to normal now, while the under-30 people I know think the world will end if somebody takes off their mask for .03 seconds and keep begging for more lock downs.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Neocon wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 am Thought of the day:
Has anybody else noticed that the more likely somebody is to have serious problems from the "human malware", the less worried they are about it? My 93 year old grandmother has basically continued living her life like nothing was going on. The older people I know are wanting to go back to normal now, while the under-30 people I know think the world will end if somebody takes off their mask for .03 seconds and keep begging for more lock downs.
That's not completely true. Those most at risk have been shielding from the virus and not going longer than lockdown lasted. The most at risk aren't always the oldest, my youngest sister is the most at-risk person I know.....
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

You see "artists" on Reddit complaining about "choosing beggars" who ask to pay for artwork that would cost $100 with "exposure" on their 50k subscriber Youtube or Instagram account.

Meanwhile, real advertisers are charging a whole lot more money to advertise to a much smaller audience on local radio. "Radio gets results" is the common song of local advertising agencies, and they often have a smaller audience than an "influencer" with 50,000 followers and charge a lot more than the cost of your online art.

Thought of the day: Most of the people who post in the r/choosingbeggars subredit are, in fact, the choosing beggars of the story.
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

Good luck finding a landlord or grocery store that takes exposure as payment. Some people need the money, others may not want the signal boost. And $100 is not equivalent to $100 worth of exposure to everyone. Someone who needs money for food tomorrow isn't going to care if 50,000 new people know their name.

If you ask for a 10mm socket wrench and I offer you two 5mm crescent wrenches instead, chances are you're gonna say no. That doesn't make you a choosing beggar.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Neocon wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:56 pm Somebody somewhere got a hold of the password I used for several of my social and media accounts and started logging into Twitter, Hulu, Spotify, and Twitch.
So today I was looking for an e-mail and checked my spam folder. Back in July somebody sent a message with my old password in the subject line, so I knew what was going on. They said they put malware on my account that used a key recorder to record my screen and web cam to see all of my friends and contacts and would send video of my web browsing activity (I'm paraphrasing, but you know what I mean here) to, and this was the best part, my eight friends. As if I have that many friends. To avoid this, I can send them 1,000 in bitcoin.

Of course it is a scam and of course they didn't put malware on my device, as I confirmed here, and my web cam has a privacy cover just so my NSA agent doesn't have to see me all the time. Even knowing that, it is a little scary. I can imagine people who don't know this is a scam who would be tempted to send the bitcoin, and it wouldn't take many people to provide a decent income to the scammer.

Thought of the day: I've never liked the phrase, "If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried?" Why do interior doors and window coverings exist? Everybody has something to hide.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Totd: I think all these gamers think they're being so cool when they say "this plane is cold and dark" when it is neither cold nor dark. Now I get it, it's a total fad but seriously, is it necessary to say it like it's some sort of custom before each flight?
KirboTime
Favorite Aircraft: C172

Post by KirboTime »

my thought of the day- ysflight should be considered the 3rd most realistic physics wise flight sim